Record number of pay-TV watchers cut the cord

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
1541627872840.png

I would drop my Cox in a second if there was an alternative. As I’m retired and disabled, watching TV and surfing the internet are my only two time-filling things. One thing about this; maybe the cable/dish companies will be forced to lower prices to keep customers.

By the numbers: More than 80% of pay-TV subscribers in the U.S. come from four cable and satellite providers: AT&T, Comcast, Charter and Dish. Those companies together lost 887,000 subscribers this quarter, mostly driven by big losses at Dish and AT&T.

Dish lost 367,000 customers, its highest quarterly loss ever, after cutting access to Univision amid a months-long carriage-fee dispute that is still unresolved.

AT&T lost 359,000 subscribers for the quarter, far surpassing analyst estimates of 245,000 subscribers lost.

More @ On life support: Record number of pay-TV watchers cut the cord

I just bought a big screen 4k tv and one of those 4k blue-ray players for me and the better half to watch with a bunch of apps on it for watching movies and tv. That's really all I need.

I am having this internal debate. My comcast contract is up next month. It is clear they are trying to force me into a new one since they have started putting things on my bill like "You saved $37.50" . If my rates go up $37.50 next bill I am probably going to drop cable and phone and keep internet, but I need to figure out what is the best deal as far as streaming services. The problem is I mostly watch PBS 1-off channels so I really will be losing them either way I go except stay on cable. Others in my house watch a lot of AMC etc. Might do Hulu. Not sure.

I hear people at work complain all the time about their $300+ a month cable/internet package. Drop the cable. Who needs cable in 2018?

I dropped my Chater (now Spectrum) cable a couple years ago. I got myself a laptop and now I watch everything online. I love watching movies and tv series on various streaming sites. I use Hulu. I can't stand Netflix. That's just me.

I believe, when more people cut the chord...cable will eventually make it more online than ever. Meaning, they will probably make it efficient that you can watch all your favorites online, instead of on tv with box.

I am having this internal debate. My comcast contract is up next month. It is clear they are trying to force me into a new one since they have started putting things on my bill like "You saved $37.50" . If my rates go up $37.50 next bill I am probably going to drop cable and phone and keep internet, but I need to figure out what is the best deal as far as streaming services. The problem is I mostly watch PBS 1-off channels so I really will be losing them either way I go except stay on cable. Others in my house watch a lot of AMC etc. Might do Hulu. Not sure.

There's really no perfect solution. They'll try to get you to upgrade to another promotion that will expire in 6-12 months, or you can drop everything but internet, and you'll be paying more for internet than you really want to. Either way, short of switching companies, Comcast gets your money.

There's really no perfect solution. They'll try to get you to upgrade to another promotion that will expire in 6-12 months, or you can drop everything but internet, and you'll be paying more for internet than you really want to. Either way, short of switching companies, Comcast gets your money.

Unfortunately cable is still the best internet option for me. We have others but not as reliable. I wish they would hurry the hell up and bring fiber into my area of town. It is there. It just isn't in my hood yet.

Forum List

Back