What gives the State the right to ban guns in church?

The excuse is the same or similar one to why guns are banned on school Grounds. Because a large group congregates and there are children present. The difference is that Public Schools are Government property and Churches are not. The Government CAN regulate Government property.

A number of Southern states also ban snake handling in churches:

...Many state legislatures have long maintained that religious freedom does not extend to picking up venomous snakes.

In the decade between 1940 and 1950 six Southern states - Kentucky in 1940, Georgia in 1941, Tennessee in 1947, Virginia in 1947, North Carolina in 1949, and Alabama in 1950 - banned the practice of snake handling. In each instance, state lawmakers based their legislation on the premise that the First Amendment right to the free practice of religion was superseded by the potential danger to non-participants.

In Alabama and Georgia the practice was ruled to be a felony while the other four states deemed it a misdemeanor. The logic for a felony charge was that if someone violated the law and a death occurred, capital punishment was a reasonable sentence. However, Alabama and Georgia later repealed their laws....

Snakebite kills preacher: Should snake handlers be subject to prosecution?

So ... what was that about not wanting separation of church and state? (the few I am speaking of know)

As for the law, I think this is just more of those "nanny" freaks trying to protect everyone from the good people. It's stupid, gun bans are bad enough when they don't infringe on religions.

But if a church is a private place which allows people on its premises, don't they get the right to decide if anyone will or will not be permitted to enter the premises carrying a weapon?

I'm sure there's a nice, simple answer to this question.

Do Christians feel that firearms are appropriate in a House of God where men come to stand side by side and worship together? Should it not be a place that the love of God would give them protection and guns would be unnecessary?

But if a church is a private place which allows people on its premises, don't they get the right to decide if anyone will or will not be permitted to enter the premises carrying a weapon?

Correct but the government can make it impossible to transport a weapon anywhere thereby effectively banning guns everywhere

Last edited:
Do Christians feel that firearms are appropriate in a House of God where men come to stand side by side and worship together? Should it not be a place that the love of God would give them protection and guns would be unnecessary?

This is Satan's world not Gods yet, God can not and will not intervene in man's affairs or Satan's. There is no special protection by being in a structure built to worship God. It can give you solice and peace but other men can break that if they wish.

They are constitutionally protected to worship as they please. If they choose to do it carrying Smith and Wesson, so be it.

Last edited:

Correct but the government can make it impossible to transport a weapon anywhere thereby effectively banning guns anywhere

No they can not. They can ban carrying a CONCEALED weapon but they can not legally ban the carrying in some fashion of your weapons. The Second states you have a right to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. That means carry them outside your home, that means the right to buy them and transport them to your home. With all rights there are reasonable limits that the Government can impose.

OK, Now what we need to do al la L Ron Hubbard is to invent a religion where firearms are a necessary part of worship. Problem solved.

OK, Now what we need to do al la L Ron Hubbard is to invent a religion where firearms are a necessary part of worship. Problem solved.

no need. What authority does the government have to determine what can be brought into a church if it is legal outside of the church ?

They constitutionally protected to worship as they please. If they choose to do it carrying Smith and Wesson, so be it.

You know a lot of churches whose parishoners need to wave guns around and yell "yippe ai oh kayaaaa" as part of their worship?

didn't think so.

on the other hand, i suppose if churches no longer wanted to rely on CIVIL police to protect them....

They constitutionally protected to worship as they please. If they choose to do it carrying Smith and Wesson, so be it.

You know a lot of churches whose parishoners need to wave guns around and yell "yippe ai oh kayaaaa" as part of their worship?

didn't think so.

on the other hand, i suppose if churches no longer wanted to rely on CIVIL police to protect them....

see above

no need. What authority does the government have to determine what can be brought into a church if it is legal outside of the church ?

Just a contingency plan for when the moonbats finally succeed in dismantling the second amendment.

Just a contingency plan for when the moonbats finally succeed in dismantling the second amendment.

gotcha---however moonbats may dismantle religious freedom first.

didn't think so.

see above

ya... very pithy. saw it the first time around. now how about addressing my question, eh?

didn't think so.

There are those who could justify carrying an assault rifle with them everywhere they go. And I mean everywhere.

Forum List

Back