What if Vesuvius Erupts?

Yellowstone would make Mt. Saint Helens look like a little fire cracker.

***snip***

The eruption could be expected to kill as many as 90,000 people immediately and spread a 10-foot (3-meter) layer of molten ash as far as 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) from the park. Rescuers probably would have a tough time getting in there. The ash would block off all points of entry from the ground, and the spread of ash and gases into the atmosphere would stop most air travel, just as it did when a much smaller volcano erupted in Iceland in 2010 [source: Lemas].

Equally as frightening is the "nuclear winter" that some experts say could blanket the U.S. and other parts of the world if Yellowstone were to blow. Sulfuric gases released from the volcano would spring into the atmosphere and mix with the planet's water vapor. The haze of gas that could drape the country wouldn't just dim the sunlight — it also would cool temperatures. Falling temperatures would do a number on our food supply, decimating crops and throwing the food chain out of whack by leaving those at the bottom with little to eat. In fact, that's what many climate scientists believe happened in C.E. 535 after a supervolcano erupted in Java [sources: Browne, Weather Underground, Achenbach].

The super volcano eruption isn't even a flea bite compared to a giant volcanic caldera eruption like Yellowstone would be.

To put things in perspective, St. Helen's launched about .8 cubic miles of material into the atmosphere.

Yellowstone would hurl well over 600 cubic miles of rock and rubble. It would wipe out hundreds of thousands of square miles of land.

The climate effect would be immediate, and catastrophic. There would even be an effect in the southern hemisphere.

Fascinating, Did you also believe that the idea that cigarette smoking was bad for you wasn't true?

Don't be a fucking retard. Before a giant caldera eruption occurs there is a massive uplift. Hundreds of square miles will be uplifted over a mile. It is called "regional tumescense".

You should try reading a book on geology some time. All of this is well known. We have been studying these types of eruptions for over 75 years now.

Don't be a fucking retard. Before a giant caldera eruption occurs there is a massive uplift. Hundreds of square miles will be uplifted over a mile. It is called "regional tumescense".

You should try reading a book on geology some time. All of this is well known. We have been studying these types of eruptions for over 75 years now.
What you were talking about was your belief that in the 30's global warming was higher than it is now. Sooner or later a denier shows their true self, always.

Yeah, it is. I hate to break it to ya but the 1930's were much warmer than the present day.

You are being lied to but you don't seem to care.
Yeah, I was just reading something today, about, how we haven't had this sort of weather since our founding fathers had to sit inside and figure out what sort of government we should have.

Folks sure can have their heads cleaned out by propaganda, and really don't have a lot of historical perspective, they just go on and believe what they are told, like we have never had this sort of weather before.

. . . but we did learn, in school, it had been this hot before, it's not like this is the first time.

Yeah, I was just reading something today, about, how we haven't had this sort of weather since our founding fathers had to sit inside and figure out what sort of government we should have.

Folks sure can have their heads cleaned out by propaganda, and really don't have a lot of historical perspective, they just go on and believe what they are told, like we have never had this sort of weather before.

. . . but we did learn, in school, it had been this hot before, it's not like this is the first time.
This year Europe has broken all records.

Hasn't Earth warmed and cooled naturally throughout history? | NOAA Climate.gov

That only goes up to 2015 however. Last year possibly, this year definitely. The lie about it being warmer in the 30's was I think motivated by the information in the link I gave. I honestly do not care about the few people for whatever reason they have who continue denying but think possibly I should not encourage them by replying. ;) We might see a few more people out in their tractors as in Holland and then that will be it. :)

Last edited:
... and is also Europe's most active volcano, and experts think it is ready for another eruption any time ...

I understand leaving the Canary Islands off your list of "What's in Europe" ... but Mt Edna is currently erupting ... and by all accounts, Sicily is a part of Europe ...

The flanks of volcanoes of this type tend to be the richest soils around ... Vesuvius is no exception ... indeed, just a few miles away are some of the most productive vineyards in the world, growing inside the caldera of another volcano ...

Of course it is to be expected as we continue to destruct our world that things like Volcanoes going off will happen more often. Meanwhile Europe is being roasted and that includes the UK which is expecting temperatures of 38 and 39 degrees in the next few days. For the first time ever we have a red warning over hot weather. That means it is a risk to life. The old, those with heart problems and young babies have been advised to stay in on Monday and Tuesday. Records being broken almost every year now.

I saw yesterday about the record heat expected in England this week. You can certainly expect more intense heat waves to hit the U.K., as we all know that climate change is occurring the fastest at the poles (conveniently out of view for climate change deniers) and the most disruptive changes will migrate to the farthest northern and southern latitudes first. I see that England is now becoming wine country, thanks to climate change. For wine lovers, it is like the frog in the pot on the stove, enjoying the warm water while it can.

I saw yesterday about the record heat expected in England this week. You can certainly expect more intense heat waves to hit the U.K., as we all know that climate change is occurring the fastest at the poles (conveniently out of view for climate change deniers) and the most disruptive changes will migrate to the farthest northern and southern latitudes first. I see that England is now becoming wine country, thanks to climate change. For wine lovers, it is like the frog in the pot on the stove, enjoying the warm water while it can.

Just like during the Medieval Warming Period when England challenged France in wine production.

800 years ago.

View attachment 671067

One of the most famous volcanoes of all time (in 79 A.D. it buried Pompeii) and is also Europe's most active volcano, and experts think it is ready for another eruption any time. It is located next to 600,000 people directly in the blast zone, and the city of Naples (3 million) would be buried in ash.

Mount Vesuvius is one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, located in the most densely populated volcanic region in the world.

It's a stratovolcano, a type known for its explosive eruptions. It's very active, having blown a dozens times before, including after the famous Pompeii event. It last erupted 1944, when 26 people were killed, nearby villages destroyed and US airplanes based at the Pompeii airfield nearby coated with a thick layer of ash.

Cost of an Eruption

Even at that level, an eruption would create an intense heat blast capable of cooking people to death in less than a second, followed by a pyroclastic flow of lava and rock while smoke and ashes would shoot into the atmosphere. By some expert estimates, a VEI 4 or 5 eruption could kill over 10,000 people and cost the Italian economy more than $20 billion. Millions of people would certainly lose power, water and transportation, some for months.

Like Eyjafjallajökull (VEI 4), which blew in 2010, an eruption would disrupt air travel and shipping on the entire continent, this time for weeks — not days.

What happens when Yellowstone erupts. Stuff happins!

This year Europe has broken all records.

Hasn't Earth warmed and cooled naturally throughout history? | NOAA Climate.gov

That only goes up to 2015 however. Last year possibly, this year definitely. The lie about it being warmer in the 30's was I think motivated by the information in the link I gave. I honestly do not care about the few people for whatever reason they have who continue denying but think possibly I should not encourage them by replying. ;) We might see a few more people out in their tractors as in Holland and then that will be it. :)
Believe what ever you want, I am not going to change your mind.

Believe what ever you want, I am not going to change your mind.
Well that is facts. Europe is experiencing a heatwave of unprecedented proportions. If you do not believe that then you are one of the people responsible for a new University course on why some people choose to believe what is blatantly obvious is not the truth. In particular giving up any trust in experts like scientists somehow imagining they know better. I prefer to deal with reality.

Well that is facts. Europe is experiencing a heatwave of unprecedented proportions. If you do not believe that then you are one of the people responsible for a new University course on why some people choose to believe what is blatantly obvious is not the truth. In particular giving up any trust in experts like scientists somehow imagining they know better. I prefer to deal with reality.

Not unprecedented. Just another in a long line of warm months....during the summer.

Or, let me put it another way, to those who refuse to read the climate history it is unprecedented. To those who are educated, and have read their history, it is no big deal.

And guess what, we have a flat in Paris. Been in my wife's family for 600 years. We have air conditioning.

Most of our neighbors do because it makes the summer much nicer.

Not unprecedented. Just another in a long line of warm months....during the summer.

Or, let me put it another way, to those who refuse to read the climate history it is unprecedented. To those who are educated, and have read their history, it is no big deal.

And guess what, we have a flat in Paris. Been in my wife's family for 600 years. We have air conditioning.

Most of our neighbors do because it makes the summer much nicer.
When you set records, things ARE, at least to some extent, UNPRECEDENTED. That's sort of what "records" mean.

Forum List

Back