What is an athiest's problem with those who have faith?

I got into a discussion with a colleague the other day that really has me thinking. I am by no means the perfect model of a follower of Christ. However, my Catholic faith is strong. My colleague saw my confirmation rosary the other day and being the self avowed athiest that he is felt the need to ask me to defend my faith. This exchange got me thinking. What the hell do they care? I for one do not that he has no faith, why would he feel the need to question mine?

That is my question. Why do athiests feel the need to have faith explained to them. Why can they not simply accept that some people believe what they believe on faith alone? Why do they feel the need to ridicule those that have faith and constantly hound those that harbor a faith in God for a defense of something that cannot be defined, but by faith alone?
not saying the guy was wrong but why is it that people with faith always want to shove their faith down our throat?
Non believers are the most silent minority in this country.

If you want to pose that question, feel free to do so elsewhere. However it really isn't pertinent to the question that I posed. The answer to your question would be an excuse, but since the majority of christian really do not shove there faith down peoples throat, I really don't see relevance of your question here. Yes, alot of Christians wear their faith on their sleeves and I compare them to those that have to constantly question the faith of those that believe. The root of my quandry is the source of this type of behavior. What does this type of behavior do to further society?
not saying people should question people's beliefs all the time but if we didn't question anything or just got along all the time we would be sheep and life would be boring.
I think a lot of us just question why you "faith" in certain things.

I am an agnostic. I used to challenge Christians to prove their Christian belief. I think that I did this because, “deep down”, I wanted to believe in life after death. I would challenge them on seemingly contradictory or absurd Bible quotations. I would challenge them on their behavior as being contradictory to Biblical teaching. I would tell them about despicable preachers and ask them how anyone who believed so strongly in salvation would commit such evil acts. (Look up stories about Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and Ted Haggerty).

Sometimes, I would see if I could get Christians to reexamine their faith in the face of modern science, Biblical contradictions, and the like.

Finally, be careful when generalizing. You would not deny that there are also meddlesome and pesky Christians who will continue to badger people – thinking that it is their duty to convert the unbeliever at practically any cost – even when they are politely asked by the unbeliever to leave him alone.

That Christian is more of a myth than anything else. Yes Jehovah's will hit your house on a regular basis...but so do encyclopedia and vacuum cleaner salesmen.

By and large, the more offensive are the non-believers who think they are within their "rights" and who think they OWE it to humanity to de-value Christians...and who meanwhile are honestly just trying to find an argument convincing enough to save them.
How many atheist groups do you see attacking certain groups for their life style or choices?
Plus the fact we represent a much smaller part of the population there is real no way we would have a larger number of offensive people. Christians control this country and someone is not a christian is going to be the outsider along with being questioned about their beliefs more often than christian will be. So stop acting like you are the wounded party.

Atheists are just trying to help a brother out to shed your delusions about invisible people and non-existant miracles... I find it sad that people waste their life believing in shit that doesn't exist so that when they die, they'll be rewarded. That's the biggest pile of dung and the most successful mind control scheme in the history of man. Now we fight over whose mind control is better than whose with jihad, crusades and the like.
Religion is the biggest problem facing mankind today, way more so than global warming.

LMFAO!!! You're kidding, right? In my lifetime, I've had no less than 3 dozen JW's ring my doorbell. Never ONCE in almost 40 years have I ever had a vacuum cleaner, or encyclopedia salesman ring my doorbell.
Similar experiences here. I've never been hounded or at the very least approached by an Atheist, Agnostic or a Muslim concerning the subject of my possible conversion to their set of beliefs. I've had innumerable unwanted encounters with Moonies, Mormons, Jews for Jesus, Hari Krishnas, various Christian sects and other fruitcakes of undetermined religious affiliations.

No vacuum or encyclopedia salespeple but maybe about 4 or 5 magazine supscription sellers and tons of political campaigners.

not saying the guy was wrong but why is it that people with faith always want to shove their faith down our throat?
Non believers are the most silent minority in this country.

If you want to pose that question, feel free to do so elsewhere. However it really isn't pertinent to the question that I posed. The answer to your question would be an excuse, but since the majority of christian really do not shove there faith down peoples throat, I really don't see relevance of your question here. Yes, alot of Christians wear their faith on their sleeves and I compare them to those that have to constantly question the faith of those that believe. The root of my quandry is the source of this type of behavior. What does this type of behavior do to further society?
not saying people should question people's beliefs all the time but if we didn't question anything or just got along all the time we would be sheep and life would be boring.

And there's nothing wrong with questioning.

What's really, incredibly hypocritical and maddening is when you ask and then accuse the people who answer of trying to shove their beliefs down your throat.

And there's nothing wrong with questioning.

What's really, incredibly hypocritical and maddening is when you ask and then accuse the people who answer of trying to shove their beliefs down your throat.
I would have to agree with you but I hope that is not what you think I was doing.
This subject is alittle hard for me right now because I have told some of my family members I have non believer now and they feel the need to question me. I have not told many people in my family for this reason. I also tried to talk to a pastor about this when I was thinking about getting my son baptized and he pretty much blew me off.
And yes I am still thinking about getting my son baptized just as how I was and than I will let him make up his own mind but I do want him to go to church as a child because it does teach morals.

So Luissa, you can't tach your son morals or you don't want to? You should teach him about how the church discriminates against women, gays... and how a lot of priests are pedophiles... and how the catholic church is the richest business in the world...

Astrology is harmless entertainment and superstition, much like breaking mirros, black cats, and throwing salt over your shoulder. Astologers and Buddhists don't push their superstitions into law.

Then I might ask why certain countries are entirely Buddist, and they persecute Christians???????? Not pushing religion, huh?????????????

So Luissa, you can't tach your son morals or you don't want to? You should teach him about how the church discriminates against women, gays... and how a lot of priests are pedophiles... and how the catholic church is the richest business in the world...

I hate to break it to you, but I do believe every religion has "sinners," namely, folks who do exactly what they preah against...........................

Not just Catholics....................

I have no morals, so it might be alittle hard!:redface:

And do you really think as a non believer I am going to take him to a church that discriminates against women and gay's? or the Catholic church? Not all churches are bad.
Plus I enjoyed going to vacation bible school and church camp as a child. And if my child chooses to become or stay a chrisitian, that his choice not mine. My parents let me make my own choice but they also made sure as a child I had a strong foundation and church does help with that.

"Talking" to you about Christianity is no more out there than talking to you about the weather or the price of sugar or anything else.

If you want to control the topics people broach with you, perhaps you should wear a sign around your neck saying so.

I think people have the tendency to get offended about religion because they have a set standard in their minds of what they believe, and also religion sorta forces one to think about or question those "beliefs."

What does this type of behavior do to further society?
If people open their minds and begin actually thinking, and we nurture a culture that values analytical thought, logic, and discovery instead of the ignorance and close-mindedness that is at the core of religious thought, America can become a world leader in technology, political theory, and the sciences again. The nations that have prospered and further Mankind's development in the past were those that shunned archaic ways of thinking and didn't accept the easy cop-out that 'the gods did it.' Those who have furthered Mankind's sciences and even civil rights were those who saw the contradictions and spoke out who saw the stagnation of intellect and challenged themselves and others to find real answers regarding the workings of the world, and who dared to ask 'why' and 'how' and demand an answer.

Now you tell me, what does the closed mindedness of the vast majority of theists, the line of thought and social environment that values ignorance and embraces giving up on knowing- what does that do to further society? You cannot cite anything religion has done to further society aside from provide an oft brutal social hierarchy and a means for the elites to control, dominate, and manipulate the masses. Even those theists who furthered scientists did so because they challenged the culture of ignorance and dared venture into areas reserved for the gods, to demand answers regarding the nature of the world around them, to reject that ignorant and arrogant three-word answer and follow reason, intellect, and the sciences so that they might know.

answer the question...

I belong to another message board and brought up this very topic. There is not one mention of religion there exc when someone says "Say a prayer" or "God rest his soul" or "Merry Christmas" Yet when these kind words are written the atheists come out of the woodwork to attack the messengers with anti-God hate filled retorts. Atheism is one of the most radical and intolerant religions.

I belong to another message board and brought up this very topic. There is not one mention of religion there exc when someone says "Say a prayer" or "God rest his soul" or "Merry Christmas" Yet when these kind words are written the atheists come out of the woodwork to attack the messengers with anti-God hate filled retorts. Atheism is one of the most radical and intolerant religions.
Are you fucking kidding me??? When was the last time you saw some kill another person in the name of atheism? Now how many people kill in the name of your God?
Sometimes I really wonder how some of you can breath with your head so deap in sand???

I am sure you are giving us an entirely unbiased description. :eusa_whistle:

Besides you just contradicted your first sentance in your second.

Atheists are intolerant non-believers.

Why else would they try to shake someone else's belief in something bigger than themselves?

It's because they are so small.

I am an agnostic. I used to challenge Christians to prove their Christian belief. I think that I did this because, “deep down”, I wanted to believe in life after death. I would challenge them on seemingly contradictory or absurd Bible quotations. I would challenge them on their behavior as being contradictory to Biblical teaching. I would tell them about despicable preachers and ask them how anyone who believed so strongly in salvation would commit such evil acts. (Look up stories about Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and Ted Haggerty).

Sometimes, I would see if I could get Christians to reexamine their faith in the face of modern science, Biblical contradictions, and the like.

Finally, be careful when generalizing. You would not deny that there are also meddlesome and pesky Christians who will continue to badger people – thinking that it is their duty to convert the unbeliever at practically any cost – even when they are politely asked by the unbeliever to leave him alone.

That Christian is more of a myth than anything else. Yes Jehovah's will hit your house on a regular basis...but so do encyclopedia and vacuum cleaner salesmen.

By and large, the more offensive are the non-believers who think they are within their "rights" and who think they OWE it to humanity to de-value Christians...and who meanwhile are honestly just trying to find an argument convincing enough to save them.
How many atheist groups do you see attacking certain groups for their life style or choices?
Plus the fact we represent a much smaller part of the population there is real no way we would have a larger number of offensive people. Christians control this country and someone is not a christian is going to be the outsider along with being questioned about their beliefs more often than christian will be. So stop acting like you are the wounded party.

jb is an atheist that continually attacks those that do not believe the same as him, while he continually tries to convert believers in to nonbelievers, why does he get a ''pass''?

Atheists like him and another 5 or ten of them here on site, do attack the lifestyle and behaviors of christians luissa....????

care

Forum List

Back