What Does Santa Claus Have To Do With Christianity?

>> Megadeth was formed in late 1983 when Dave Mustaine (formerly of Metallica) threw a potted plant through the window of David Ellefson's apartment because Ellefson was practicing his bass too loud. << He was fired from that band for drug abuse (even within a rock band) and for being a dick to his bandmates.

Kinda fits what the poster does in here. I say he should keep the avatar. It's instructive.

Like I expect liberals don't have no good taste in music.

tapatalk post
really? your grammar proves that....

You are lucky he capitalized the first word of his sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christianity is already distorted....

Yes, by people bent on power, but the ideas that Yeshuah himself professed are incredible ideas. Not all of them are original, for instance, "love your neighbor as yourself", which comes right out of the V'o'havtah prayer. But the idea of a love that envelops the entire universe, a true caring and willingness to give, those things are not distorted. They are pure and they are beautiful. And I know who Christians who live by these principles. I also know some fellow Jews who live by them as well. Good stuff.
many atheists Buddhists etc too ..thanks

possibly, but my experience with that is limited and I think it would be out of place for me to speak for them.

Is Santa Claus a Christian symbol?

If so, please break it down for me by showing me how.

As it stands, I don't see how a mythical character is a symbol for Christianity.

In fact, I believe it distorts it, certainly if and/or when it's used as symbol for Christianity.

I look forward to your responses.

My personal feeling is that Santa is Bruce Wayne before he had access to trust fund moneys and before he could afford batmobiles, batboats, batplanes...but most importantly, before he could put a style consultant and tailor on the payroll, hence the funky outfit.

My other theory is that he might be Mr. T, Jose Canseco, or maybe even Donald Trump with a mega mondo comb over requiring at least three cases of hair spray.

Do any of the above distort Christianity? I think not.

You distort Christianity.

But the faith is remains true.

Yes, by people bent on power, but the ideas that Yeshuah himself professed are incredible ideas. Not all of them are original, for instance, "love your neighbor as yourself", which comes right out of the V'o'havtah prayer. But the idea of a love that envelops the entire universe, a true caring and willingness to give, those things are not distorted. They are pure and they are beautiful. And I know who Christians who live by these principles. I also know some fellow Jews who live by them as well. Good stuff.
many atheists Buddhists etc too ..thanks

I know a lot of people who "talk" these principles, but don't think I even know one person who actually lives by these principles. Except to do a token show of "goodness" every once in a while to calm their own guilt about being hypocrites.

As detailed here, Santa originated from the Dutch Saint Nicholas. That is the simple and factual answer. Just like anything else that becomes legend, the facts get lost and pop culture takes over. Most people that care to think and reason can understand that the U.S. commercialized Santa Claus and made him into a fictional, gift giving, omnipresent jolly old elf. Christians don't conflate Santa and the birth of Christ - non Christians can't seem understand that.

Is Santa Claus a Christian symbol?

If so, please break it down for me by showing me how.

As it stands, I don't see how a mythical character is a symbol for Christianity.

In fact, I believe it distorts it, certainly if and/or when it's used as symbol for Christianity.

I look forward to your responses.

My personal feeling is that Santa is Bruce Wayne before he had access to trust fund moneys and before he could afford batmobiles, batboats, batplanes...but most importantly, before he could put a style consultant and tailor on the payroll, hence the funky outfit.

My other theory is that he might be Mr. T, Jose Canseco, or maybe even Donald Trump with a mega mondo comb over requiring at least three cases of hair spray.

If the Jew only applies "facts" and "traditions" to religion, he/she has no more "moral authority" or reasoning behind their faith than the Muslim or Hindu and therefore no greater claim to Heaven. Jew's are the chosen not because of their inherent beliefs but because God chose them to demonstrate to the world the difference between being chosen for salvation (Jew) and choosing to be saved by grace (Christian). No good deed goes unpunished and no amount of doctrine, bowing, tradition, church law, prayer, science or Old Testament history will change that simple truth. Why did God test Abraham by telling him to sacrifice his son? This wasn't the law. This wasn't even conceivable. He knew Abraham would follow his command. He did this to show the world that faith is the key, not the law, as demonstrated by Abraham's faith in God. This is the theme of the New Testament is it not? How could it be New if it wasn't a departure from the flawed ritualistic ways of the Old Testament?

If the Jew only applies "facts" and "traditions" to religion, he/she has no more "moral authority" or reasoning behind their faith than the Muslim or Hindu and therefore no greater claim to Heaven. Jew's are the chosen not because of their inherent beliefs but because God chose them to demonstrate to the world the difference between being chosen for salvation (Jew) and choosing to be saved by grace (Christian). No good deed goes unpunished and no amount of doctrine, bowing, tradition, church law, prayer, science or Old Testament history will change that simple truth. Why did God test Abraham by telling him to sacrifice his son? This wasn't the law. This wasn't even conceivable. He knew Abraham would follow his command. He did this to show the world that faith is the key, not the law, as demonstrated by Abraham's faith in God. This is the theme of the New Testament is it not? How could it be New if it wasn't a departure from the flawed ritualistic ways of the Old Testament?

Why would any Jew care about anything having to do with Christmas? In fact is it's none of their business

tapatalk post

Last edited:
The course of centuries has not lessened his popularity. The following places honour him as patron: Greece, Russia, the Kingdom of Naples, Sicily, Lorraine, the Diocese of Liège; many cities in Italy, Germany, Austria, and Belgium; Campen in the Netherlands; Corfu in Greece; Freiburg in Switzerland; and Moscow in Russia. He is patron of mariners, merchants, bakers, travellers, children, etc. His representations in art are as various as his alleged miracles. In Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands, they have the custom of making him the secret purveyor of gifts to children on 6 December, the day on which the Church celebrates his feast; in the United States and some other countries St. Nicholas has become identified with Santa Claus who distributes gifts to children on Christmas eve. His relics are still preserved in the church of San Nicola in Bari; up to the present day an oily substance, known as Manna di S. Nicola, which is highly valued for its medicinal powers, is said to flow from them.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: St. Nicholas of Myra

Why would any Jew care about anything having to do with Christmas? In fact is it's none of their business

tapatalk post

In a certain way, you are right, although the nastiness of your tone makes me wonder if you are a Christian, to be sure. And there are certainly a number of messianic Jews out who believe that when Moshiach (the Messiah) comes, he will be the same person that that the Christian Bible calls "Christ".

Plus, wishing others of other faith a good holiday is a sign of kindness and good-will.

Are you against kindness and good-will?

tapatalk post

In a certain way, you are right, although the nastiness of your tone makes me wonder if you are a Christian, to be sure. And there are certainly a number of messianic Jews out who believe that when Moshiach (the Messiah) comes, he will be the same person that that the Christian Bible calls "Christ".

Plus, wishing others of other faith a good holiday is a sign of kindness and good-will.

There is no nastiness in my post just blunt truth. You don't see me running around giving a flying f*** fart in space how Muslims celebrate Ramadan do you? As long as their not blowing up buildings or beheading soldiers I really don't care. I don't care how Jews celebrate Hanukkah I am NOT a Jew it's none of my business. I do not interfere or try to manipulate how these people celebrate their religious holidays yet somehow secularists like to use Jews and Muslims as a tool to attack Christmas. It makes no sense to me because I am pretty much betting that most Muslims and Jews don't give a f*** about Christmas

tapatalk post

tapatalk post

There is no nastiness in my post just blunt truth. You don't see me running around giving a flying f*** fart in space how Muslims celebrate Ramadan do you? As long as their not blowing up buildings or beheading soldiers I really don't care. I don't care how Jews celebrate Hanukkah I am NOT a Jew it's none of my business. I do not interfere or try to manipulate how these people celebrate their religious holidays yet somehow secularists like to use Jews and Muslims as a tool to attack Christmas. It makes no sense to me because I am pretty much betting that most Muslims and Jews don't give a f*** about Christmas

tapatalk post

Actually, I don't see you doing much of anything, for which I am very thankful.

tapatalk post

Oh I do things like work to feed my family

tapatalk post

tapatalk post

Oh I do things like work to feed my family

tapatalk post

Looky, looky. There we have something in common.

tapatalk post

Assholism is a disease. He can't he'p hisself.

tapatalk post

Assholism is a disease. He can't he'p hisself.

time to change your tampon?

tapatalk post

Forum List

Back