What movies can you watch over and over and over...?

My stock insomnia movies:

Out of Africa
To Kill a Mockingbird
Stand By Me
Shawshank Redemption
Gardens of Stone
Excalibur
Lincoln
The Natural
Chariots of Fire

Not as often anymore:

It's a Wonderful Life
The Wizard of Oz
The Sound of Music
Dr. Zhivago

I used to really love Gone With the Wind, but as I matured I realized how racist and sexist and celebratory of a perverse culture it is, so I no longer watch it. In its place I could watch Gettysburg an infinite number of times.
Did you forget "Fever Pitch"?
:p
I saw that once; it was fun but not a classic. For other baseball movies worth watching over and over, I would add Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Eight Men Out, and Bang the Drum Slowly.
Major League is the best baseball movie ever

If anyone asks why anyone could like baseball, you only need to point them to the ā€œWild Thingā€ scene and the scoring from second on a bunt

You also left out The Natural, League of our own and Sandlot
Uh, no, The Natural is on my original list, which you even quoted. I love it so much, I own it.

It wasnā€™t a thread asking about baseball movies, it was about movies we could watch over and over - which in my mind encompasses many subject matters. I included two of the greatest movies ever made about sport, The Natural and Chariots of Fire.

I donā€™t agree that Major League is the best baseball movie ever, and my opinion is shared by the vast majority of film critics, too - it has an abysmal 5% ā€˜rottenā€™ rating at Rotten Tomatoes, for instance. (Sorry I erroneously cited the rating for the sequel, Major League II - the first movie has a very decent rating of 82%) I saw it once or twice, it was goofy fun but when *I* think of great movies, I think excellent story, acting, cinematography, music, directing - a whole package. We just have very different taste, apparently.
We are not talking about great movies. We are talking about movies you can watch over and over

Citizen Kane is a great movie......but I donā€™t care if I watch it ever again
Space Balls is stupid.......but if it is on while changing channels, I will stop and watch it
I guess you have reading comprehension difficulties, or you just skipped right over this: "when *I* think of great movies, I think excellent story, acting, cinematography, music, directing - a whole package. We just have very different taste, apparently."

Everyone is going to have a different standard for what constitutes a movie they could watch over and over again . . . YOURS is not the only right one. If you can't agree to that premise, you're just being a petulant child.

This is the TV forum.

That curtails other movies I could watch over and over. For example, My Cousin Vinny which Marissa Tomei won the Oscar for is one of the best uncut movies there is IMHO. Pesciā€™s cussing is turned down to about a 5 from Goodfellas but it seems much more comedic here. And I cannot say enough about Fred Gwynne as Judge Chamberlain Holler. Also three of my favorite character actors of all time Bruck McGill and Lane Smith and James Reborn (sp?) have good roles in it too. The director uses their talents well. On film and DVD? Fantastic. Edited on TBS? Not worth 5 minutes of your time except for the little strut at the end of the trial.

I suppose Armageddeon and Die Hard translate well on TV. I pretty much have to watch them until they finish when I see them on Television. They are eye candy and good background noise Casablanca,Heat and Crashā€¦.are movies I still pay attention to and watch.

Sleepers:

I have a great manyā€¦

The Family Stone
Unhook the Stars
Twilight of the Golds
Mystic River
Beatriz at Dinner
(I strongly recommend everyone see this movie).

and Ralph Macchioo, just before his star starting dimming.

(I still pull up Lane Smith checking out Marisa 'qualifications' on youtube once in a while)

"Iā€¦..Dentical!ā€

I get the feeling the director took the stereotypical southern lawyer a bit too far on that one but still a great blurb.
I thought they avoided being stereotypical with both the judge and the DA. While obviously southern, they were very competent

The guy in the bar with the roll of twenties and the desk clerk with the train were southern stereotypes

Good points; the menu, the entire store getting the flu, one of the eye witnessesā€¦

I had forgotten that Chris Ellis (another character actor who has been in everything) was in it.

I saw that once; it was fun but not a classic. For other baseball movies worth watching over and over, I would add Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Eight Men Out, and Bang the Drum Slowly.

If anyone asks why anyone could like baseball, you only need to point them to the ā€œWild Thingā€ scene and the scoring from second on a bunt

Uh, no, The Natural is on my original list, which you even quoted. I love it so much, I own it.

It wasnā€™t a thread asking about baseball movies, it was about movies we could watch over and over - which in my mind encompasses many subject matters. I included two of the greatest movies ever made about sport, The Natural and Chariots of Fire.

I donā€™t agree that Major League is the best baseball movie ever, and my opinion is shared by the vast majority of film critics, too - it has an abysmal 5% ā€˜rottenā€™ rating at Rotten Tomatoes, for instance. (Sorry I erroneously cited the rating for the sequel, Major League II - the first movie has a very decent rating of 82%) I saw it once or twice, it was goofy fun but when *I* think of great movies, I think excellent story, acting, cinematography, music, directing - a whole package. We just have very different taste, apparently.
We are not talking about great movies. We are talking about movies you can watch over and over

Space Balls is stupid.......but if it is on while changing channels, I will stop and watch it
I guess you have reading comprehension difficulties, or you just skipped right over this: "when *I* think of great movies, I think excellent story, acting, cinematography, music, directing - a whole package. We just have very different taste, apparently."

Everyone is going to have a different standard for what constitutes a movie they could watch over and over again . . . YOURS is not the only right one. If you can't agree to that premise, you're just being a petulant child.
:chillpill:

Jaws
Alien
Aliens
Star Wars original trilogy
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Shawshank Redemption
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Raiders of the Lost Ark

We're gearing up for the biennial Lord of the Rings marathon.

Dune
Aliens 2
Prometheus (I like Noomi Rapasce)
The Drop (ditto)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Avengers series
The Conjuring
The Exorcist
Blue is the Warmest Color
Akira
Justice League
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Breakfast Club
Inception
A Christmas Carol (George C Scott)
to name a few.

I forgot the Lord of the Rings trilogy
and The Big Chill
and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Great movies are not necessarily watchable movies and a watchable movie does not necessarily have great cinematic standards

A watchable movie is fun, scary, makes you cry, pushes your buttons, doesnā€™t get stale no matter how many times you watch it
It is like an old friend you have to visit any time it is in town

Great movies are not necessarily watchable movies and a watchable movie does not necessarily have great cinematic standards

A watchable movie is fun, scary, makes you cry, pushes your buttons, doesnā€™t get stale no matter how many times you watch it
It is like an old friend you have to visit any time it is in town

Some folks are taking this topic way too seriously right?

One of the things that contributes to a movie being watchable over and over (again this is in the TV forum) is how often it is on TV. Titanic is on nearly every weekend on some channel. A movie like Argo or Patriotā€™s Day or one of my favorites listed above is seen very rarely. I donā€™t know if these are box-office driven decisions made by network folks (didnā€™t make a big box office so it wonā€™t get good ratings mentality) or if the movies are just not legally available due to the production company holding them backā€¦ but I would love to see less Harry Potter and more variety.

For christmas movies I love Jim Careys Grinch.

The nerve of those Whos. Inviting me down there ā€“ on such short notice! Even if I wanted to go my schedule wouldnā€™t allow it. 4:00, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one; 5:30, jazzercize; 6:30, dinner with me ā€“ I canā€™t cancel that again; 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathingā€¦ Iā€™m booked. Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9, I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness. ā€¦ But what would I wear?!:laugh2:

For christmas movies I love Jim Careys Grinch.

The nerve of those Whos. Inviting me down there ā€“ on such short notice! Even if I wanted to go my schedule wouldnā€™t allow it. 4:00, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one; 5:30, jazzercize; 6:30, dinner with me ā€“ I canā€™t cancel that again; 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathingā€¦ Iā€™m booked. Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9, I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness. ā€¦ But what would I wear?!:laugh2:

Sorry to harsh the thread, but Jim Carey is No Boris Karloff. The original TV special is much better.

Oh yes.....Christmas movies

A Christmas Story.......You'll shoot your eye out
It's a Wonderful Life......Angel gets his wings
Mr Magoos Christmas Carol......the best ever
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation .....Clark's lights are a classic
Miracle on 34th Street.........young Natalie Wood

Last edited:

White Christmas is my favorite Christmas movie. The music is faboo.

Meet Me in St. Louis, while not technically a Christmas movie, has a great holiday sequence that's the emotional climax of the movie. And it's gorgeous!

Meet Me in St. Louis, while not technically a Christmas movie, has a great holiday sequence that's the emotional climax of the movie. And it's gorgeous!
Yea......Die Hard is technically a Christmas movie

It IS a Christmas Movie. mr. boe keeps telling me that.

It IS a Christmas Movie. mr. boe keeps telling me that.

I keep telling my wife that Die Hard is a love story

The guy runs through broken glass in his bare feet to save the woman he loves. Can't get more romantic than that

Forum List

Back