What if Vesuvius Erupts?

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
pompeii_eruption.jpg

One of the most famous volcanoes of all time (in 79 A.D. it buried Pompeii) and is also Europe's most active volcano, and experts think it is ready for another eruption any time. It is located next to 600,000 people directly in the blast zone, and the city of Naples (3 million) would be buried in ash.

Mount Vesuvius is one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, located in the most densely populated volcanic region in the world.

It's a stratovolcano, a type known for its explosive eruptions. It's very active, having blown a dozens times before, including after the famous Pompeii event. It last erupted 1944, when 26 people were killed, nearby villages destroyed and US airplanes based at the Pompeii airfield nearby coated with a thick layer of ash.

Cost of an Eruption

Even at that level, an eruption would create an intense heat blast capable of cooking people to death in less than a second, followed by a pyroclastic flow of lava and rock while smoke and ashes would shoot into the atmosphere. By some expert estimates, a VEI 4 or 5 eruption could kill over 10,000 people and cost the Italian economy more than $20 billion. Millions of people would certainly lose power, water and transportation, some for months.

Like Eyjafjallajökull (VEI 4), which blew in 2010, an eruption would disrupt air travel and shipping on the entire continent, this time for weeks — not days.

Volcanoes come & go. I survived the Mt. Saint Helens eruption just fine & I lived in the heaviest hit area for ash accumulation(Spokane Wa. general area).The volcanoes have been erupting since mankind began recording his history & mankind seems none the worse for all those eruptions. Honestly I am more concerned about bio warfare &/or a nuclear exchange than I am about a volcano or two blowing its top(s).

Of course it is to be expected as we continue to destruct our world that things like Volcanoes going off will happen more often. Meanwhile Europe is being roasted and that includes the UK which is expecting temperatures of 38 and 39 degrees in the next few days. For the first time ever we have a red warning over hot weather. That means it is a risk to life. The old, those with heart problems and young babies have been advised to stay in on Monday and Tuesday. Records being broken almost every year now.

Of course it is to be expected as we continue to destruct our world that things like Volcanoes going off will happen more often. Meanwhile Europe is being roasted and that includes the UK which is expecting temperatures of 38 and 39 degrees in the next few days. For the first time ever we have a red warning over hot weather. That means it is a risk to life. The old, those with heart problems and young babies have been advised to stay in on Monday and Tuesday. Records being broken almost every year now.

Yeah, imagine that it took over a CENTURY to break most of those records.

They tell us that climate change is exposing ancient settlements, oh horror!

Buuuuuuuut, doesn't that mean it was warmer in the past?

DURRRRRR

Yeah, imagine that it took over a CENTURY to break most of those records.

They tell us that climate change is exposing ancient settlements, oh horror!

Buuuuuuuut, doesn't that mean it was warmer in the past?

DURRRRRR
You are trying to say this sort of weather is normal in Europe. You are wrong. People don't even have air conditioning here which they certainly would if this was the sort of weather we were used to.

You are trying to say this sort of weather is normal in Europe. You are wrong. People don't even have air conditioning here which they certainly would if this was the sort of weather we were used to.

Yeah, it is. I hate to break it to ya but the 1930's were much warmer than the present day.

You are being lied to but you don't seem to care.

Volcanoes come & go. I survived the Mt. Saint Helens eruption just fine & I lived in the heaviest hit area for ash accumulation(Spokane Wa. general area).The volcanoes have been erupting since mankind began recording his history & mankind seems none the worse for all those eruptions. Honestly I am more concerned about bio warfare &/or a nuclear exchange than I am about a volcano or two blowing its top(s).
Yellowstone would make Mt. Saint Helens look like a little fire cracker.

***snip***

The eruption could be expected to kill as many as 90,000 people immediately and spread a 10-foot (3-meter) layer of molten ash as far as 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) from the park. Rescuers probably would have a tough time getting in there. The ash would block off all points of entry from the ground, and the spread of ash and gases into the atmosphere would stop most air travel, just as it did when a much smaller volcano erupted in Iceland in 2010 [source: Lemas].

Equally as frightening is the "nuclear winter" that some experts say could blanket the U.S. and other parts of the world if Yellowstone were to blow. Sulfuric gases released from the volcano would spring into the atmosphere and mix with the planet's water vapor. The haze of gas that could drape the country wouldn't just dim the sunlight — it also would cool temperatures. Falling temperatures would do a number on our food supply, decimating crops and throwing the food chain out of whack by leaving those at the bottom with little to eat. In fact, that's what many climate scientists believe happened in C.E. 535 after a supervolcano erupted in Java [sources: Browne, Weather Underground, Achenbach].

Yeah, it is. I hate to break it to ya but the 1930's were much warmer than the present day.

You are being lied to but you don't seem to care.
No, you have been given wrong information, It is true that there was a spike in temperatures in the late 30's up to mid 40's but that was only beating records of the time not now.

1658039276691.png

TBH Westwall the number of people still trying to argue against science is tiny, even if they are all on this site. All that is left is time wasters. I did by the way come across the article you probably got it from. Do you really believe what you are promoting? You have no kids? You are paid by the fossil fuel empires? You are set to lose your job and are fighting against that? Everyone in your neighbourhood is a climate denier and would stop buying your whatever if you chose to go by scientists. I have no idea.

Forum List

Back