Zone1 Jesus believed in sola scriptura

ninja007

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Living rent free in libs heads
I. The example of Jesus: Quoted scripture, never tradition:
A. Jesus defeated the three temptations of the Devil with, "it is written", not "I say". Mt 4:1-11

1. The Temptation of Jesus: Matthew 4:1-11. Three times Jesus was tempted by the Devil and each time Jesus replied exactly the same three dangerous words that defeated the Devil: "IT IS WRITTEN" Read it for yourself! If any one could have used oral tradition, it was Jesus, yet he chose the only safe and sure way to defeat Satan: Scripture. We just with that the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches held scripture alone in the same high regard!
  2. Traditionalists have simply not comprehended just how devastating it is that Jesus never appealed to his own authority in his 40 days temptation in the wilderness with the Devil.
  3. Three times Jesus was tempted, three times Jesus replied, "It is written".
  4. If oral tradition, or the authority of the church was valid, then Jesus would have at least one time referred to oral tradition, or used himself as the authority, as the Catholics, Orthodox and JW's use the church organization as an authority.

B. Never did Jesus refer to oral tradition to prove or defend truth.

1. Never does Jesus refer to oral traditions in a positive way.
  2. Every time he defends truth he refers to the scriptures.
  3. The only times Jesus referred to Oral traditions, was condemning them: 'But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.' "Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men." He was also saying to them, "You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. "For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death'; but you say, 'If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),' you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that." (Mark 7:7-13)

C. Jesus made over 100 references to scripture. Jesus never relies upon oral traditions but scripture alone. Let's follow the Lord's pattern of relying upon scripture!

1. "Have you not read" Matthew 12:3
  2. "have you not read in the Law" Matthew 12:5
  3. "Did you never read in the Scriptures" Matthew 21:42

D. Jesus expected the scriptures to be understood by the average man, even his enemies:

1. "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?" (Luke 10:26)
  2. Jesus said to them, "Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God? (Mark 12:24)
  3. But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. (Matthew 22:29)
  4. "The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him" There were any oral traditions as to who the messiah was. All were wrong! Some thought he was merely a king, some merely a prophet, some merely a priest! (Matthew 26:24)
  5. "What then is this that is written: 'The stone which the builders rejected, This became the chief corner stone'? (Luke 20:17)
  6. "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me (John 5:39)
  7. "How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way?" (Matthew 26:54)

II. The example of the apostles using Sola Scriptura:
A. Even though the apostles were inspired with genuine oral revelation, they always directed people to the scriptures for the final determination of truth. Oral tradition is worthless without the witness of scripture!

1. And according to Paul's custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures (Acts 17:2)
  2. Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. Therefore many of them believed, along with a number of prominent Greek women and men. (Acts 17:11-12)
  3. "Apollos powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ." (Acts 18:28)

B. Scriptures were read in the churches every Lord's Day:

1. Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching. (1 Timothy 4:13)

III. Powerful Sola Scriptura proof texts:

A. Abide only within scripture to the exclusion of oral tradition:
1 Corinthians 4:6

the rcc catechism is a book of traditions and man made commentary, mostly total opposite of the plain bible meaning/reading.

1. Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other. 1 Corinthians 4:6
  2. Jesus said, "upon this rock I will build My church" and Paul warned: "in building the church, do not exceed scripture!"
  3. Click to View
    Click for detailed outline on 1 Cor 4:6 to prove sola Scriptura!

A. Jesus defeated the three temptations of the Devil with, "it is written", not "I say". Mt 4:1-11

1. The Temptation of Jesus: Matthew 4:1-11. Three times Jesus was tempted by the Devil and each time Jesus replied exactly the same three dangerous words that defeated the Devil: "IT IS WRITTEN" Read it for yourself! If any one could have used oral tradition, it was Jesus, yet he chose the only safe and sure way to defeat Satan: Scripture. We just with that the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches held scripture alone in the same high regard!
  2. Traditionalists have simply not comprehended just how devastating it is that Jesus never appealed to his own authority in his 40 days temptation in the wilderness with the Devil.
  4. If oral tradition, or the authority of the church was valid, then Jesus would have at least one time referred to oral tradition, or used himself as the authority, as the Catholics, Orthodox and JW's use the church organization as an authority.

3. The only times Jesus referred to Oral traditions, was condemning them: 'But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.' "Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men." He was also saying to them, "You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. "For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death'; but you say, 'If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),' you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that." (Mark 7:7-13)

C. Jesus made over 100 references to scripture. Jesus never relies upon oral traditions but scripture alone. Let's follow the Lord's pattern of relying upon scripture!

D. Jesus expected the scriptures to be understood by the average man, even his enemies:

2. Jesus said to them, "Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God? (Mark 12:24)
  3. But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. (Matthew 22:29)
  4. "The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him" There were any oral traditions as to who the messiah was. All were wrong! Some thought he was merely a king, some merely a prophet, some merely a priest! (Matthew 26:24)
  5. "What then is this that is written: 'The stone which the builders rejected, This became the chief corner stone'? (Luke 20:17)
  6. "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me (John 5:39)
  7. "How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way?" (Matthew 26:54)

A. Even though the apostles were inspired with genuine oral revelation, they always directed people to the scriptures for the final determination of truth. Oral tradition is worthless without the witness of scripture!

1. And according to Paul's custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures (Acts 17:2)
  2. Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. Therefore many of them believed, along with a number of prominent Greek women and men. (Acts 17:11-12)
  3. "Apollos powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ." (Acts 18:28)

1. Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching. (1 Timothy 4:13)

the rcc catechism is a book of traditions and man made commentary, mostly total opposite of the plain bible meaning/reading.

1. Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other. 1 Corinthians 4:6
  2. Jesus said, "upon this rock I will build My church" and Paul warned: "in building the church, do not exceed scripture!"
  3. Click to View
And we’ve seen the fruits of that ideology….hence “gay marriage” in Protestant churches.

Can you spell out exactly what the belief of "sola scriptura" is?
Where they claim they believe in the written word of the Bible.

Yet go on to ignore such passages as:
”I will give you the keys to the kingdom of Heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be looses in heaven.”

OP , tell the boys and girls exactly what Sola Scriptura means .
Then run and hide to avoid embarrassment and ridicule .
It is a Cult Christian scam based ion the idea of
Heads we win , and ,
Tails you lose

Middle Ages ignorance at its worst and tacit present day admission that the Cult Church is intellectually barren .

Where they claim they believe in the written word of the Bible.

Yet go on to ignore such passages as:
”I will give you the keys to the kingdom of Heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be looses in heaven.”
The scriptures (in a sola scriptura method) prove that Peter was given the Keys to the Kingdom.....i.e, the church constructed upon the foundation/corner stone that was Jesus Christ (Matthew 16:19). Its clear by the content and context of Matthew 16:17-19) that Jesus used the terms..........Kingdom of God and His Church as synonyms........both meant the same thing.

When Jesus was addressing Peter and how Peter would be given the Keys to the KIngdom/Church of Christ......the Kingdom was always presented as coming in the very near future. Example: The Lord's prayer.........they Kingdom Come.......let it be done on earth as it in heaven (Matthew 6:10)

Jesus asked Peter who he thought Jesus was.....Peter answered; "thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God..." (Matt. 16:16) Jesus then stated that He would build His Church/Kingdom upon that truth Peter just revealed.....Jesus was the Son of God, the Messiah of Prophecy.

Jesus went on to explain how those keys were to be used. Peter's words when he spoke through inspiration of the Holy Ghost, would establish Doctrine as to how and what must be done to enter the Kingdom/Church "...........WHATEVER THOU (PETER) SHALT BIND ON EARTH SHALL BE BOUND IN HEAVEN; AND WHATEVER THOU SHALT LOOSE ON EARTH SHALL BE LOOSED IN HEAVEN." -- Matthew 16:19. This agrees 100 % with Matthew 6:10, "let it be done on earth as it is in Heaven....." Jesus asked His disciples not to tell anyone as of yet that He (Jesus) was the Christ of prophecy (Matthew 16:20). Meaning Peter was to use those keys at the proper time and place........at some point in the near future.

Peter used those Keys on the day of Pentecost while He preached the first gospel sermon explaining that Jesus was now Lord and Christ (Acts 2:36)....... Jesus Christ had constructed/established His kingdom, with His blood sacrifice on the day of Pentecost after the ascension of Jesus Christ into heaven (Acts 1:9-11).........He informed the people how to enter the kingdom/church of Christ. (Acts 2:38) "Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit......." -- Acts 2:38 You use a KEY to open an entrance or lock an entrance to keep out those who are not authorized to enter.

Its clear by scriptural documentation..........anytime the Kingdom of God is mentioned after that Pentecost day, when Peter preached the first gospel sermon in the infant church/kingdom............the words Kingdom of God..........Christ's church, God's church....etc., where always used in the present tense......before that Penecost day..........these words were always written in Future tense. Which proves the Kingdom of God was established at the same time Peter used those Keys to the Kingdom of God...to open the doors of the Kingdom/Church. The Kingdom of God is not written about as coming at some point in the future, its been on earth since the first century.

Last edited:
Jesus "is" the chief cornerstone of the Kingdom/Church of Christ/God.......not Peter. Jesus did not say that Peter was the Rock, Jesus declared that it was Peter's confession the He (Jesus), was the Christ, the Son of God. (Matthew 16:8). If you believe that Peter is the Rock in question, you misread the scriptures and make them contradict other passages of scripture.

"For no other foundation (the purpose of a cornerstone) can anyone lay than that which is laid, WHICH IS JESUS CHRIST." -- 1 Cor. 3:11. "For they drank of that Spiritual Rock that followed them, AND THAT ROCK WAS CHRIST." -- 1 Cor. 10:4.

What are the wages of Sin? Death (Rom. 6:23) In Matthew 16 Jesus declared that His kingdom/church could not be defeated by the gates of HADES (not hell), but Hades, the resting place of the dead, the spiritual realm of the dead where the dead, both righteous and unrighteous await the final Judgement (Luke 16, Rev. 20:13).........the scriptures state that when the day of judgment comes.........Hades/the grave shall give up its dead.

The Apostle explains how Jesus (the son of man) was the first to defeat death and Hades.........and those who follow after Him shall also defeat the grave/death, with eternal life of the Spirit. "Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself (Jesus) likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil." -- Hebrews 2:14

When Matthew 16 is read and comprehended in the original Greek Text the word Jesus used when referring to Peter as a Rock........because his name Peter translates into "Petros".....which literally means "a small stone or a pebble"....not a foundation stone. The word for foundation stone in Greek is "Petra" meaning a massive rock or bed stone....this the the translation used in other scriptures when referring to Jesus as the chief cornerstone. The scriptures declare the church membership as being God's building constructed upon the foundation that is Christ Jesus. -- 1 Cor. 3:9-11

The coming of Jesus the Messiah is foretold in the Old Scriptures that declare the Christ as being a foundation stone ............the bed rock of the kingdom of God.....Petra in Greek (Isa. 28:16).......as quoted from the Septuagint translation of the Old Testament.

Details matter...........or you end up with a "half truth"........a half truth constitutes an entire lie when details are omitted by design.

Last edited:
A good video on the LDS take about "Sola Scriptura"

I pay no attention to a religion that was not created until 19 hundred years after the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ who was made both Lord and Christ in the 1st century (Acts 2:36).....not false prophets such as exists within the ranks of the Latter Day Saints. Jesus Christ authorized His hand picked Apostles to establish doctrine for the church/kingdom of Christ......no one else. (Matthew 16.......what is bound on earth (by the Apostle), will be bound in Heaven).

Jesus stated that after His death and resurrection, He would lead His Apostles into ALL TRUTH (John 16:13). The Holy Spirit of Truth is promised, not to the world (which cannot receive it -- John 14:17 Again, its impossible to add anything to ALL. Details matter. Jesus declared that the Holy Spirit of Truth would repeat what Jesus was speaking from His throne at the right hand of God in Heaven. (John 16:13). Just as Jesus communicated with the Apostle John to write the book of revelation (Rev.1)..........the others books of the N.T. were directed by Jesus Christ Himself though inspiration from the Spirit of Truth. The words of the Apostles are the words of Christ Jesus.

Details such as revealed by the Apostle Paul who lacked in nothing in being a true Apostle of Christ .......as Peter declared that Paul spoke with words of Wisdom delivered by the Spirit of Truth (God). Peter declares the unlearned or unstable twist Paul's words, as they do other scriptures to their own destruction. -- 2 Peter 3:15-16

The Apostle Paul declared the supernatural gifts of the Spirit would soon fail, when that which is perfect comes (the completed Law of Liberty, the Holy Scriptures)........that same Greek Word "Teleios"/Perfect means made whole or complete. Its the same Greek word used by James 2:15. After these gifts of the Spirit fail.......there will remain only 3 gifts of the spirit, Faith, Hope and Charity/Love. (1 Cor. 13)

The faith of Christianity was delivered "ONCE"..........not many times, thousands of years removed from those who established doctrine as inspired by the Spirit of God...the Saints of the 1st century delivered the faith. ONCE -- Jude 3

There is no "Sola Scriptura" possible when the attempt is made to add unto the "perfect law of liberty". The perfect law of liberty existed in the 1st century, therefore its impossible to add content to a law that is described as PERFECT. The "Perfect" in question is translated from the Greek "Teleios": meaning, made whole, complete, finished (James 1:25)

THE PERFECT in the New Testament is self described. The Law of Christ is His word (which will be used to judge everyone on the last day -- John 12:48). The Law of Christ is the truth which makes men free (John 8:32). It is the Perfect Law of Liberty will convert the soul of men (not a law that did not exist until the 19th century) -- James 1:25, Ps. 19:7

The Perfect Law of Liberty exists within the inspired word of God, i.e, the Holy Scriptures. The scriptures are capable/sufficient to perfect the Doctrine that leads men into ALL GOOD WORKS. -- 2 Tim. 3:16-17.

Its impossible for Modern Day Apostles to exist........thus the false doctrine found in the Book of Mormon, because the canon of the N.T. contradicts Mormonism, JWs, Islam....etc., Far Eastern religions, Human secularism

Last edited:

Jesus believed in sola scriptura​

3. Click to View

The Sola Scriptura premise is that all important religious truth is found in the Bible.

Jesus would certainly not have believed this, nor claimed this, because during the time that He was here among us, the Bible did not exist, as a single unified body of text; and much of what is contained now in the Bible was written after Jesus' time among us. Indeed, Jesus Himself taught many things that were not in what scripture existed at the time.

Sola Scriptura depends on a related premise that the canon of scripture is closed that God has revealed all to us that he is going to reveal, and that there will be no more revelation after that point.

Like many of the Protestant, specific doctrines, this one was created in reaction to the practice that the Catholic church had taken of making stuff up that is not found in scripture nor supported thereby, and which is often at odds with what is found in scripture, and promoting that as religious truth. Reaction to one error, by erring in the opposite direction.

Ironically, Sola Scriptura disproves itself. It declares that the Bible contains all religious truth, that any doctrine not found in the Bible is false. But Sola Scriptura is, itself not found nor supported in the Bible, so by its own logic, it declares itself to be a false doctrine. It reduces to the logical equivalent of the Liar Paradox.

The Sola Scriptura premise is that all important religious truth is found in the Bible.

Jesus would certainly not have believed this, nor claimed this, because during the time that He was here among us, the Bible did not exist, as a single unified body of text; and much of what is contained now in the Bible was written after Jesus' time among us. Indeed, Jesus Himself taught many things that were not in what scripture existed at the time.

Sola Scriptura depends on a related premise that the canon of scripture is closed that God has revealed all to us that he is going to reveal, and that there will be no more revelation after that point.

Like many of the Protestant, specific doctrines, this one was created in reaction to the practice that the Catholic church had taken of making stuff up that is not found in scripture nor supported thereby, and which is often at odds with what is found in scripture, and promoting that as religious truth. Reaction to one error, by erring in the opposite direction.

Ironically, Sola Scriptura disproves itself. It declares that the Bible contains all religious truth, that any doctrine not found in the Bible is false. But Sola Scriptura is, itself not found nor supported in the Bible, so by its own logic, it declares itself to be a false doctrine. It reduces to the logical equivalent of the Liar Paradox.
uhhh wrong. it certainly does.
The phrase sola scriptura is from the Latin: sola having the idea of “alone,” “ground,” “base,” and the word scriptura meaning “writings”—referring to the Scriptures. Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16).

Sola scriptura was the rallying cry of the Protestant Reformation. For centuries the Roman Catholic Church had made its traditions superior in authority to the Bible. This resulted in many practices that were in fact contradictory to the Bible. Some examples are prayer to saints and/or Mary, the immaculate conception, transubstantiation, indulgences, and papal authority. Martin Luther, the founder of the Lutheran Church and father of the Protestant Reformation, was publicly rebuking the Catholic Church for its unbiblical teachings. The Catholic Church threatened Martin Luther with excommunication (and death) if he did not recant. Martin Luther’s reply was, “Unless therefore I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture, or by the clearest reasoning, unless I am persuaded by means of the passages I have quoted, and unless they thus render my conscience bound by the Word of God, I cannot and will not retract, for it is unsafe for a Christian to speak against his conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other; may God help me! Amen!”

The primary Catholic argument against sola scriptura is that the Bible does not explicitly teach sola scriptura. Catholics argue that the Bible nowhere states that it is the only authoritative guide for faith and practice. However, this is only true in the shallowest sense. The principle is strongly indicated by verses such as Acts 17:11, which commends the Bereans for testing doctrine—taught by an apostle, no less—to the written Word. Sola scriptura is all-but-explicitly indicated in 1 Corinthians 4:6, where Paul warns not to “go beyond what is written.” Jesus Himself criticized those who allowed traditions to override the explicit commands of God in Mark 7:6–9.

Whether sola scriptura is overtly mentioned in the Bible or not, Catholicism fails to recognize a crucially important issue. We know that the Bible is the Word of God. The Bible declares itself to be God-breathed, inerrant, and authoritative. We also know that God does not change His mind or contradict Himself. So, while the Bible itself may not explicitly argue for sola scriptura, it most definitely does not allow for traditions that contradict its message. Sola scriptura is not as much of an argument against tradition as it is an argument against unbiblical, extra-biblical and/or anti-biblical doctrines. The only way to know for sure what God expects of us is to stay true to what we know He has revealed—the Bible. We can know, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that Scripture is true, authoritative, and reliable. The same cannot be said of tradition.

The Word of God is the ultimate and only infallible authority for the Christian faith. Traditions are valid only when they conform with Scripture. Traditions that contradict the Bible are not of God and are not a valid aspect of the Christian faith. Sola scriptura is the only way to avoid subjectivity and keep personal opinion from taking priority over the teachings of the Bible. The essence of sola scriptura is basing one’s spiritual life on the Bible alone and rejecting any tradition or teaching that is not in full agreement with the Bible. Second Timothy 2:15 declares, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”

Sola scriptura does not nullify the concept of church traditions. Rather, sola scriptura gives us a solid foundation on which to base church traditions. There are many practices, in both Catholic and Protestant churches, that are the result of traditions, not the explicit teaching of Scripture. It is good, and even necessary, for the church to have traditions. Traditions play an important role in clarifying and organizing Christian practice. At the same time, in order for these traditions to be valid, they must not be in disagreement with God’s Word. They must be based on the solid foundation of the teaching of Scripture. The problem with the Roman Catholic Church, and many other churches, is that they base traditions on traditions which are based on traditions which are based on traditions, often with the initial tradition not being in full harmony with the Scriptures. That is why Christians must always go back to sola scriptura, the authoritative Word of God, as the only solid basis for faith and practice.

On a practical matter, a frequent objection to the concept of sola scriptura is the fact that the canon of the Bible was not officially agreed upon for at least 250 years after the church was founded. Further, the Scriptures were not available to the masses for over 1500 years after the church was founded. How, then, were early Christians to use sola scriptura, when they did not even have the full Scriptures? And how were Christians who lived before the invention of the printing press supposed to base their faith and practice on Scripture alone if there was no way for them to have a complete copy of the Scriptures? This issue is further compounded by the very high rates of illiteracy throughout history. How does the concept of sola scriptura handle these issues?

The problem with this argument is that it essentially says that Scripture’s authority is based on its availability. This is not the case. Scripture’s authority is universal; because it is God’s Word, it is His authority. The fact that Scripture was not readily available, or that people could not read it, does not change the fact that Scripture is God’s Word. Further, rather than this being an argument against sola scriptura, it is actually an argument for what the church should have done, instead of what it did. The early church should have made producing copies of the Scriptures a high priority. While it was unrealistic for every Christian to possess a complete copy of the Bible, it was possible that every church could have some, most, or all of the Scriptures available to it. Early church leaders should have made studying the Scriptures their highest priority so they could accurately teach it. Even if the Scriptures could not be made available to the masses, at least church leaders could be well-trained in the Word of God. Instead of building traditions upon traditions and passing them on from generation to generation, the church should have copied the Scriptures and taught the Scriptures (2 Timothy 4:2).

Again, traditions are not the problem. Unbiblical traditions are the problem. The availability of the Scriptures throughout the centuries is not the determining factor. The Scriptures themselves are the determining factor. We now have the Scriptures readily available to us. Through the careful study of God’s Word, it is clear that many church traditions which have developed over the centuries are in fact contradictory to the Word of God. This is where sola scriptura applies. Traditions that are based on, and in agreement with, God’s Word can be maintained. Traditions that are not based on, and/or disagree with, God’s Word must be rejected. Sola scriptura points us back to what God has revealed to us in His Word. Sola scriptura ultimately points us back to the God who always speaks the truth, never contradicts Himself, and always proves Himself to be dependable. What is sola scriptura? | GotQuestions.org

The phrase sola scriptura is from the Latin: sola having the idea of “alone,” “ground,” “base,” and the word scriptura meaning “writings”—referring to the Scriptures. Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness”

Right.

And since the Sola Scriptura principle itself is nowhere stated nor implied anywhere in the Bible, by declaring that the Bible is the only source of such authority, Sola Scriptura refutes itself.

Right.

And since the Sola Scriptura principle itself is nowhere stated nor implied anywhere in the Bible, by declaring that the Bible is the only source of such authority, Sola Scriptura refutes itself.

Per the article ninja linked, this is a lame argument. It's like saying "Since Moby Dick does not say 'This book is about a man's obsession with a whale', the book is not about a man's obsession with a whale". It's laughable.

Per the article ninja linked, this is a lame argument. It's like saying "Since Moby Dick does not say 'This book is about a man's obsession with a whale', the book is not about a man's obsession with a whale". It's laughable.

I do not see any relevance to your attempted comparison.

According to Sola Scriptura, the Bible is the sole source of authority and valid doctrine.

Thus, it claims, any doctrine not found in the Bible is a false doctrine.

Sola Scriptura is, itself, nowhere to be found in the Bible. I am not talking about the words; I am talking about the premise. Nowhere, in the Bible, does it declare that the Bible is the sole source of authority or valid doctrine. Nowhere in the Bible, is this even implied. Therefore, by its own logic, Sola Scriptura declares itself to be false.

It logically reduces to the Liar Paradox—to a statement such as “This statement is a lie.”

I do not see any relevance to your attempted comparison.

According to Sola Scriptura, the Bible is the sole source of authority and valid doctrine.

Thus, it claims, any doctrine not found in the Bible is a false doctrine.

Sola Scriptura is, itself, nowhere to be found in the Bible. I am not talking about the words; I am talking about the premise. Nowhere, in the Bible, does it declare that the Bible is the sole source of authority or valid doctrine. Nowhere in the Bible, is this even implied. Therefore, by its own logic, Sola Scriptura declares itself to be false.

It logically reduces to the Liar Paradox—to a statement such as “This statement is a lie.”

Revelation 22:18, just as ninja posted

Forum List

Back