What gives the State the right to ban guns in church?

They constitutionally protected to worship as they please. If they choose to do it carrying Smith and Wesson, so be it.

You know a lot of churches whose parishoners need to wave guns around and yell "yippe ai oh kayaaaa" as part of their worship?

didn't think so.

on the other hand, i suppose if churches no longer wanted to rely on CIVIL police to protect them....

There are those who could justify carrying an assault rifle with them everywhere they go. And I mean everywhere.

There are and they may be right however I think the topic is about the government's right to regulate what happens in a house of worship.

But if a church is a private place which allows people on its premises, don't they get the right to decide if anyone will or will not be permitted to enter the premises carrying a weapon?

I'm sure there's a nice, simple answer to this question.

Correct but the government can make it impossible to transport a weapon anywhere thereby effectively banning guns everywhere

Ah, hadn't thought of that - I'm not a cunning legislator :D

Thanks Skull.

There are those who could justify carrying an assault rifle with them everywhere they go. And I mean everywhere.

There are and they may be right however I think the topic is about the government's right to regulate what happens in a house of worship.

There are, and that is why the government tries to control when, where, and who can carry firearms, and that is the point of the topic. There are many laws on the books that cover what can and cannot be done in private places as well as public places.

There are, and that is why the government tries to control when, where, and who can carry firearms, and that is the point of the topic. There are many laws on the books that cover what can and cannot be done in private places as well as public places.

so---what by what authority can the state regulate the presence of handguns in a place of worship ?

so---what by what authority can the state regulate the presence of handguns in a place of worship ?

Hopefully, the government will never stop the Christians from blowing each other away, since that is what seems to be most important to them judging by the posts here. They were killing each other off in Europe before the gun was invented, and relish every improvement that has come along in ways to exterminate their fellow religious zealots. To the Christian mind, that is why God created gun powder (or the necessary components to make it).

A restaurant is a private business, but you cannot bring a gun into one in Oregon. I find the thought of bringing a gun into a place where Christ is venerated to be quite hypocritical.

You know a lot of churches whose parishoners need to wave guns around and yell "yippe ai oh kayaaaa" as part of their worship?

didn't think so.

on the other hand, i suppose if churches no longer wanted to rely on CIVIL police to protect them....

see above

ya... very pithy. saw it the first time around. now how about addressing my question, eh?

What question? The Government should have no say in the carrying of weapons on church property, pretty damn simple. It is a private organization and not run by or owned by the Government.

Simply make a law that says a church may place a sign that says no weapons or no concealed weapons allowed. Anything else is Unconstitutional. And as a Lawyer you damn well know it.

see above

ya... very pithy. saw it the first time around. now how about addressing my question, eh?

What question? The Government should have no say in the carrying of weapons on church property, pretty damn simple. It is a private organization and not run by or owned by the Government.

Simply make a law that says a church may place a sign that says no weapons or no concealed weapons allowed. Anything else is Unconstitutional. And as a Lawyer you damn well know it.

Gee, I think everyone attending football and baseball games in the big sports arenas should be carrying assualt rifles with at least 40 shot magazines, and extra clips.

They constitutionally protected to worship as they please. If they choose to do it carrying Smith and Wesson, so be it.

didn't think so.

As is the case at many venues, the police are not responsible for securing private events. If someone starts shooting up the place, then they will be called in. The problem is that by that time, it is too late. As an example, what would have happened at the church in Colorado Springs, had no one been armed? Instead of two being killed, it would have been many more.

'I prayed and then I shot him': The glamorous church security guard who shot crazed gunman | Mail Online

Hopefully, the government will never stop the Christians from blowing each other away, since that is what seems to be most important to them judging by the posts here. They were killing each other off in Europe before the gun was invented, and relish every improvement that has come along in ways to exterminate their fellow religious zealots. To the Christian mind, that is why God created gun powder (or the necessary components to make it).

Those dastardly Christians, if only they were like all the wonderful non-Christians who never commit any acts of violence, then this world would be a much better place. :cuckoo:

Gee, I think everyone attending football and baseball games in the big sports arenas should be carrying assualt rifles with at least 40 shot magazines, and extra clips.

Any private enterprise has the right to ban weapons on their premises. If the government can ban guns in one private venue, then where does it stop? Next thing we know, govenrment will say they have the right to ban guns in our homes too.

If churches are immune from govt gun laws (as so many seem to be implying) does that mean that the police can tell them to stick it and not respond if there's a problem?

you know, given that y'all don't want government intervention and all.

If churches are immune from govt gun laws (as so many seem to be implying) does that mean that the police can tell them to stick it and not respond if there's a problem?

you know, given that y'all don't want government intervention and all.
I've been wondering about that myself. Also, if states and the federal government allow churches to be tax exempt they are benefiting in a way that would seem to give the government some say so.

Those dastardly Christians, if only they were like all the wonderful non-Christians who never commit any acts of violence, then this world would be a much better place. :cuckoo:

All of you religious folks love killing in the name of your God(s), it is what you do best.

All of you religious folks love killing in the name of your God(s), it is what you do best.

No... it isn't....

and that's just nutty... but feel free to feed their concerns that there are loonies out there who want to end their religion. :cuckoo:

and, to be fair, I'm figuring you don't like mine or anyone else's any better.

Forum List

Back