“What Republican can win 270 electoral votes in 2016?”

What Republican can win 270 electoral votes in 2016?
Well, we damn sure know that liberal leaning republicans like John McCain and Mitt Romney couldn't pull 270 electoral votes. Being "liberal light" doesn't earn votes from conservatives.

Presidents are elected by electoral votes

Which additional electoral votes would a conservative have won? Name the state

Can a Republican Win 270 Electoral Votes in 2016...or Ever? - The Daily Beast

Conservative Republicans uphold their conservative principles as a shiny badge of honor never to be tarnished. I, too, am a conservative Republican. However, I think like Ronald Reagan, who when trying to get legislation passed in 1983 said the following:

“I have always figured that a half a loaf is better than none, and I know that in the democratic process you’re not going to always get everything you want.”

Sadly, I also agree with former senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole, who appeared this past May on Fox News Sunday to discuss the growing conservative tilt among Republican primary and base voters when he stated that “Reagan wouldn't have made it” in today’s Republican Party.

That might actually be true, for at my conservative event, as I listened to speeches from a host of elected leaders, only one mentioned the “C word”: compromise. Instead of “compromise,” all I heard was “we must battle and fight to uphold the principles of conservatism.”

Now, I also believe in fighting for conservative principles, but realizing that conservatives are an ever shrinking minority within the electorate, it is imperative that Republicans nominate a presidential candidate (and other leaders) who can attract moderate voters by stating that he or she, like Reagan, are willing to accept a “half loaf instead of a whole” in order to solve the difficult issues facing our nation.

Otherwise, the GOP will remain locked out of the White House and leave our nation stuck in neutral with a gridlocked government. There is danger ahead for conservatives when core conservative principles are used as roadblocks to any progress.

This is an excellent article. There are some hard home-truths that need to be faced and dealt with before Republicans can even think about taking back the White House. I am hoping that since there is a veritable shit-ton of Republicans who want their party back, they will find a way to make it happen. Because this "I'm more conservative!" "No, I'M more conservative!" game is doing nothing to win moderates, and you need the moderates. You cannot win without them.

No republican will ever hold the WH again.

In 2008 a complete fool was elected. A man with no leadership skills or experience. And he did not do a damn thing that truly needed to be done.
In 2012 the dnc amazed me to no end. Their ability to lie, make utterly useless subjects head lines news, and completly bury just how poorly obama had done, set the bar so high, that no moral person or people could ever stoop as low as they did.

No person, of any moral value will ever win the WH

I suspect you are out of step with 99% of the human race, so please, please give us your reasoning.

Well, we damn sure know that liberal leaning republicans like John McCain and Mitt Romney couldn't pull 270 electoral votes. Being "liberal light" doesn't earn votes from conservatives.

None of the 3d party votes together could elect Romney, so your premise is bogus.

The correct answer is that Romney did not pull enough of the moderates to win.

Got it now?

Interestingly, for the rightwing jabbering, not one of them could name a Republican that has any chance of winning.

And I can make this thread even more interesting.

Name and produce ten pieces of legislature that was introduced and backed by Republicans where the American people would benefit by the passing thereof, with no included effort to benefit corporations, over the past five years.

Zero
Zip
Nada
Nothing

The treasonous Rs have happily wasted more than $50 million on their admittedly phony votes against ObamaCare but they won't spend a cent to create jobs, fix falling down infrastructure, education or any other thing that could actually benefit the people fo the US.

Except for radical teepotter types, people don't want to support their permanent state of vacation.

These,
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1KbHI4APUnoHICQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQ9QEwAQ&dur=586

These,
Google Image Result for http://i.imgur.com/2jl8kcV.png

Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan

Try again

These,
Google Image Result for http://i.imgur.com/2jl8kcV.png

Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan

Try again
I already pointed that out. Try to keep up.
Care to address the map I linked to that answered your question? Of course you don't, you prefer dishonesty. Carry on.

Conservative Republicans uphold their conservative principles as a shiny badge of honor never to be tarnished. I, too, am a conservative Republican. However, I think like Ronald Reagan, who when trying to get legislation passed in 1983 said the following:

“I have always figured that a half a loaf is better than none, and I know that in the democratic process you’re not going to always get everything you want.”

Sadly, I also agree with former senator and 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole, who appeared this past May on Fox News Sunday to discuss the growing conservative tilt among Republican primary and base voters when he stated that “Reagan wouldn't have made it” in today’s Republican Party.

That might actually be true, for at my conservative event, as I listened to speeches from a host of elected leaders, only one mentioned the “C word”: compromise. Instead of “compromise,” all I heard was “we must battle and fight to uphold the principles of conservatism.”

Now, I also believe in fighting for conservative principles, but realizing that conservatives are an ever shrinking minority within the electorate, it is imperative that Republicans nominate a presidential candidate (and other leaders) who can attract moderate voters by stating that he or she, like Reagan, are willing to accept a “half loaf instead of a whole” in order to solve the difficult issues facing our nation.

Otherwise, the GOP will remain locked out of the White House and leave our nation stuck in neutral with a gridlocked government. There is danger ahead for conservatives when core conservative principles are used as roadblocks to any progress.

This is an excellent article. There are some hard home-truths that need to be faced and dealt with before Republicans can even think about taking back the White House. I am hoping that since there is a veritable shit-ton of Republicans who want their party back, they will find a way to make it happen. Because this "I'm more conservative!" "No, I'M more conservative!" game is doing nothing to win moderates, and you need the moderates. You cannot win without them.

The problem is that since the mid 60's, the GOP has been giving half loaf after half loaf with a few full loafs tossed in like, ACA. A GOP President and Congress in 2016 is absolutely necessary to undo the damage.

Compromise with Democrats is like arguing with a would be murderer who wants to shoot you in the head and agreeing that he should stab you in the heart instead.
I agree that we need a candidate that is seen as more centrist than Cruz, but we also can't go with another lib in sheep's clothing like we have in the last 2 cycles.
Charisma will be important. You want someone who comes off like a guy you would like to hang out with for a beer.

Aside from his stance on immigration I think Marco Rubio best fits the bill so far.

It's not liberal leaning republicans. It's the candidate.

In 2008, the GOP wasn't going to win. We had basically 8 years of war, an economy that needed a $700B bailout right before the election, a white house that basically looked at everything as a 50.1% proposition.

In 2012 after the occupy movement, the GOP nominated not only someone who was a member of the 1% (Obama is too) but someone who looked, smelled, sounded like, oozed, and left a vapor trail of the 0.001% of the wealthiest people in the country. That was the subjective; the objectives were the 47% video...a showhorse in the Olympics, a car elevator for his house he was building, tax records that showed he paid less than I do as a % of income taxes, a guy who lives off his dividend income... There couldn't have been a worse candidate to nominate and, congratulations Republicans...you found him.

None of the 3d party votes together could elect Romney, so your premise is bogus.

Got it now?

Correct.

There are enough weak (“Reagan”) democrats and independents who will vote for a given republican presidential candidate provided they don’t perceive such a candidate as extreme on the social issues.

That republican candidate needs to:

Respect a woman’s right to privacy and reproductive choice

Acknowledge the equal protection rights of same-sex couples to access marriage law

And acknowledge the due process rights of immigrants and seek immigration reform

By taking the above positions, a GOP presidential candidate will in no way be in conflict with traditional republican and conservative values, as opposition to the above is the recent aberration by the social right.

Got it now?

Correct.

There are enough weak (“Reagan”) democrats and independents who will vote for a given republican presidential candidate provided they don’t perceive such a candidate as extreme on the social issues.

That republican candidate needs to:

Respect a woman’s right to privacy and reproductive choice

Acknowledge the equal protection rights of same-sex couples to access marriage law

And acknowledge the due process rights of immigrants and seek immigration reform

By taking the above positions, a GOP presidential candidate will in no way be in conflict with traditional republican and conservative values, as opposition to the above is the recent aberration by the social right.
In other words, they should all jump on your liberal bandwagon and become Democrats. Thanks for the advice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem for those republicans who want their party back is they’re on the back of a tiger; the fear of being primaried is just too great.

However crazy or irresponsible a given republican incumbent might be, there’s someone back home even more crazy and more irresponsible ready to take the incumbent’s place.

Which only proves that they are more concerned with their own grip on power than the country's best interests.

Say, whatever happened to the scumbagger promise to serve a term then go home, because they aren't lifelong politicians, blah, blah, blah?

I don't know what will happen in 2016, but if the election was held today the GOP could nominate Palin and win in a landslide.

Oh dear god be serious.

He is serious.

This QW is an interesting character. He's educated......and he's got some depth of thought going on. But.....he has some glitch when it comes to grasping the way that politicians are perceived by others.

Who is the smartest person you know....personally or otherwise....who expresses a desire to have Sarah Palin lead this nation? In my case, it might be QW. Because I cannot think of another educated person who does.

The dude really thinks Palin is a viable choice....AND....he thinks that there are enough nutjobs out there to actually nominate her. It mystifies.
ODS clouds their thought process.

The thing is, the wingnuts can't turn on a dime. This is going to take at least another election cycle.

Democrats will be only too happy to highlight wingnut flip-flops that are only designed to get moderate votes.

Forum List

Back