What is a "job".

Many no doubt are.

It still sounds like a lot but a $million isn't what it used to be.
Income inequality has been increasing for some time, making it a more prevalent and pressing issue in the US. More specifically, income inequality has risen drastically since 1980.

This is causing serious issues for the American public, especially those living in poverty. Combined with recent inflation, income inequality is a recipe for disaster.

Senator Ernest Hollings expressed the problem years ago.

"Dey's too much consumin' goin' on roun' heah."

Last edited:
You don't consider the topic worthy of serious thought? I became a millionaire by following my own advice. I want to help others do the same
So what would you say to someone like me?… I’m more than happy being the employee. I put in my time. I give 100% effort every minute of my 40 hours; but after that I own my time and anything more expected of me comes at a serious premium.

So what would you say to someone like me?… I’m more than happy being the employee. I put in my time. I give 100% effort every minute of my 40 hours; but after that I own my time and anything more expected of me comes at a serious premium.
If you're happy with 40 hours pay, go for it. I've nearly always had additional jobs nights and weekends. I volunteered for Sunday work on my regular job because it paid double time. I still had plenty of time for myself. I had evening bartending jobs as well. I didn't have to make a fool of myself on the other side of the bar to meet women. They came on to me. :cool:

God actually presented the guide for material success,

"Six days shall you labor (not five)....."

I would say that's an employee mindset.

The business owner mindset is that no one ever achieved real success by only working 40 hours a week.

If you're happy with 40 hours pay, go for it. I've nearly always had additional jobs nights and weekends. I volunteered for Sunday work on my regular job because it paid double time. I still had plenty of time for myself. I had evening bartending jobs as well. I didn't have to make a fool of myself on the other side of the bar to meet women. They came on to me. :cool:

God actually presented the guide for material success,

"Six days shall you labor (not five)....."
Yeah that god also wants 10% of your gross pay

Yeah that god also wants 10% of your gross pay
The tithe was the only 'tax' levied on Israel. Oh that it were so today. I pay 22 percent, State and Federal. A flat tax of 10 percent and this country would blossom like the rose economically.

Plus your 10% to your god right?
The tithe was 'levied' (interesting term) to support the tribe of Levi, which comprised the Levitical priesthood in ancient Israel. As they were given no land to provide their material support the other tribes ponied up a tenth of their production for them. This tenth was almost exclusively food and other needed materials. Today any Levites are part of Judaism only. Christianity doesn't follow the Levitical priesthood, but rather the priesthood of the 'order of Melchizedek' or Jesus Christ.

The tithe was also used to help the poor in the land as well.

Christian churches and ministry are supported by freewill offerings of all sorts. There is no commanded percentage of income, although the tithe is often suggested as a giving principle.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you're happy with 40 hours pay, go for it. I've nearly always had additional jobs nights and weekends. I volunteered for Sunday work on my regular job because it paid double time. I still had plenty of time for myself. I had evening bartending jobs as well. I didn't have to make a fool of myself on the other side of the bar to meet women. They came on to me
40 hours pays my family’s bills. We don’t live a lavish lifestyle. I work OT on Saturday occasionally to bank extra for vacations or large purchases. The only other time I do OT is for contractually obligated Mandatory Storm Response (utility industry). In those circumstances I’ve worked up to a 120 hour week.

As someone who puts In 100% all the time at work, I have no interest in spending my free time doing the work my co-workers were supposed to be doing during their 40 hour work week. As I’ve told multiple supervisors… “I don’t want OT pay. If I do half their work I want half their regular pay.”

40 hours pays my family’s bills. We don’t live a lavish lifestyle. I work OT on Saturday occasionally to bank extra for vacations or large purchases. The only other time I do OT is for contractually obligated Mandatory Storm Response (utility industry). In those circumstances I’ve worked up to a 120 hour week.

As someone who puts In 100% all the time at work, I have no interest in spending my free time doing the work my co-workers were supposed to be doing during their 40 hour work week. As I’ve told multiple supervisors… “I don’t want OT pay. If I do half their work I want half their regular pay.”
I only have only one job now, but it often requires extra work. I don't get extra pay but I take comp time for it. Works great as our slow period is during hunting season which gives me lots of time in the woods. :)

I only have only one job now, but it often requires extra work. I don't get extra pay but I take comp time for it. Works great as our slow period is during hunting season which gives me lots of time in the woods
I’ve been in industries that expected extensive overtime. I wouldn’t even consider ever returning to those jobs.

I prefer to be paid rather than get compensating time off. I find that by some cosmic curse any time I’m not at work the amount of items that accumulate in my queue rises exponentially to what comes in while I’m available to do the work. That seriously annoys me.

I’ve been in industries that expected extensive overtime. I wouldn’t even consider ever returning to those jobs.

I prefer to be paid rather than get compensating time off. I find that by some cosmic curse any time I’m not at work the amount of items that accumulate in my queue rises exponentially to what comes in while I’m available to do the work. That seriously annoys me.
Bummer.
I'm able to self-manage nearly all of my work. If I do need help the boss sends reinforcements.

Bummer.
I'm able to self-manage nearly all of my work. If I do need help the boss sends reinforcements
The problem is that I AM the Cavalry. I’m the guy who gets called in to fix everyone else’s backlogs and screw ups. I’m often expected to cover my work and someone else’s when they’re out of work; but they’re not expected to reciprocate.

Forum List

Back