What is an athiest's problem with those who have faith?

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I got into a discussion with a colleague the other day that really has me thinking. I am by no means the perfect model of a follower of Christ. However, my Catholic faith is strong. My colleague saw my confirmation rosary the other day and being the self avowed athiest that he is felt the need to ask me to defend my faith. This exchange got me thinking. What the hell do they care? I for one do not that he has no faith, why would he feel the need to question mine?

That is my question. Why do athiests feel the need to have faith explained to them. Why can they not simply accept that some people believe what they believe on faith alone? Why do they feel the need to ridicule those that have faith and constantly hound those that harbor a faith in God for a defense of something that cannot be defined, but by faith alone?

[youtube]w4fQA9mt-Mg[/youtube]

If Brian wasn't eloquent enough for you, perhaps you'll be more receptive to Laci

[youtube]h1ImMtHrrKo[/youtube]

Not to mention religion being detrimental to human advancement

Hell, we went from the wright bros. to the moon lin less than 100 years. Why? Because we turned our backs on ancient caveman religions and embraced science and reason more fully

A lot of it is a hang up from the time when many of the christian persuasion wold ask continually why others don't "believe" ... not justifying the pushiness but I see it even today, people see my pentacle and ask why I don't "love god" ...

I commented on this before, and just mentioned it elsewhere again today. Having encountered numerous complaints from the religious about secularists disrespecting that tradition, and allegations that they simply ought to "mind their own business" if they are non-religious, it seems critical to note that I don't believe most secular individuals have an interest in interfering with the personal beliefs of the religious if they merely remained personal beliefs, just as most secular individuals don't have an interest in interfering with the beliefs of those who embrace astrology or other superstition not based on reason. It's because the beliefs of the religious exert an undue influence over mainstream society (we might still have a World Trade Center if not for religion) that objections are raised. As noted:

64a318b7.jpg

I've not encountered anyone who has an interest in attacking religious belief simply because they consider it irrational or baseless; many beliefs retain such elements. It's because religious belief has traditionally primarily adopted the role of the basis of an openly hierarchical institution (the Roman Catholic inquisition, excessively theocratic Islamic states today, etc.), or the basis of other negative influences that have the effect of causing intrusions into non-religious elements of life, as noted by the cartoon, that there is opposition.

Astrology is harmless entertainment and superstition, much like breaking mirros, black cats, and throwing salt over your shoulder. Astologers and Buddhists don't push their superstitions into law.

KK, out of curiosity, that pentacle... how is it positioned, how do you cross or overlap the branches, and is it accompanied by an other signs?

I will not answer this one ... though not for the "standard" reasons. Quite simply, I don't tell people my full belief system, period. I offer hints and clues when appropriate, but that is all.

A lot of it is a hang up from the time when many of the christian persuasion wold ask continually why others don't "believe" ... not justifying the pushiness but I see it even today, people see my pentacle and ask why I don't "love god" ...

Quickest way to get the Christians to leave you alone about that? Tell 'em that the pentacle is actually a Biblical sign, which is the Shield of Solomon. By the way, only 1 point is up on that one.

The one with 2 points up? That is the Satanists bastardizing that symbol, as they turn it upside down and now it becomes a devil.

Nazis did the same thing with the swastika. It used to be a Tibetan good luck symbol until darling Adolf got his hands on it, balanced it on 1 corner and started using it.

The Tibetan good luck symbol? Swastika sitting on 1 flat side.

Quickest way to get the Christians to leave you alone about that? Tell 'em that the pentacle is actually a Biblical sign, which is the Shield of Solomon. By the way, only 1 point is up on that one.

The one with 2 points up? That is the Satanists bastardizing that symbol, as they turn it upside down and now it becomes a devil.

Nazis did the same thing with the swastika. It used to be a Tibetan good luck symbol until darling Adolf got his hands on it, balanced it on 1 corner and started using it.

The Tibetan good luck symbol? Swastika sitting on 1 flat side.

Actually, the pentacle is older than their religion, the cross is to. The cross represents death, disease, and evil in reality.

It seems to me that your problems are with organiized religion, not with faith. God has been used by men since the beginning of time as a means to perpetrate crimes against humanity. My own Holy Church has been one of the leadiing entities. I will concede that. I understand the mistrust of organized religion.

My question is one of faith. Why must a person's faith be questioned? Why is there a constant need to prove the existence of a God that shows his existence everyday? It simply requires faith to see this existence. So, if you are incapable of faith, why the hell do you care?

Hey Kitten, if the swastika and the pentacle were good symbols that were changed to reflect evil, why can't the cross which represented evil be used for good?

Works both ways dear.

It seems to me that your problems are with organiized religion, not with faith. God has been used by men since the beginning of time as a means to perpetrate crimes against humanity. My own Holy Church has been one of the leadiing entities. I will concede that. I understand the mistrust of organized religion.

My question is one of faith. Why must a person's faith be questioned? Why is there a constant need to prove the existence of a God that shows his existence everyday? It simply requires faith to see this existence. So, if you are incapable of faith, why the hell do you care?

Tell ya what Crimson, go read JButtSniffer's responses on the thread about God.

Then ask him the same question that you just asked here.

Tell ya what Crimson, go read JButtSniffer's responses on the thread about God.

Then ask him the same question that you just asked here.

I have read them, they don't answer the questions I have put forth here. He can respond here.

Hey Kitten, if the swastika and the pentacle were good symbols that were changed to reflect evil, why can't the cross which represented evil be used for good?

Works both ways dear.

1. There are two versions of the swastika, one which represents good, the other evil, the Nazis used the one for evil that oddly represents evil, thinking it would be "against the pagan beliefs" since they thought they were doing good. The rest of us still saw it as evil.

2. Same thing for the pentacle. In magicks for many religions that base their beliefs on the symbol the two versions ("pointing" up or down) represent two completely different things, one is banishment the other creation. The change you refer to was actually in the reverse, where many christian churches decided they were all evil.

As I said, these symbols are older than the christian religion, they have been around since the dawn of humanity almost. You are welcome to see them as meaning whatever you want, but their true meanings to those of us with older and more ancient studies know their original meanings and live by them.

I commented on this before, and just mentioned it elsewhere again today. Having encountered numerous complaints from the religious about secularists disrespecting that tradition, and allegations that they simply ought to "mind their own business" if they are non-religious, it seems critical to note that I don't believe most secular individuals have an interest in interfering with the personal beliefs of the religious if they merely remained personal beliefs, just as most secular individuals don't have an interest in interfering with the beliefs of those who embrace astrology or other superstition not based on reason. It's because the beliefs of the religious exert an undue influence over mainstream society (we might still have a World Trade Center if not for religion) that objections are raised. As noted:

64a318b7.jpg

I've not encountered anyone who has an interest in attacking religious belief simply because they consider it irrational or baseless; many beliefs retain such elements. It's because religious belief has traditionally primarily adopted the role of the basis of an openly hierarchical institution (the Roman Catholic inquisition, excessively theocratic Islamic states today, etc.), or the basis of other negative influences that have the effect of causing intrusions into non-religious elements of life, as noted by the cartoon, that there is opposition.

Yeah, asshole. That explains why you beat cheeks to rush to every single thread started by those who believe and want to discuss their faith, in order to ridicule, bash, and attempt to humiliate them.

Works both ways dear.

1. There are two versions of the swastika, one which represents good, the other evil, the Nazis used the one for evil that oddly represents evil, thinking it would be "against the pagan beliefs" since they thought they were doing good. The rest of us still saw it as evil.

2. Same thing for the pentacle. In magicks for many religions that base their beliefs on the symbol the two versions ("pointing" up or down) represent two completely different things, one is banishment the other creation. The change you refer to was actually in the reverse, where many christian churches decided they were all evil.

As I said, these symbols are older than the christian religion, they have been around since the dawn of humanity almost. You are welcome to see them as meaning whatever you want, but their true meanings to those of us with older and more ancient studies know their original meanings and live by them.

The swastika's older that your pagans. It's one of the most ancient of ancient American symbols.

Works both ways dear.

The swastika's older that your pagans. It's one of the most ancient of ancient American symbols.

I never said it wasn't ... ;)

Forum List

Back