What's the Best War Movie?

Saving Private Ryan
Kelly's Heros
Tora Tora Tora
Pearl Harbor
Patton
The Dirty Dozen

I didn't care for Deer Hunter or Apocalypse Now at all. Good Morning Viet Nam just plain sucked.

Good Morning Vietnam isn't really a war movie IMO.
It is a good movie if you just appreciate the comedy and the story of Robins character and forget the political understory trying to make the NV look like heros.
Robin Williams always made me sick.

Except for Popeye; he was the perfect Popeye.

There are only 3 movies ever made that make my eyes tear up.
Saving Private Ryan at the end where he asks his wife to tell him he was a good man.

Me too!!
Also the scene at the beginning when the General recites the letter from Lincoln and then turns to the other officer and says "now get him the hell out of there"

We Were Soldiers

Mel Gibson and Sam Elliot were able to meet who they portrayed in the movie, Lt. Col. Hal More and Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumley.

Here's a deleted scene I wish had made the cut:

That is a good movie, book was better.

Top 10?

Das Boot smokes 'em all. Especially the 3 1/2 hour director's cut in German with English subtitles.
I'd put Saving Private Ryan right behind it.
Then in no special order:
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Midway
Apocalypse Now
Lawrence of Arabia
Paths of Glory
The Deer Hunter
Patton
The Cruel Sea (This exceptional WWII Royal Navy drama about The Battle of the Atlantic, shot in 1952, stars Jack Hawkins but is almost unknown by war film buffs). You can get it on ebay from Korean vendors for about $10.

We Were Soldiers

Because I participated in that battle. I was with those guys from April 1964-Sept 1965 and knew most of them. Many are dead because of various cancers from Agent Orange so there's not many of us around. I got it in the prostate. On Nov 14 at 0620 hours we will celebrate our 50th anniversary at the Wall in Arlington. All of you here are invited to attend.

Go For Broke, 1951 with Van Johnson.

It's pretty cornball but the story of the 442 Regimental Combat Team is fascinating. I believe it's still the most decorated unit for its size in U.S. Army history. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Members of the team play roles in the movie. Nominated for an Oscar.

Trailer:

Full Movie:

Victory at Sea! Not a movie, per se, but the narration, music and actual footage of real combat and real bravery is far and away better than any fictionalized movie. I admit the opening of Saving Private Ryan is well done, but reality of D-Day is, well see for yourself:
Google

or google: Victory at Sea, episode 15

There are also some very awesome Dutch and Polish WWII movies, some of the best ones deal with the resistance in these occupied countries.
Here's a great Dutch one:

And if you've never seen The Train you're missing a great WWII movie.
Also not on the list was Where Eagles Dare and The Eagle has Landed.

Fury
Saving Private Ryan
Enemy at the Gates
All Quiet on the Western Front
Gettysburg (the Turner 4 hour marathon)
The Last Valley
Band of Brothers (mini series)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back