What is an athiest's problem with those who have faith?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by CrimsonWhite, Jun 29, 2009.

1. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    I got into a discussion with a colleague the other day that really has me thinking. I am by no means the perfect model of a follower of Christ. However, my Catholic faith is strong. My colleague saw my confirmation rosary the other day and being the self avowed athiest that he is felt the need to ask me to defend my faith. This exchange got me thinking. What the hell do they care? I for one do not that he has no faith, why would he feel the need to question mine?

That is my question. Why do athiests feel the need to have faith explained to them. Why can they not simply accept that some people believe what they believe on faith alone? Why do they feel the need to ridicule those that have faith and constantly hound those that harbor a faith in God for a defense of something that cannot be defined, but by faith alone?

2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

Not to mention religion being detrimental to human advancement

Hell, we went from the wright bros. to the moon lin less than 100 years. Why? Because we turned our backs on ancient caveman religions and embraced science and reason more fully

3. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    A lot of it is a hang up from the time when many of the christian persuasion wold ask continually why others don't "believe" ... not justifying the pushiness but I see it even today, people see my pentacle and ask why I don't "love god" ...

4. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I commented on this before, and just mentioned it elsewhere again today. Having encountered numerous complaints from the religious about secularists disrespecting that tradition, and allegations that they simply ought to "mind their own business" if they are non-religious, it seems critical to note that I don't believe most secular individuals have an interest in interfering with the personal beliefs of the religious if they merely remained personal beliefs, just as most secular individuals don't have an interest in interfering with the beliefs of those who embrace astrology or other superstition not based on reason. It's because the beliefs of the religious exert an undue influence over mainstream society (we might still have a World Trade Center if not for religion) that objections are raised. As noted:

[​IMG]

I've not encountered anyone who has an interest in attacking religious belief simply because they consider it irrational or baseless; many beliefs retain such elements. It's because religious belief has traditionally primarily adopted the role of the basis of an openly hierarchical institution (the Roman Catholic inquisition, excessively theocratic Islamic states today, etc.), or the basis of other negative influences that have the effect of causing intrusions into non-religious elements of life, as noted by the cartoon, that there is opposition.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    KK, out of curiosity, that pentacle... how is it positioned, how do you cross or overlap the branches, and is it accompanied by an other signs?

6. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Astrology is harmless entertainment and superstition, much like breaking mirros, black cats, and throwing salt over your shoulder. Astologers and Buddhists don't push their superstitions into law.

7. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I will not answer this one ... though not for the "standard" reasons. Quite simply, I don't tell people my full belief system, period. I offer hints and clues when appropriate, but that is all.

8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Meh. Fair 'nuff, but be aware that I might start rumors that you're a baby-eating witch just for entertainment :p

9. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    Quickest way to get the Christians to leave you alone about that? Tell 'em that the pentacle is actually a Biblical sign, which is the Shield of Solomon. By the way, only 1 point is up on that one.

The one with 2 points up? That is the Satanists bastardizing that symbol, as they turn it upside down and now it becomes a devil.

Nazis did the same thing with the swastika. It used to be a Tibetan good luck symbol until darling Adolf got his hands on it, balanced it on 1 corner and started using it.

The Tibetan good luck symbol? Swastika sitting on 1 flat side.

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    That rumor has already come and gone ... FYI :eusa_whistle: