What does it take for the cops to break into your house and steal your guns?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Hint, it isn't a search warrant, or even probable cause.

Last week a federal appeals court ruled that "exigent circumstances" made it appropriate for Milwaukee police to break into the home of a local gun rights activist without a warrant. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit conceded that the officers may have violated the Fourth Amendment when they forced open a locked container and seized the woman's handgun. But the court concluded that they were protected by qualified immunity because it was reasonable for them to believe their actions were legal. After all, they were only trying to protect her. From herself. The decision shows how a single contested remark during a psychotherapy session can strip a law-abiding citizen of her Fourth and Second amendment rights. It also shows how emergency exceptions to the warrant requirement that usually applies to home searches have been stretched to encompass situations that cannot reasonably be viewed as emergencies.
It all began with a call to police around noon on March 22, 2011. Michelle Bentle, a Milwaukee psychiatrist, reported that a patient, Krysta Sutterfield, had talked about suicide during a session that had just ended. According to Bentle, Sutterfield, who had recently received some bad news, said, "I guess I'll go home and blow my brains out." Sutterfield later contradicted Bentle's account, although it is not hard to imagine someone in distress saying something like that without any serious suicidal intent. In any case, that alleged remark was the basis for all that followed—that and the fact that Sutterfield, who was known to exercise her Second Amendment rights by openly carrying a pistol, "had worn an empty gun holster to her appointment, from which [Bentle] surmised that Sutterfield owned a gun."
Police decided to rescue Sutterfield, but it took a while. At first she wasn't home, although evidently she heard the cops were looking for her, because she phoned Bentle around 2:45 p.m. "stating that she was not in need of assistance and that the doctor should 'call off' the police search for her." Bentle passed that information on to the police, who were undeterred. After the call indicating that Sutterfield was alive and well, two officers filled out a Statement of Emergency Detention by Law Enforcement Officer, the form that Wisconsin law prescribes for situations in which police believe someone is mentally ill and apt to harm himself. That form, which requires no judicial approval, is enough for a psychiatric detention lasting up to four days, which may result in further detention and forcible treatment.

What It Takes for Cops to Break Into Your House, Kidnap You, and Steal Your Guns (Hint: It's Not a Warrant) - Hit & Run : Reason.com

We need a revolution in this country to get back or freedoms.

Molon Labe

Uhhh....

Maybe not.

It depends on who's leading the rebellion.

We could end up with something more horrific than obozo quite easily.

We need an electoral revolution. That way we all keep our guns (even the moonbats who have them), and no one has to be slaughtered en masse.

this is a little bit more grey than you want it to be Windbag. had she not made that comment about blowing her brains out you would have a solid point. The cops would have violated her 4th amendment right.

Then again i can see the otherside and ask, where would this lead? But you have a doctor reporting it and not some person with a grudge..

I think i have to side on the cops overstepping. She wants to blow her head off, thats her issue.

But that being said if there is a state law that says the cops must send her to a psych ward then....I know California has one where if you claim the person is harming themselves, you get three 3 minimum.

A judgment call but sounds like they played it just fine considering. Society does step in in such cases.

Just fine considering what?

Just fine considering they were dealing with a potentially suicidal, or even homicidal, nut with a gun.

she isnt a nut. If you read the piece you would see she just went through something traumatic. We all handle those things differently. The idea she is a nut is wrong.

Just fine considering they were dealing with a potentially suicidal, or even homicidal, nut with a gun.

she isnt a nut. If you read the piece you would see she just went through something traumatic. We all handle those things differently. The idea she is a nut is wrong.
She wore an empty holster to her shrink's office. The results of that and her comment mean you are off on a unpaid vacation with the white-coats for a few days while we figure out just how nuts you actually are.

We need a revolution in this country to get back or freedoms.

Molon Labe

Uhhh....

Maybe not.

It depends on who's leading the rebellion.

We could end up with something more horrific than obozo quite easily.

We need an electoral revolution. That way we all keep our guns (even the moonbats who have them), and no one has to be slaughtered en masse.

Did I say a shooting revolution? Why claim I dais something that I didn't?

Molon Labe

A judgment call but sounds like they played it just fine considering. Society does step in in such cases.

Hmm mmm... looking at my copy of the Constitution. . Nope I don't see where it says a shrink can authorize a search and seizure of anyone. Perhaps you can point it or to me.

Molon Labe

so what...how many other times had she wore it there without a problem?
The doc may of had a legal reason to call the cops. Beyond that this issue is a tad more complicated than good/bad judgment call.

Hmm mmm... looking at my copy of the Constitution. . Nope I don't see where it says a shrink can authorize a search and seizure of anyone. Perhaps you can point it or to me.

Molon Labe

Again you would need to go to the state law and see what that says. If they have a law on the books stating that a doctor must call if patient is in danger than you are going to have trouble arguing 4th.

Hint, the Robert's court has consistently ruled in favor of Law Enforcement over individual rights. You people have been fooled.

Problem is: you failed to understand that once you give government a particular form of power, you cannot control how subsequent administrations are going to use that power.

The link below is an example of how the rightwing Robert's court eroded individual property rights. ("At the time it seemed like a good idea") ... but what if a law enforcement agent exploits this erosion of individual rights to enter a house and search for guns? Don't you get it son? When your side makes the State more powerful, you cannot control how subsequent administrations will use that power. Click here.
Supreme Court rules in favor of police in home searches without objector present - The Washington Post

Or what about this gem (link below). You might think it's meaningless, but this is how your side incrementally strips property rights. They do it slowly but surely, making it easier for the government to enter the homes of individuals. This is what the Soviet Union did, until the state hardly even needed a reason to bust your door down. Why do you people keep electing presidents who nominate Soviet-style justices? Click this.
Justices OK some warrantless searches - USATODAY.com

Please stop putting people like Bush in office. We can't afford more rightwing justices who don't give a shit about property rights and privacy rights. Please turn off FOX News and look at what your side is doing. If you are worried about losing your guns, than stop giving big government law enforcement so much power. This is what happens when you pack the court with rightwing justices. Starting with Reagan, the power of law enforcement has increasingly trumped the rights of the individual. Learn this stuff so you can select better candidates. Research the power Reagan's War on Drugs gave to Federal and State Law enforcement. Use your google son. Yes, the Left capitulated, but only because your side always accuses the Left of being soft on crime. Well guess what? You won. Now we have exactly the big government you wanted, one that can enter your home for almost no reason at all. (Son, do you know where this kind of slippery slope ends?)

(Bush used the "terror" threat to build a surveillance bureaucracy. And your side cheered him on. Now it's easier for the government to watch, detain and jail citizens. What happens if an anti-gun administration inherits the Bush Surveillance State? Get it? This is why your side has to stop making government bigger.)

Last edited:

Molon Labe

Again you would need to go to the state law and see what that says. If they have a law on the books stating that a doctor must call if patient is in danger than you are going to have trouble arguing 4th.

Since when does State laws override the Constitution?

Molon Labe

What does it take for the cops to break into your house and steal your guns?
Wrong again, as usual.

The premise of the thread fails as a hasty generalization fallacy, where the merits of the case are specific to this particular incidence, and can in no way be used by a given jurisdiction as ‘justification’ to ‘confiscate’ firearms as a general rule:

[T]he Fourth Circuit has indicated that the community
caretaking exception may justify a warrantless residential
search when, as in Cady, the search is conducted pursuant to
routine procedure and not for purposes of criminal evidence gathering.
… “we have never explicitly held that the community caretaking functions of a
police officer permit the warrantless entry into a home[.]”

Moreover, the incident in no way constitutes a Second Amendment ‘violation’:

The court rejected Sutterfield’s contention that the seizure
of the gun and concealed-carry licenses also constituted a
violation of her Second Amendment rights on the facts of this
case. In the court’s view, neither McDonald v. City of Chicago,
130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), nor Dist. of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S.
570, 128 S. Ct. 2783 (2008), forecloses the possibility that an
individual’s firearm may be seized by the police for certain
purposes.

If the OP had bothered to read and comprehend the actual ruling linked in the blog post, as opposed to the spin and lies found in that blog post, he would have seen the case law in support of the court’s decision, and not needlessly embarrassed himself with this thread.

Perhaps someone can point out where in the Constitution of gives a shrink the right to order the police to detain someone?

Molon Labe

Molon Labe

Since when does State laws override the Constitution?

Molon Labe

since this is not a clear violation of the 4th.

Forum List

Back