What if Tim Tebow were a Muslim

I remember Ali's career. He was extremely threatening to many people. I remember the hate toward him when he refused military service on religious grounds.

That was like 40 or 50 years ago...this is what happens when you live in the past.

I don't live in the past. Ali is relevant to this discussion. He was criticised for his openly Muslim display in the ring. I haven't thought about Muhammed Ali for many years.

I remember Ali's career. He was extremely threatening to many people. I remember the hate toward him when he refused military service on religious grounds.

That was like 40 or 50 years ago...this is what happens when you live in the past.

I don't live in the past. Ali is relevant to this discussion. He was criticised for his openly Muslim display in the ring. I haven't thought about Muhammed Ali for many years.

Yes, he was criticized 50 years ago. It's 2011 now. A muslim boxer would be largely irrelevant for most Americans.

He was criticized for being a draft dodger. No one gave a shit about him being Muslim, obviously.

bingo....hell there were the black muslims and all.....they still exist.....

but yea the draft dodging thing was what made him unpopular....but not for that long

He was criticized for being a draft dodger. No one gave a shit about him being Muslim, obviously.

Actually they did care he was Muslim. That was his reason for refusing to go to war.

I thought you weren't talking to me anymore today?

Actually they did care he was Muslim. That was his reason for refusing to go to war.

Yes, it was his reason. Few liked draft dodgers.

And, IF this is an exception (shady, at best), the exception does not make the rule.

..... I thought you weren't talking to me anymore today?
I never said that.

I said I was unsubscribing to your thread.

It's nothing personal, Sky.

Yes, he was criticized 50 years ago. It's 2011 now. A muslim boxer would be largely irrelevant for most Americans.

If a Muslim foot ball player, with the fame of Tebow, was painting his face with verses from the Q'uran, he would be harshly criticised.

To Christians, Tebow is a martyr.

Muhammed Ali recieved death threats. Nobody is threatening Tebow with death just calling him on the appropriateness of his showy display of religion.

Aligning himself with the Nation of Islam made Ali a lightning rod for controversy. Appearing at rallies with Nation of Islam leader Elijah Muhammad and declaring his allegiance to him at a time when mainstream America viewed them with suspicion — if not outright hostility — made Ali a target of outrage, as well as suspicion. Tebow's controversy is mild relative to Ali's.

Double standard? I think so. Christians get it easy.

Last edited:

If a Muslim foot ball player, with the fame of Tebow, was painting his face with verses from the Q'uran, he would be harshly criticised.

Muhammed Ali recieved death threats. Nobody is threatening Tebow with death just calling him on the appropriateness of his showy display of religion.

Muhammed Ali was more famous for his stance on the Vietnam war, not for being a Muslim, Muslims were not that hated back than.

Oh brother.... :lol:

We've had mulitple heavyweight champions (when boxing was at its peak) who were all the media craze, and were muslim and nothing happened to them let alone murdered.

Come on Sky, that was silly emotional diatribe.

So are threaten and murder the same to you sky?

Er no, it wasnt, his reasoning for not going to war was the way Blacks were being treated in the US at the time and that in his words the Viet Cong didn't do anything to him, show me a link where he said Islam forbid him from fighting in Vietnam.

You're still posting hysterical hyperbole.

Er no, it wasnt, his reasoning for not going to war was the way Blacks were being treated in the US at the time and that in his words the Viet Cong didn't do anything to him, show me a link where he said Islam forbid him from fighting in Vietnam.

Ok, I'll find one.

Ali, a Muslim, cited religious reasons for his decision to forgo military service.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/muhammad-ali-refuses-army-induction

Last edited:

Ok, I'll find one.
At this point, I wouldn't bother.

You may have an exception, and you ignore the numerous examples demonstrating your claim - that they would be hated and murdered - has no foundation.

"I never thought of myself as great when I refused to go into the Army. All I did was stand up for what I believed. There were people who thought the war in Vietnam was right. And those people, if they went to war, acted just as brave as I did. There were people who tried to put me in jail. Some of them were hypocrites, but others did what they thought was proper and I can't condemn them for following their conscience either. People say I made a sacrifice, risking jail and my whole career. but God told Abraham to kill his son and Abraham was willing to do it, so why shouldn't I follow what I believed? Standing up for my religion made me happy; it wasn't a sacrifice.

Freedom means being able to follow your religion, but it also means carrying the responsibility to choose between right and wrong. So when the time came for me to make up my mind about going in the Army, I knew people were dying in Vietnam for nothing and I should live by what I thought was right. I wanted America to be America. And now the whole world knows that, so far as my own beliefs are concerned, I did what was right for me."

Whatever the punishment, whatever the persecution is for standing up for my beliefs, even if it means facing machine-gun fire that day, I'll face it before denouncing Elijah Muhammad and the religion of Islam."

The Thoughts of Muhammad Ali in Exile, c. 1967

To all the folks who support Tebow celebrating his love of God with the pointing and kneeling, how would you feel if he were a Muslim.

If he screamed Allah U Akbar and thanked Allah every time his receivers caught a ball, would you support him? I recently saw Hannity talking about how great he thought Tebow was for thanking God so visually. Would he say the same thing if he thanked Allah?
:eusa_hand: I've seen posters on this thread complain about Muslims bowing to the east.

They'd go batshit crazy.

It would annoy me to the same level that Tebow's uber-religion annoys me.

To all the folks who support Tebow celebrating his love of God with the pointing and kneeling, how would you feel if he were a Muslim.

If he screamed Allah U Akbar and thanked Allah every time his receivers caught a ball, would you support him? I recently saw Hannity talking about how great he thought Tebow was for thanking God so visually. Would he say the same thing if he thanked Allah?

they'd have protested his being hired and claimed that football was being taken over by sharia law.

:D I wish I'd said that.

Forum List

Back