What I HATE more than carrots

Growing up in New York, "iced tea" meant it was flavored with sugar and lemon (like that Lipton Iced Tea mix).

Now that I live in the south (northeastern Florida), proper "iced tea" comes only one of two ways: sweet or unsweetened.

I opt for sweet tea...

Okay, LUCY DON'T READ THIS -- YOU'LL GAG but when I was in Charleston for a visit, I fell in love with Sweet Tea at this little hole in the wall soul food restaurant run by an ancient old black lady and two of her daughters. It was the first time I ever had Sweet Tea (pretty much all they had, if I remember right). It came in a big glass jammed full of ice cubes and it was STRONG. Strong tea, LOTS of lemon and LOTS of sugar. The tea and lemon balanced the sugar and the whole thing was so concentrated it just exploded in your mouth, ice cold mindja.

After that, I tried Sweet Tea at two other places and it was that watered down sugar water someone here already mentioned. No good at all.

I'll never forget the Sweet Tea at that little place. It's a best foods memory like the grilled oysters with a tiny pile of good caviar I had once.

Oh lord, now I'm getting hungry.
I hope you got yourself some whole hog barbeque at Scott's in Charleston while you were there. There's just nothing quite as good as whole hog barbeque.
That was the one culinary disappointment of the trip--I didn't get to a barbecue place! We didn't have a car. I would LOVE to try some. I don't know about the vinegar/mustard sauce though. I've grown up with tangy sweet.
I've had the vinegar/mustard type....... It's an acquired taste that I doubt I'll ever acquire..........
Well I'm no proponent of mustard in barbeque sauce that's limited to SOUTH Carolina and my taste for barbecue was developed in NORTH Carolina. Actually I don't use it at all on my Q but I do makeup a table or finishing sauce for others that's pepper, vinegar, some ketchup and a little sugar (very little sugar).
Yup, had both North and South Carolina sauces, wasn't impressed with either, both are too vinegary for my tastes. For those who love them, more power to em. However most "typical" sauces are too sweet for me, I either make my own or mix Stubbs with Kraft Original.
If you get the meat right no sauce is necessary. Dry rub, smoke and eat.

BTW there's no such thing as traditional barbecue sauce.
Semantics....... Okay then what is normally sold as BBQ sauce in grocery stores...... Geeze.
That's crap. Sugary gob, yeck. Wretched stuff.
I agree but the rest of the US isn't N & S Carolina.........

Of course you're aware that North Carolina is considered THE capital of the barbeque universe and were it all began. In fact as a small kid I lived on Knob Hill in Lexington NC just atop were Lexington Barbeque now stands which many consider to be the central hub of the hub. The naval of barbeque country so to speak. However they do pork shoulder pulkwd pork not whole hog but they do cook it the right way, over hot embers only from oak and hickory wood.

Okay, LUCY DON'T READ THIS -- YOU'LL GAG but when I was in Charleston for a visit, I fell in love with Sweet Tea at this little hole in the wall soul food restaurant run by an ancient old black lady and two of her daughters. It was the first time I ever had Sweet Tea (pretty much all they had, if I remember right). It came in a big glass jammed full of ice cubes and it was STRONG. Strong tea, LOTS of lemon and LOTS of sugar. The tea and lemon balanced the sugar and the whole thing was so concentrated it just exploded in your mouth, ice cold mindja.

After that, I tried Sweet Tea at two other places and it was that watered down sugar water someone here already mentioned. No good at all.

I'll never forget the Sweet Tea at that little place. It's a best foods memory like the grilled oysters with a tiny pile of good caviar I had once.

I hope you got yourself some whole hog barbeque at Scott's in Charleston while you were there. There's just nothing quite as good as whole hog barbeque.
That was the one culinary disappointment of the trip--I didn't get to a barbecue place! We didn't have a car. I would LOVE to try some. I don't know about the vinegar/mustard sauce though. I've grown up with tangy sweet.
I've had the vinegar/mustard type....... It's an acquired taste that I doubt I'll ever acquire..........
Well I'm no proponent of mustard in barbeque sauce that's limited to SOUTH Carolina and my taste for barbecue was developed in NORTH Carolina. Actually I don't use it at all on my Q but I do makeup a table or finishing sauce for others that's pepper, vinegar, some ketchup and a little sugar (very little sugar).
Yup, had both North and South Carolina sauces, wasn't impressed with either, both are too vinegary for my tastes. For those who love them, more power to em. However most "typical" sauces are too sweet for me, I either make my own or mix Stubbs with Kraft Original.

Semantics....... Okay then what is normally sold as BBQ sauce in grocery stores...... Geeze.
Most Americans like a cup of sugar or high fructose corn syrup in their food...... or so it would seem......
Yeah they do and it's killing them with type 2 diabetes. If it isn't sugar they load it down with salt or both. The cost of the convenience of processed foods is a few years off of your life it seems.

What I HATE more than carrots this is Ice Tea, a disgusting monstrosity. When I was in Texas for six months I was subjected to this and because I am polite I on two occasions accepted Ice Tea, but I add on BOTH of these occasions I made the Ice Tea able to drink by putting Jim Beam (Bourbon) in it.

This has randomly entered my head approx 10 minutes ago, the Ice Tea situation I was subjected to, not sure why it randomly entered my head, I think I must have been psychologically traumatised by it and it return to me in a Flashback :omg:

Southern Iced tea is too sweet... The better way to learn to love it is to ice it with fruit juice as a sweetener... Suggest "pineapple"... :cool:

Thats just totally wrong.
You can add however much sugar you want or none at all.

Now you're coming after me for suggesting "fruit tea"?? This thread has taken a wicked turn...

I'll tell in truth -- since you punched it right of me... 3 out of 10 times I'll choose "sweet tea".. There.. we're cool...

Don't know if you realize that Southern sweet tea isn't just a cup of tea and a reasonable amount of sugar.. It's tea flavored corn syrup...
I'm from the south and never once have I ever seen anyone put syrup in tea. Cane sugar yes but syrup never.

Sweet tea and grits. Yuck!
I knew there was something wrong with ya, but I had no idea how deep the putrefaction ran. ;)
I'm from MI, we eat potatoes and not grits.;)
I was born in Va then moved to North and then South Carolina. I never really saw grits till we got to South Carolina. Then they were on your breakfast plate whether you ordered them or not. The only way I ever really liked them was chilled overnight then sliced and fried and served with syrup like pancakes the next morning. I guess it's a matter of what you were brought up eating. Like some of the shit they eat in Asia would gag a maggot and some of the French crap can really turn my stomach too.
Given the choice of where to eat in Europe, I'll take Bavaria any day with France running way down at the bottom of the list.

Of course you're aware that North Carolina is considered THE capital of the barbeque universe and were it all began. In fact as a small kid I lived on Knob Hill in Lexington NC just atop were Lexington Barbeque now stands which many consider to be the central hub of the hub. The naval of barbeque country so to speak. However they do pork shoulder pulkwd pork not whole hog but they do cook it the right way, over hot embers only from oak and hickory wood.
No I didn't know that but then again I'm really don't do BBQ too often, I'm more of a Tex-Mex and New Mexican lover. Matter of fact I'm looking to make some traditional Carnitas next week. Carnitas are Mexican pulled pork, cooked covered in lard with citrus, cilantro and beer in a dutch oven. At least that's the base recipe, serve with salsa or whatever you want.

I knew there was something wrong with ya, but I had no idea how deep the putrefaction ran. ;)
I was born in Va then moved to North and then South Carolina. I never really saw grits till we got to South Carolina. Then they were on your breakfast plate whether you ordered them or not. The only way I ever really liked them was chilled overnight then sliced and fried and served with syrup like pancakes the next morning. I guess it's a matter of what you were brought up eating. Like some of the shit they eat in Asia would gag a maggot and some of the French crap can really turn my stomach too.
Given the choice of where to eat in Europe, I'll take Bavaria any day with France running way down at the bottom of the list.
I didn't see much in the way of grits in Virginia either but I lived in Northern Virginia (wife was born and raised in Fairfax). The only way I like grits is with butter, bacon and cheese. As for some of the stuff they ate in Asia, I spent a third of my childhood growing up there (military brat), none of it bothered me........

Most Americans like a cup of sugar or high fructose corn syrup in their food...... or so it would seem......
Yeah they do and it's killing them with type 2 diabetes. If it isn't sugar they load it down with salt or both. The cost of the convenience of processed foods is a few years off of your life it seems.
High fructose corn syrup and a multitude of other processed corn products infuse a large number of processed foods, I look for more natural (and more expensive) "processed" foods that do not contain either fructose or corn products. Mostly I use them in very limited quantities.

No I didn't know that but then again I'm really don't do BBQ too often, I'm more of a Tex-Mex and New Mexican lover. Matter of fact I'm looking to make some traditional Carnitas next week. Carnitas are Mexican pulled pork, cooked covered in lard with citrus, cilantro and beer in a dutch oven. At least that's the base recipe, serve with salsa or whatever you want.
Look forward to seeing this in the Food forum. :thup:

What I HATE more than carrots this is Ice Tea, a disgusting monstrosity. When I was in Texas for six months I was subjected to this and because I am polite I on two occasions accepted Ice Tea, but I add on BOTH of these occasions I made the Ice Tea able to drink by putting Jim Beam (Bourbon) in it.

This has randomly entered my head approx 10 minutes ago, the Ice Tea situation I was subjected to, not sure why it randomly entered my head, I think I must have been psychologically traumatised by it and it return to me in a Flashback :omg:

Southern Iced tea is too sweet... The better way to learn to love it is to ice it with fruit juice as a sweetener... Suggest "pineapple"... :cool:

Now you're coming after me for suggesting "fruit tea"?? This thread has taken a wicked turn...

I'll tell in truth -- since you punched it right of me... 3 out of 10 times I'll choose "sweet tea".. There.. we're cool...

Don't know if you realize that Southern sweet tea isn't just a cup of tea and a reasonable amount of sugar.. It's tea flavored corn syrup...
I'm from the south and never once have I ever seen anyone put syrup in tea. Cane sugar yes but syrup never.

You've never been back in the kitchens apparently.. Takes less time to mix that much sugar using HF Corn syrup...

Compared to your normal diet of jism and dingleberries I can see you reluctance.
Shame, shame, HWGA! I don't believe "jism" and "dingleberries" are suitable for this forum......

In this case I had to throw out the rules.
I CAN understand why. We've had mods contributing to this thread from the start, and they haven't pooh-poohed (Wait, is THAT acceptable in this forum?!?) you, so you're most likely safe!

Zone2 forum.. reasonable dirty words expected.. But with "topical content".. :safetocomeoutff:

Tropical content? Like, "It's so fucking hot in this mother fucking rain forest!"

One of your more legal and astute posts in awhile.... :2up: Now just go find the topic...

If ya can :laugh:

Well, good for you. That's what I'd do.

However, I'd order much better bourbons than Jimmy Beam. I'd be happy to provide a list if you ever need one.

Potatoes are great...love them. But good grits with butter and salt...mmm-mmm yummy. Think I'm going to have some for breakfast.

Also, shrimp and potatoes doesn't sound good at all, while shrimp and grits are heavenly. :tongue-44:

I’ve never had grits. I don’t think I could bring myself to eat them, just looking at them.

Growing up in New York, "iced tea" meant it was flavored with sugar and lemon (like that Lipton Iced Tea mix).

Now that I live in the south (northeastern Florida), proper "iced tea" comes only one of two ways: sweet or unsweetened.

I opt for sweet tea...

I used to drink a lot of tea when I was younger, i.e. hot tea. So when I moved to Florida and ordered a "tea" at a restaurant thinking I was getting a hot tea, I was surprised they'd bring out this huge abomination of iced tea with about four gallons of sugar in the glass.

If I drink it today, I drink it unsweetened.

I’ve never had grits. I don’t think I could bring myself to eat them, just looking at them.

Grits are pretty bland unto themselves. But creamy grits, cheese grits or some other flavored grits can be pretty tasty.

Shrimp & grits is the only way I'll eat them.

I did a photo shoot for a local restaurant. Of course, I got to eat the food after I photographed it. This was their "Shrimp & Grit Cakes".

Unreal...

48405808586_c78fcfd0f5_z.jpg

You've never been back in the kitchens apparently.. Takes less time to mix that much sugar using HF Corn syrup...

Dummy, a true southerner doesn't buy sweet tea at the friggin grocery store,they make it themselves. That shit is made for yankee dumbasses and city idjits.

Forum List

Back