What happened to Baghdad Bob

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
Comical Ali he was called by England's press. Even Italy called him this name. But in America he was known as Baghdad Bob. My lord, the story follows as to his reports and if he believed them. Hussein would execute an officer for giving honest reports on their losses.

It was funny at the time. We thought he simply lied. But apparently he really took the word of the military officers.

Al-Sahhaf is known for his daily press briefings in Baghdad during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. His colorful appearances caused him to be nicknamed "Baghdad Bob"[4] (in the style of previous propagandists with geographical aliases—some of them alliterative, such as "Hanoi Hannah" and "Seoul City Sue") by commentators in the United States. He was nicknamed "Comical Ali" by commentators in the United Kingdom; commentators in Italy similarly nicknamed him "Alì il Comico". These nicknames were given because he made statements about the conflict that were wildly at odds with reality, and western media treated him as a parody during the initial stages of the Iraq War.[5]

On 25 June 2003, British newspaper the Daily Mirror reported that al-Sahhaf had been captured by coalition troops at a roadblock in Baghdad.[4] The report was not confirmed by military authorities and was denied by al-Sahhaf's family through Abu Dhabi TV. The next day, al-Sahhaf recorded an interview for Dubai-based news channel al-Arabiya.[12] He was reportedly paid as much as US$200,000 for the television interview, during which he appeared very withdrawn, in contrast with the bombastic persona he projected during the war. Many of his answers consisted of a simple "yes" or "no". He refused to speculate on the causes of the downfall of the Iraqi government and answered only "history will tell" when asked if video clips purporting to prove that Saddam Hussein was alive were genuine, amid speculation at that time that Hussein had been killed during the war.

His fame quickly evaporated as the war continued into the insurgency phase; from the middle of 2003 onward, he faded from the public spotlight, and was no longer a figure in the war. Al-Sahhaf said that he had surrendered to United States forces, had been interrogated by them and then released.[13][14] He was not charged for his role in Saddam Hussein's government.[14]

In March 2008, it was reported by The Times that al-Sahhaf was living in the United Arab Emirates.[15]

He got a sex change and a deep pigmentation job

biden-jean-pierre-381.jpg

Iraq was much better off under Saddam Hussein who was excellent at killing terrorists according to Mr. Trump.

Millions of Christians fled Iraq after 2003. Hell the second in command under Saddam was a Iraqi Christian.

Iraq was much better off under Saddam Hussein who was excellent at killing terrorists according to Mr. Trump.

Millions of Christians fled Iraq after 2003. Hell the second in command under Saddam was a Iraqi Christian.
Why do you believe that? Were the Japanese in America also better off as captives of Roosevelt than living in their own homes?

Why do you believe that? Were the Japanese in America also better off as captives of Roosevelt than living in their own homes?
Because about nine out of 10 people from Iraq, I have spoken to talked about the glory days of the country back in the 1980s.

I’m a proud American and I fully support FDR and the US government of the World War II era. The Japanese were some of the most ferocious fighters to ever live and they had spies all around the world and it was only on the West Coast The Japanese Americans were interned. German and Italians were also interned.

Those are two totally different topics by the way., I’m certain that you would agree.

Because about nine out of 10 people from Iraq, I have spoken to talked about the glory days of the country back in the 1980s.

I’m a proud American and I fully support FDR and the US government of the World War II era. The Japanese were some of the most ferocious fighters to ever live and they had spies all around the world and it was only on the West Coast The Japanese Americans were interned. German and Italians were also interned.

Those are two totally different topics by the way., I’m certain that you would agree.
I agree. I was talking about Baghdad Bob and you changed to praising Saddam Hussein.

Forum List

Back