What is an athiest's problem with those who have faith?

Crimson, though I don't call myself an atheist, I probably qualify. But I will say that all belief systems have their militant branch, and I believe it's the militant atheists you're asking about here. Like all militant branches of belief systems, they are a small minority that only seems large because they are so screechy and loud.

Most atheists respect others' beliefs and their choices of their belief. And will generally leave those of faith, alone.

I am an agnostic. I used to challenge Christians to prove their Christian belief. I think that I did this because, “deep down”, I wanted to believe in life after death. I would challenge them on seemingly contradictory or absurd Bible quotations. I would challenge them on their behavior as being contradictory to Biblical teaching. I would tell them about despicable preachers and ask them how anyone who believed so strongly in salvation would commit such evil acts. (Look up stories about Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and Ted Haggerty).

Sometimes, I would see if I could get Christians to reexamine their faith in the face of modern science, Biblical contradictions, and the like.

Finally, be careful when generalizing. You would not deny that there are also meddlesome and pesky Christians who will continue to badger people – thinking that it is their duty to convert the unbeliever at practically any cost – even when they are politely asked by the unbeliever to leave him alone.

I am an agnostic. I used to challenge Christians to prove their Christian belief. I think that I did this because, “deep down”, I wanted to believe in life after death. I would challenge them on seemingly contradictory or absurd Bible quotations. I would challenge them on their behavior as being contradictory to Biblical teaching. I would tell them about despicable preachers and ask them how anyone who believed so strongly in salvation would commit such evil acts. (Look up stories about Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and Ted Haggerty).

Sometimes, I would see if I could get Christians to reexamine their faith in the face of modern science, Biblical contradictions, and the like.

Finally, be careful when generalizing. You would not deny that there are also meddlesome and pesky Christians who will continue to badger people – thinking that it is their duty to convert the unbeliever at practically any cost – even when they are politely asked by the unbeliever to leave him alone.

So what made you stop questioning the faith of people?

I got into a discussion with a colleague the other day that really has me thinking. I am by no means the perfect model of a follower of Christ. However, my Catholic faith is strong. My colleague saw my confirmation rosary the other day and being the self avowed athiest that he is felt the need to ask me to defend my faith. This exchange got me thinking. What the hell do they care? I for one do not that he has no faith, why would he feel the need to question mine?

That is my question. Why do athiests feel the need to have faith explained to them. Why can they not simply accept that some people believe what they believe on faith alone? Why do they feel the need to ridicule those that have faith and constantly hound those that harbor a faith in God for a defense of something that cannot be defined, but by faith alone?
not saying the guy was wrong but why is it that people with faith always want to shove their faith down our throat?
Non believers are the most silent minority in this country.

So what made you stop questioning the faith of people?

I'm tired.

I’ve been there and done that plenty of times. Some people will not change their beliefs no matter how much evidence is presented to them. I’ve given up trying to get other people to re-evaluate their views.

As for me, I think that I have examined and re-examined every apologetic theory, philosophical point and fallacy, logical argument, and counter-argument many times. I like to think that I still have an opened mind. I have read the Bible from the first page to the last page many times and even analyzed each sentence against other sentences. I’ve talked with preachers and atheists. I’ve read books that try to argue that the story of Jesus is true. I’ve read books that try to argue that the story of Jesus is false. I would have to be presented with something surprisingly new for me to reconsider my position. I’m not willing to say that I am an atheist. I can’t say with all certainty that the story of Jesus is false – much more – that God does not exist. Still, I can’t say with all confidence that God does exist. Some questions just don’t have answers yet – at lest not for me.

I got into a discussion with a colleague the other day that really has me thinking. I am by no means the perfect model of a follower of Christ. However, my Catholic faith is strong. My colleague saw my confirmation rosary the other day and being the self avowed athiest that he is felt the need to ask me to defend my faith. This exchange got me thinking. What the hell do they care? I for one do not that he has no faith, why would he feel the need to question mine?

That is my question. Why do athiests feel the need to have faith explained to them. Why can they not simply accept that some people believe what they believe on faith alone? Why do they feel the need to ridicule those that have faith and constantly hound those that harbor a faith in God for a defense of something that cannot be defined, but by faith alone?
not saying the guy was wrong but why is it that people with faith always want to shove their faith down our throat?

If you want to pose that question, feel free to do so elsewhere. However it really isn't pertinent to the question that I posed. The answer to your question would be an excuse, but since the majority of christian really do not shove there faith down peoples throat, I really don't see relevance of your question here. Yes, alot of Christians wear their faith on their sleeves and I compare them to those that have to constantly question the faith of those that believe. The root of my quandry is the source of this type of behavior. What does this type of behavior do to further society?

What does this type of behavior do to further society?
If people open their minds and begin actually thinking, and we nurture a culture that values analytical thought, logic, and discovery instead of the ignorance and close-mindedness that is at the core of religious thought, America can become a world leader in technology, political theory, and the sciences again. The nations that have prospered and further Mankind's development in the past were those that shunned archaic ways of thinking and didn't accept the easy cop-out that 'the gods did it.' Those who have furthered Mankind's sciences and even civil rights were those who saw the contradictions and spoke out who saw the stagnation of intellect and challenged themselves and others to find real answers regarding the workings of the world, and who dared to ask 'why' and 'how' and demand an answer.

Now you tell me, what does the closed mindedness of the4 vast majority of theists, the line of thought and social environment that values ignorance and embraces giving up on knowing- what does that do to further society? You cannot cite anything religion has done to further society aside from provide an oft brutal social hierarchy and a means for the elites to control, dominate, and manipulate the masses. Even those theists who furthered scientists did so because they challenged the culture of ignorance and dared venture into areas reserved for the gods, to demand answers regarding the nature of the world around them, to reject that ignorant and arrogant three-word answer and follow reason, intellect, and the sciences so that they might know.

Last edited:

What can I say, Crimson? There are obnoxious and in your face atheists just as there are obnoxious and in your face Catholics.

bullshit.
i'm a religious person and i've never shoved my beliefs on anyone, nor have i had anyone else's beliefs shoved down my throat. i've had j witnesses come by and told them thanks but no thanks and they've moved on.

try again

Likely for the same reason that some Christians feel the need to hound everyone that doesn't hold the same belief they do...

There's nutcases on both sides.

That Christian is more of a myth than anything else. Yes Jehovah's will hit your house on a regular basis...but so do encyclopedia and vacuum cleaner salesmen.

By and large, the more offensive are the non-believers who think they are within their "rights" and who think they OWE it to humanity to de-value Christians...and who meanwhile are honestly just trying to find an argument convincing enough to save them.

I commented on this before, and just mentioned it elsewhere again today. Having encountered numerous complaints from the religious about secularists disrespecting that tradition, and allegations that they simply ought to "mind their own business" if they are non-religious, it seems critical to note that I don't believe most secular individuals have an interest in interfering with the personal beliefs of the religious if they merely remained personal beliefs, just as most secular individuals don't have an interest in interfering with the beliefs of those who embrace astrology or other superstition not based on reason. It's because the beliefs of the religious exert an undue influence over mainstream society (we might still have a World Trade Center if not for religion) that objections are raised. As noted:

64a318b7.jpg

I've not encountered anyone who has an interest in attacking religious belief simply because they consider it irrational or baseless; many beliefs retain such elements. It's because religious belief has traditionally primarily adopted the role of the basis of an openly hierarchical institution (the Roman Catholic inquisition, excessively theocratic Islamic states today, etc.), or the basis of other negative influences that have the effect of causing intrusions into non-religious elements of life, as noted by the cartoon, that there is opposition.

You are either blind or have never read JB's posts. Since I know your not blind and I know you have read his posts I must assume your either ignorant or lying. You pick.

By and large, the more offensive are the non-believers who think they are within their "rights" and who think they OWE it to humanity to de-value Christians...and who meanwhile are honestly just trying to find an argument convincing enough to save them.

"you're going to hell!" not working so well for you?

I only tell people who ask me where I think they'll go if they don't believe.

If you don't want to know what I think, don't ask me.

Yea, verily.

That Christian is more of a myth than anything else. Yes Jehovah's will hit your house on a regular basis...but so do encyclopedia and vacuum cleaner salesmen.

No. The troublesome Christian pest is not a myth. I have had talkative Christian classmates and neighbors “chomping at the bit” to talk about Christianity to me. I have had several visits from Jehovah’s Witnesses. I’ve even had one or two people come up to me when I was in a video arcade and start talking to me about Jesus. Perhaps I live in the buckle of the Bible belt. Anyway, I think that I have had my share of unsolicited visits from those wanting me to believe as they do. Could it be that their faith is so weak that they need to get other people to believe as they do?

"Talking" to you about Christianity is no more out there than talking to you about the weather or the price of sugar or anything else.

If you want to control the topics people broach with you, perhaps you should wear a sign around your neck saying so.

LMFAO!!! You're kidding, right? In my lifetime, I've had no less than 3 dozen JW's ring my doorbell. Never ONCE in almost 40 years have I ever had a vacuum cleaner, or encyclopedia salesman ring my doorbell.

Tell my mom what your secret is. The JHs are scared to death of her, but she's the only person in the world who still gets taken by traveling salesmen.

Forum List

Back