News Flash: A Trump Conviction Doesn’t Hang on Michael Cohen, but it hangs on Did the former president “cause” the creation of false business records

Not sure what world you are living in with these comments.
It's called the real world, untainted by your idiotic propaganda.

I'm libertarian, I have no use for your money laundering machines. (The ones you call "parties").

I have no great love for Republicans either. But you leftards are the worst by far. You're bad for children and other living things.

It's called the real world, untainted by your idiotic propaganda.

I'm libertarian, I have no use for your money laundering machines. (The ones you call "parties").

I have no great love for Republicans either. But you leftards are the worst by far. You're bad for children and other living things.
Ayn Rand is on line #3

Your endless reliance on a dishonest claim (as bait and trolling) isn’t just off topic, which you usually are, but a testament to your boring lack of originality, the dainty.

Now. Back on topic:

A Trump conviction absolutely legally rests on Cohen’s testimony. If the jury is fair and honest, they cannot ever find Cohen credible. He simply isn’t.

Indeed, if you were honest (a contrasting fact hypothetical), even you would have to concede that Cohen is completely lacking in any hint of credibility. Especially after the defense cross examination shredded whatever was left of the lying scumbag.

But, of course, you’re a joke here, the dainty.

The prosecution's case is not based on Cohen alone. Stop making shit up. Now do you want to make a bet -- or not? Could you be trusted. You go on about honesty, yet here @ usmb you have been proven by your own words to be totally dishonest. So stop the personal attacks on the honesty of other members, and try and post with playing your sleazy little ratfaced games.

Opinion
Guest Essay
Jeffrey Toobin

"A Trump Conviction Doesn’t Hang on Michael Cohen"

Toobin asks "Did the former president “cause” the creation of false business records?"

Trump supporters have been attacking Trump's former long time, personal lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen, just as they have attacked Stormy Daniels and other prosecution witnesses -- even attacking the witnesses who are not hostile to Trump, who even showed a like or respect for the man. But as I've said before -- the case against Trump doesn't rise or fall on the testimony of Cohen alone ("We don’t have to rely on just Cohen’s word. We can believe Cohen because of the receipts, the tapes and the hard evidence.”)

Trump supporters have been attacking people for discussing the historical trial happening in real time. Attacking people for discussing a criminal trial without precedent in the history of the United States, as somehow being an unhealthy obsession with Trump. As if being focused on a former president being tried in criminal court should somehow not be upper most in discussions around the proverbial water coolers. How desperate, pathetic, and sad that is I'll leave up to others to decide.

I like what Toobin has laid out in his article. While I do not claim him as being the last word on this, his insights and opinions are well informed and well argued.

If the jury is told the in instructions what the case is really about? There will be no not guilty verdict, no hung jury. Only a well reasoned guilty verdict.

quotes from reporters inside the courthouse today:

Emil Bove, a defense lawyer, is suggesting that the prosecutors, in their proposed jury instructions, has shifted their theory of the case. It sounds like he’s talking about the state election law that underlies the felony business records charges against Trump. Justice Merchan doesn’t seem to agree, but in any case, he says, the prosecution’s proposal for jury instructions holds no weight at the moment. It is only a proposal.

“Just relax,” Merchan tells the defense lawyer, as he continues to argue. Nothing, he signals, has been determined yet.

Bove continues to argue. He can tell that the judge is frustrated, but it’s clear that Bove is, too. If he believes that the prosecution changed its theory of the case in these final weeks, it would help to explain why he’s irate. Merchan seems to understand that, as Bove continues to push for more testimony from their proposed expert witness on election law.

Trump folds his arms over his chest as Bove finishes his argument. He then starts whispering to his lawyer as Matthew Colangelo, a prosecutor, begins to address the court.

Matthew Colangelo, a prosecutor, stands up and fights back. He says that “there’s nothing new at all” about the theory to which the defense is objecting. In short: the charges against Trump are felonies because prosecutors have argued that he falsified business records to conceal another crime. They have signaled that other crime was seeking to promote his own election "by unlawful means," in violation of state election law. That introduces a third potential crime.

So, if you’re keeping score, that’s three potential crimes, all wrapped into each of the 34 felony charges of falsifying business records

Interesting day.
This shows just how weak the case really is.

The jury hasn't heard what the underlying crime is. Hell, no one has...lol
It's been listed here and elsewhere.

denial is desperation on steroids

Again, ignore all you want.
quote:

Matthew Colangelo, a prosecutor, stands up and fights back. He says that “there’s nothing new at all” about the theory to which the defense is objecting. In short: the charges against Trump are felonies because prosecutors have argued that he falsified business records to conceal another crime. They have signaled that other crime was seeking to promote his own election "by unlawful means," in violation of state election law. That introduces a third potential crime.

Your endless reliance on a dishonest claim (as bait and trolling) isn’t just off topic, which you usually are, but a testament to your boring lack of originality, the dainty.

Now. Back on topic:

A Trump conviction absolutely legally rests on Cohen’s testimony. If the jury is fair and honest, they cannot ever find Cohen credible. He simply isn’t.

Indeed, if you were honest (a contrasting fact hypothetical), even you would have to concede that Cohen is completely lacking in any hint of credibility. Especially after the defense cross examination shredded whatever was left of the lying scumbag.

But, of course, you’re a joke here, the dainty.
Take out Cohen's name in your screed & insert Trump's, then you'll be getting somewhere.

Did you notice how Trump, the gutless coward that he is, is not taking the stand like he ranted he would?

As I've pointed out before: "We don’t have to rely on just Cohen’s word. We can believe Cohen because of the receipts, the tapes and the hard evidence.”

Here is an interesting exchange you might want to ignore: It's about who is actually on trial:

With Susan Hoffinger asking questions, Michael Cohen is again leaning into the notion that he is a victim in all of this.

“Are you actually on trial here in this case?” Hoffinger asks Cohen. “No,” he says. Through her questions, Hoffinger makes an obvious point — that the defense sought to make Cohen look like a criminal. But ultimately, the jurors aren’t here to judge Cohen’s criminality. They are here to judge Trump
The only crime Cohen testified to was the one he committed by stealing money from Trump Inc.

Ok, what is it?

But what is the other crime? Here is where the case gets shaky. In court filings, the prosecution has argued that Trump was attempting to commit or conceal federal and state election law crimes, along with state tax crimes. The election law theory has real weaknesses, however. While I’ve long believed the hush-money scheme violated federal criminal law, I also recognize that the underlying legal theory has not been fully tested.

Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer and fixer, pleaded guilty to federal crimes in connection with this same scheme, but a guilty plea doesn’t have the same value as a court precedent. There isn’t clear federal precedent on the matter, and no federal charges have been brought against Trump on these grounds, by the Department of Justice under either Trump or President Biden. In addition, the state election law that the prosecution cites may well be pre-empted by federal law and therefore be inapplicable to the case.

People here at usmb and elsewhere have been arguing over and over again "what other crime?" -- yet when the other crime is mentioned they've ignored it completely. But in the courtroom the facts can't so easily be ignored. The jury is being reminded by the prosecution team over and over again, that records were doctored to further or conceal another crime - , an effort to illegally influence the 2016 election.

Alan Feuer
Reporting on Trump’s criminal trial

Just a reminder about the structure of the charges in this case: Trump has been indicted on 34 counts of falsifying business records related to reimbursing Cohen for the hush-money payment to Stormy Daniels. Those misdemeanor charges can be bumped up to felonies...

if the jury believes the records were doctored to further or conceal another crime

in this instance, an effort to illegally influence the 2016 election.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/05/13/nyregion/trump-trial-michael-cohen

People here at usmb and elsewhere have been arguing over and over again "what other crime?" -- yet when the other crime is mentioned they've ignored it completely. But in the courtroom the facts can't so easily be ignored. The jury is being reminded by the prosecution team over and over again, that records were doctored to further or conceal another crime - , an effort to illegally influence the 2016 election.

Alan Feuer
Reporting on Trump’s criminal trial

Just a reminder about the structure of the charges in this case: Trump has been indicted on 34 counts of falsifying business records related to reimbursing Cohen for the hush-money payment to Stormy Daniels. Those misdemeanor charges can be bumped up to felonies...

if the jury believes the records were doctored to further or conceal another crime

in this instance, an effort to illegally influence the 2016 election.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/05/13/nyregion/trump-trial-michael-cohen
Influencing an election isn't illegal. It's literally what campaigns do...lol

See? Told you no one has heard what the underlying crime is.

Influencing an election isn't illegal. It's literally what campaigns do...lol

See? Told you no one has heard what the underlying crime is.

The charge isn't influencing an election. No one, except trolls like you are saying influencing an election is illegal.

straw man alert!

A snippet of why the dainty loves Merchan.

The prosecution's case is not based on Cohen alone.

Yes. It is. If one were to remove Cohen’s testiphony, there would be no case left.

And you know it.
Stop making shit up.

I’m not. That’s you. Heavy projection from the dainty.
Now do you want to make a bet -- or not?
Bait shit ^ from troll boi rejected yet again.
Could you be trusted.

Off topic, troll scum.
You go on about honesty, yet here @ usmb you have been proven by your own words to be totally dishonest.
Another lie, already long since refuted, troll shit.
So stop the personal attacks on the honesty of other members,
I’ll take your stage directions under advisement, troll bitch. Ok. Done. Application rejected.
and try and post with playing your sleazy little ratfaced games.
Again. Projection. ^ You have the image of a corrupted judge as your avie at present. Why? Because you want a specific outcome. And you’re hostile to even the notion of fairness or justice.

The dainty, you stand exposed as the lying twat you are.

Meanwhile, feel free to point to one scintilla of “evidence” (such as it is in this persecution) outside of Cohen’s relentless perjury which substantiates any element of the Persecution’s so-called “case.”

A snippet of why the dainty loves Merchan.

at the end of the day
:

Todd Blanche is throwing a lot at the wall during this motion to dismiss the case. It sounds a bit like his opening, as he seeks to convince the judge — as he sought to convince the jury — that there is no crime here. Justice Merchan is listening, leaning back.

Blanche just said that there was no evidence of a conspiracy having been formed in October 2015, misstating the month in which prosecutors say Trump, Michael Cohen and David Pecker, the former publisher of The National Enquirer, agreed that Pecker would suppress negative stories on Trump’s behalf. It was August.

Matthew Colangelo, the prosecutor, is calm as he responds to Todd Blanche. His arguments are a little more legalistic than Blanche’s: He points to New York law on the issues of falsifying business records and intent to defraud, and says that the grand jury record shows evidence of a “general intent to deceive.” Referring to the “overwhelming record of concealment,” Colangelo drives home that prosecutors have made a good showing on intent. The court reporter asks him to slow down and he apologizes, before moving forward.

Again. Projection. ^ You have the image of a corrupted judge as your avie at present. Why? Because you want a specific outcome. And you’re hostile to even the notion of fairness or justice.
Of course like most people I'd like a specific outcome, but unlike most I do not demand it.

See? You're so full of projection and shit you can't hear, see, or speak clearly.

I've gone on record saying it was enough for me to see Mr. Trump brought before justice. Any specific outcome matters less to me.

Forum List

Back