What would happen if???.

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
I worked minimum wage almost 50 years ago. $2.10 an hour which paid for college.
At the time, if you didnā€™t like the pay, the job conditions or bosses you were toldā€¦..If you donā€™t like it, we got two people who want your job.

Those conditions have held for 50 years with minimum wage frozen for 12 years

But what would happen ifā€¦ā€¦low wage workers decided they donā€™t want those terms anymore and employers couldnā€™t fill the shifts they have?

You would think it would mean higher wages and better working conditions. Instead, employers would rather close down than offer higher wages

I worked minimum wage almost 50 years ago. $2.10 an hour which paid for college.
At the time, if you didnā€™t like the pay, the job conditions or bosses you were toldā€¦..If you donā€™t like it, we got two people who want your job.

But what would happen ifā€¦ā€¦low wage workers decided they donā€™t want those terms anymore and employers couldnā€™t fill the shifts they have?

You would think it would mean higher wages and better working conditions. Instead, employers would rather close down than offer higher wages

Actually, it would depend on the job and the industry. Some business don't have much price flexibility and consumers aren't willing to pay more. The cost of a Dime Bag has remained at 10 bucks since I was a teen, example given.

An employer might not have a choice but to shut their doors forever.

rightwinger Small business owners don't shut down their business to make a point. Most of them are low profit margin businesses that would go straight into debt or bankruptcy if forced to pay $15 an hour MW.
What I am seeing is business only opening eight hours a day, five days a week

You would think economic pressures would cause them to increase pay and benefits to get the best employees.

How much do you lose being closed for two days?

50 years ago $2.10 was actually worth $2.10

The cost of living goes up with every note the fed prints. Price increases are only one consequence of inflation. And they still fudge with the CPI in order to alter the percieved impact of inflation with the 'full substitution' shtick chained CPI is known for.

The premise of this discussion/thread is all wrong, in my view. It's certainly out of context with the reality of the scope of the situation.

50 years ago $2.10 was actually worth $2.10

The cost of living goes up with every note the fed prints. Price increases are only one consequence of inflation. And they still fudge with the CPI in order to alter the percieved impact of inflation with the 'full substitution' shtick chained CPI is known for.

The premise of this discussion/thread is all wrong, in my view. It's certainly out of context with the reality of the scope of the situation.
Iā€™m just asking is it worth it to shut down instead of paying a competitive wage?

You would think economic pressures would cause them to increase pay and benefits to get the best employees.

If there aren't enough customers on those 2 days to cover the costs, you aren't losing anything.

Or they go toward automation.

Not how basic finance works. That means they have to charge more for product. My youngest got a steak and cheese sub and a drink. Cost $12 lol. Thatā€™s crazy. Was $8 like three years ago. Soon it will be $16.

cube steel wasn't a dollar an inch back then

Not how basic finance works. That means they have to charge more for product. My youngest got a steak and cheese sub and a drink. Cost $12 lol. Thatā€™s crazy. Was $8 like three years ago. Soon it will be $16.
EVERYTHING costs more
But it is not because workers are getting more pay

I would have jumped off a fucking building decades ago if I was still making min wage. If I went to college still making min wage, I'd chug aquarium cleaner

rightwinger Small business owners don't shut down their business to make a point. Most of them are low profit margin businesses that would go straight into debt or bankruptcy if forced to pay $15 an hour MW.
According to libturds, every business owner is a wealthy sob and needs to pay their lazy ass or it
Libturds expertise in business is running the mother fucker in the ground

Forum List

Back