What will happen if we do what Repubs want and Deregulate Business'

Same thing that happened in 2008. 2008 wasn't the first time that deregulated or underegulated businesses crashed the economy.

Deregulating businesses means you have to trust them to do the right thing. It's like leaving your house and car unlocked, out of trust.

Actually you don't have to trust them, you just have to allow consumers to chose who to do business with. And that's why your government solution is failure out of the gate. They start by removing choice and then you really do have to trust them, and the only thing you can trust politicians to do is screw you. And screw you they do.

Then we don't need ingredient labels on foods, and inspections, because if enough people die from a bad product,

people won't patronize that business?

lol

Did labeling laws keep people safe from the salmonella outbreak last year? Would they have known it was there if they had read the label?

Then we don't need ingredient labels on foods, and inspections, because if enough people die from a bad product,

lol

HOW EVER did we survive before idiotic Gubmint mandated LABELS?

Are you really that stupid? Government regulation didn't cause a need, it came from a need. That need was to keep people safe from corp's and those who ran them HAD TO BE MADE TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS.:clap2:

Explain the CPSIA. Also justify that it exempted the single company that caused the rush to protect us from companies that did not do the right thing.

lol

I guarantee that if your grocery store had 2 sections, one for mandatory labeled food and one for anything goes unlabeled food,

you wouldn't shop in the latter section.

I would, and I bet that you would too.

In fact, my bet is that you already do it. The anything goes food is in the produce section.

I would also like to point out that most of us grew up without mandatory labeling, and it did not cause half the problems you think it would to get rid of it.

lol

I guarantee that if your grocery store had 2 sections, one for mandatory labeled food and one for anything goes unlabeled food,

you wouldn't shop in the latter section.
But they already do...It's called the produce section....I buy tons of stuff from there.

What will happen if we do what Repubs want and Deregulate Business

We would be headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament– real wrath-of-God type stuff! Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave!Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

of course, we all know that corporations are very ethical and moral in their treatment of the environment, people and animals

corporations have never forced people to work 16-18 hours a day for peanuts

and live in shacks

and eat mud

and work in unhealthy conditions

and they never downsized american workers so they could hire cheap labor overseas

and they love to pay their fair share of taxes so they never hire lobbyists to get politicians to give them free rides

they've never dumped toxic waste and pollutants into our water supply or our air or into our childrens playgrounds

so we don't need to regulate big business because we know we can trust them to do the right thing

(not)

Aren't those all things that governments have done?

Why do you trust government, which actually has the power to force all of those things on you, over corporations, whom you can walk away from?

lol

Tell that to someone with a peanut allergy.

People with allergies are not the standard the rest of the world should live with. It is not the governments job to ensure the life of the exception to the rule.

lol

And we all know how terrible it was in the olden days, tripping over over all those dead people in the streets killed by peanut allergies! :rolleyes:

Funny that a certain bunch of conservatives don't want regulation, don't want oversight, don't want inspection, don't want rules,

and don't want people to be able to sue if some company poisons their kids or some doctor botches an operation.

Fortunately these idiots only represent a tiny percentage of the population, although, oddly enough, most of them seem to be here.

:lol:

People with allergies are not the standard the rest of the world should live with. It is not the governments job to ensure the life of the exception to the rule.

And here I keep being told that life liberty and the pursuit of happiness are God given unalienable rights,

and protecting those rights are true purpose of the Constitution.

:lol::lol::lol:

although, oddly enough, most of them seem to be here.

Damn scary stuff!! Put them with the other side of the street folks and its a hoot!

And here I keep being told that life liberty and the pursuit of happiness are God given unalienable rights,

and protecting those rights are true purpose of the Constitution.

:lol::lol::lol:

Citing peanut allergies as proof of the need for regulations is stupid.

We need regulations to protect us from common danger, not the exceptional ones. Unless the government starts mandating peanuts in food it does not violate the Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence, to have unlabeled peanuts in brownies.

Anybody who has read many of my posts on the political threads knows that I am a Constitutional originalist and a minimalist when it comes to the federal government. I want the federal government to secure our rights and do what it is constitutionally mandated to do and then leave us the hell alone to govern ourselves.

But I believe the federal government is constitutionally mandated to promote the general welfare and I have no problem with that including honest labeling of the food products we buy. When I buy a box of cereal or a can of peas I want to know what is in the box and what is in the can. If such labeling was not required, the door is wide open for unscrupulous profiteers to put just about anything in the box or can as filler or preservative or flavoring or whatever and we would have no way of knowing without hiring our own chemist which would be cost prohibitive and extremely unhandy.

With so much of our food crossing state lines and international boundaries, it is not feasible for the states to do this function as their costs of enforcing it outside of their jurisdiction would also be prohibitive.

I think a proposal by Sen Paul of KY is reasonable -- Any new regulation that would add an estimated $100M or so to costs or would have a significant effect on the price of goods or services would require congressional approval. That way you put it on congress to actually vote on significant regulations instead of punting to some regulatory agency and potentially leaving it to the courts.

I'm still waiting for this list of "unnecessary" regulations that some think we can do without. :eusa_whistle:

Start with the CPSIA.

Please explain how this is "unnecessary"? How is it "unnecessary" to know what is in the products we use and the food we eat?

Why is unnecessary? Are you serious?

http://amendthecpsia.com/2011/02/cpsia-congress-and-cpsc-in-the-clouds/

Burden of Toy Safety Law Imperils Small Handicrafters - NYTimes.com

What makes forcing crafters out of business necessary? What makes forcing churches to stop accepting donations of toys and children's clothing to distribute to others necessary?

I think a proposal by Sen Paul of KY is reasonable -- Any new regulation that would add an estimated $100M or so to costs or would have a significant effect on the price of goods or services would require congressional approval. That way you put it on congress to actually vote on significant regulations instead of punting to some regulatory agency and potentially leaving it to the courts.

I hadn't heard this but I really like the idea too. Other than general appropriations bills to fund the NECESSARY departments of government, I wish there would also be a concrete law that they couldn't bundle other expenditures into one big bill. Each expenditure of the taxpayers money would be in a stand alone bill and our fearless leaders would have to vote it up or down on the record. I think that one law would save us billions and billions every year.

And I would stop this nonsense in which they can vote on the floor and then later, after something is passed or voted down, change their vote in the record so it doesn't come back to bite them in the butt at election time. Nobody doing the work of the people should be able to 'revise and extend' (meaning change) their remarks in the official record after the fact either.

Forum List

Back