What if Trump declares a State of Emergency to build his Wall

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
If the 15th of Feb rolls around and no deal is reached where he gets a border wall, what then? Trump declares a state of emergency, then what? Seems obvious, the Dems find a federal judge somewhere that puts a national restraining order on it. Ah, but what then? And on what grounds? Maybe Trump bypasses the Circuit Court (probably the 9th) and asks the DC Court of Appeals or the SCOTUS to rule on the restraining order, what then? I don't know about the makeup of the DC Court, but I do think there ought to be some limits on what a federal district judge can do outside of his jurisdiction, and that would be a good thing to get resolved. I'm guessing the DC Court or the current SCOTUS will rule in his favor, especially if RBG is unable to participate by then.

JMO, and I'm no legal expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if the higher Courts lift the restraining order, at least for the entire nation. Maybe the Court would decide that the federal judge can issue a restraining order for his district, but the person has no authority to do so for the whole country. At least not without sufficient grounds, which I doubt would exist. And IMHO Trump gets his wall.

That's the way I see this thing going, Congress doesn't have the balls to do their jobs anymore, obviously our best interests are secondary to their own. Could the higher Courts side with the lower court judge? Yeah, but that's too much power in the hands on one unelected individual if you ask me. And the Dems have to know, that whenever a future President is a Dem, the GOP will be doing the same damn thing to him/her. But that would be down the road, and nobody gives a damn about the future anymore.

Anyone opposing the wall should be named as a co-defendant in each of the murder trials that will follow the inevitable murders of actual Americans by illegals. Oh, let's not forget, the death penalty is the only effective deterrent to recidivism.

Anyone opposing the wall should be named as a co-defendant in each of the murder trials that will follow the inevitable murders of actual Americans by illegals. Oh, let's not forget, the death penalty is the only effective deterrent to recidivism.
A wall won't work and is a waste of money, that's why it's being opposed.

"What if Trump declares a State of Emergency to build his Wall"

Then he’ll further demonstrate just how desperate, wrongheaded, and arrogant he truly is.

It will be further confirmation of Trump’s contempt for our democratic institutions, the rule of law, and the will of the majority of the American people.

And it will further confirm the fact that Trump is indeed a liar and completely dishonest, as there is no ‘emergency’ on the Southern border:

U.S. Unauthorized Immigration Total Lowest in a Decade

If the 15th of Feb rolls around and no deal is reached where he gets a border wall, what then? Trump declares a state of emergency, then what? Seems obvious, the Dems find a federal judge somewhere that puts a national restraining order on it. Ah, but what then? And on what grounds? Maybe Trump bypasses the Circuit Court (probably the 9th) and asks the DC Court of Appeals or the SCOTUS to rule on the restraining order, what then? I don't know about the makeup of the DC Court, but I do think there ought to be some limits on what a federal district judge can do outside of his jurisdiction, and that would be a good thing to get resolved. I'm guessing the DC Court or the current SCOTUS will rule in his favor, especially if RBG is unable to participate by then.

JMO, and I'm no legal expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if the higher Courts lift the restraining order, at least for the entire nation. Maybe the Court would decide that the federal judge can issue a restraining order for his district, but the person has no authority to do so for the whole country. At least not without sufficient grounds, which I doubt would exist. And IMHO Trump gets his wall.

That's the way I see this thing going, Congress doesn't have the balls to do their jobs anymore, obviously our best interests are secondary to their own. Could the higher Courts side with the lower court judge? Yeah, but that's too much power in the hands on one unelected individual if you ask me. And the Dems have to know, that whenever a future President is a Dem, the GOP will be doing the same damn thing to him/her. But that would be down the road, and nobody gives a damn about the future anymore.

If Trump does that then he will look like an idiot, thus removing any & all doubt that anyone may have on the matter.

If the Trump administration is smart they would be lining up the attorneys right now and picking the judges to do battle with the dem lawyers....but once they prevail in court he will use confiscated drug cartel money to build the wall....there won't be another shut down.....but there will be a wall built.....

Perhaps you would like to explain why the Dems supported a border wall in large numbers a decade ago if it's a waste of money. And BTW, the current sections of a wall has worked very well for San Diego, Yuma, and El Paso, not to mention numerous other places around the world where border walls are being erected, care to explain that?

The US has built THE most expansive incarceration/detention/detainment/internment camp apparatus ever know to humankind. And we've returned to bondage for profit; for profit prisons with stocks traded on Wall Street and legally enslaved labor leased out to corporations, for profit internment centers which let's face it, could always be used to round up anyone in some hysterical "emergency". America is simply a culture based upon guilt, sin, blame, punishment and human sacrifice of, by and for the wealthy powerful over the poor. America will never punish it's way to salvation. Look at america's "discovery, "founding" and "settling". See if you can count the murders. As we reap, ....

Perhaps you would like to explain why the Dems supported a border wall in large numbers a decade ago if it's a waste of money. And BTW, the current sections of a wall has worked very well for San Diego, Yuma, and El Paso, not to mention numerous other places around the world where border walls are being erected, care to explain that?
Don's wall coulda been a done deal. Two years, both houses, no action.

Untrue. El Paso, TX built a wall and the illegal border crossing dropped 89%. Crime also dropped significantly.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-already-have-a-border-wall-and-it-works/

Yuma County, AZ built one and crime dropped 91%

Walls work, says Arizona sheriff who claims crime dropped by 91 percent thanks to border fence

San Diego built one and border apprehensions went down 95%, from 100,000 a year to 5,000 a year.

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control

The meager cost of President Trump's wall is far less than the massive amount of resources and lives illegals cost this country.

A President does not have the legal authority to declare a national emergency any time he wants.

However conservative SCOTUS may be they'll shutdown Trump's emergency declaration...they may be conservatives, but they're not that partisan.

In fact, if Trump declares an unfounded emergency, once SCOTUS has squashed it, it will be considered an abuse of power and will be ANOTHER valid basis for impeachment.

I just hope that Pelosi is smart enough to bring separate articles of impeachment - one for each and every of his crimes. That way the partisan hacks in the Senate will be force to try Trump over and over again until they finally remove him from office.

Untrue. El Paso, TX built a wall and the illegal border crossing dropped 89%. Crime also dropped significantly.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-already-have-a-border-wall-and-it-works/

Yuma County, AZ built one and crime dropped 91%

Walls work, says Arizona sheriff who claims crime dropped by 91 percent thanks to border fence

San Diego built one and border apprehensions went down 95%, from 100,000 a year to 5,000 a year.

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control

The meager cost of President Trump's wall is far less than the massive amount of resources and lives illegals cost this country.

If only anyone knew what the fuck Trump meant by "A Wall". He's changed the description so many times that no one knows what he wants anymore.

You'd think that the recent House resolution for a 'Smart Wall' would have satisfied him. It included funding for sections of physical obstacles in critical location - which is what he asked for in his last speech.

If Trump truly wanted border security, he would have accepted the 'Smart Wall'.

Trump apparently does not care about real border security. He just wants a $57bil check so he can build a 2000 mile long monument to himself.

Hadrian had his wall in Scotland, now Trump wants one like it.

From what I have read about Emergency Declarations is the courts have no say in an emergency declaration. The Senate is the body named in the emergency declaration that provides chechs and balances. If the 9th tries to stop it Trump can just ignore them or fast track to SC which will stop any injunction.

If Trump does that then he will look like an idiot, thus removing any & all doubt that anyone may have on the matter.
Don is already an idiot, he earned that long ago on the world stage and the entire world witnessed it all along.

The damage has been done.
President Trump has successfully branded the Democrats as open borders anti-American bigots.

Needless to say, it would be pointless, futile idiocy on Trump’s part to declare a ‘national emergency.’

Not only is there no such ‘emergency,’ any funds Trump misappropriates will be insufficient to build his ‘wall’ of fear, bigotry, and hate:

“[Trump]could seek to use unobligated funds originally set aside for military construction projects, or divert funds from Army civil works projects. There are limitations on the use of such money, and there could be strong challenges to the use of unobligated funds in other areas. There is money there to start but not nearly enough to finish such a wall without proper appropriation.”

Yes, Trump Has The Authority To Declare A National Emergency On The Southern Border

The US has built THE most expansive incarceration/detention/detainment/internment camp apparatus ever know to humankind. And we've returned to bondage for profit; for profit prisons with stocks traded on Wall Street and legally enslaved labor leased out to corporations, for profit internment centers which let's face it, could always be used to round up anyone in some hysterical "emergency". America is simply a culture based upon guilt, sin, blame, punishment and human sacrifice of, by and for the wealthy powerful over the poor. America will never punish it's way to salvation. Look at america's "discovery, "founding" and "settling". See if you can count the murders. As we reap, ....
I guess we could do like China and have no appeals and execute behind the court house afterthe trial. Maybe we should do like Mexico and let the gangs by off the Presidentfor $100 million and let the gangs run the country. Freedom in this country plus a generous welfare system has made criminals feel entitled to break the law to get what they want. Do we just tell them to not do it again? Do we execute more of them to keep the prison population down? Do we just legalize criminal activity as in give them part of the town to burn down with no consequences? What’s your answer? It seems to me that if we have more of our population willing to break the law we will have more people in prison.

I guess we could do like China and have no appeals and execute behind the court house afterthe trial. Maybe we should do like Mexico and let the gangs by off the Presidentfor $100 million and let the gangs run the country. Freedom in this country plus a generous welfare system has made criminals feel entitled to break the law to get what they want. Do we just tell them to not do it again? Do we execute more of them to keep the prison population down? Do we just legalize criminal activity as in give them part of the town to burn down with no consequences? What’s your answer? It seems to me that if we have more of our population willing to break the law we will have more people in prison.
The answer is to stop using the law to punish poverty, which is what we do in the US. As for "Freedom in this country plus a generous welfare system has made criminals feel entitled to break the law to get what they want.", yeah, our Wall Street/donor/"job creator" class who we all subsidize does indeed get away with all manner of chicanery. That's the point of our system, to maintain class hierarchies in society.

Forum List

Back