What does it mean to "love your country"?

Brian Blackwell

Mar 10, 2018
What is meant by saying you love your country?

Does it mean you love:
-The government?
-The people inhabiting a particular area of land?
-The land itself?
-The culture (language, entertainment, beliefs, etc.)

All things considered, I don't believe there is anyone who would say they love any of these things in total, or to the exclusion of all other examples throughout the world. It seems reasonable to presume that there are things you like about your culture, for instance, and things that you do not like about it. But that could also be said about many other cultures. For instance, most people enjoy some of the food popular in their culture, but not all of them; but they also like some Italian foods, and not all of them. I think this could be said of any aspect of a "country" such that the expression does not seem to mean anything particular at all.

I suspect it may just refer to an emotional state that is connected with a nebulous notion of "the country". Precisely what constitutes the country is difficult to define. What do we really mean? Where does this idea come from? Did it originate within ourselves, or is it just something we picked up from the culture itself?

IMO love of country means that you love the freedoms and life you are allowed to live based on rights protected by the Constitution. The government is just the implementation of the Constitution. Unfortunately as time goes on, the implementation is drifting further from the intention.

Be that as it may, I love the fact that I had the freedom to choose my life, and that it was not decided for me by my family or the government or by rogue forces natural or man-made.

• Banned
IMO love of country means that you love the freedoms and life you are allowed to live based on rights protected by the Constitution. The government is just the implementation of the Constitution. Unfortunately as time goes on, the implementation is drifting further from the intention.

Be that as it may, I love the fact that I had the freedom to choose my life, and that it was not decided for me by my family or the government or by rogue forces natural or man-made.

I think many would agree that, in this country, it means to love freedom. Unfortunately, I would liken this to man spooning Spam out of a can while proclaiming he loves fine dining.

In your statement, “...love the freedoms and life you are allowed to live...”, I noticed your use of the word “allowed”, which I find curious. It would seem to imply that freedom is granted, rather than innate.

Do you believe that the Constitution is what “allows” you to be free? That without it, your rights could not be protected? Or perhaps that without it, you would not have those rights at all?

And is there no violation of rights implicit in this very document you cite as a protection, when it says, “Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes” without any explanation as to the source of this power? A rather bold assertion, is it not? And what if an individual does not accept the claim? Are their rights not violated by the imposition of violence upon their person for asserting his autonomy and inalienable right not to be aggressed upon?

And if all men are created equal, how do we justify this inequality of rights, whereby one group of people called “Congress” shall lay and collect taxes, and make laws which others must obey, while other men have no such rights?

The premise of the up is funny. Why ask a question such as this which is beyond trivial.

What is meant by saying you love your country?

Does it mean you love:
-The government?
-The people inhabiting a particular area of land?
-The land itself?
-The culture (language, entertainment, beliefs, etc.)

All things considered, I don't believe there is anyone who would say they love any of these things in total, or to the exclusion of all other examples throughout the world. It seems reasonable to presume that there are things you like about your culture, for instance, and things that you do not like about it. But that could also be said about many other cultures. For instance, most people enjoy some of the food popular in their culture, but not all of them; but they also like some Italian foods, and not all of them. I think this could be said of any aspect of a "country" such that the expression does not seem to mean anything particular at all.

I suspect it may just refer to an emotional state that is connected with a nebulous notion of "the country". Precisely what constitutes the country is difficult to define. What do we really mean? Where does this idea come from? Did it originate within ourselves, or is it just something we picked up from the culture itself?

Yes, it's an emotional thing that people like to fling at others. "You're not patriotic because you don't think like I do"

So, if you think there's a problem with your country, and you try and change it, you don't love your country?
There is no problem with a free-market society. To FUNDAMENTALLY change to a communist shithole is not what reasonable people would consider "love" but loathing and resentment.

So, if you think there's a problem with your country, and you try and change it, you don't love your country?
There is no problem with a free-market society. To FUNDAMENTALLY change to a communist shithole is not what reasonable people would consider "love" but loathing and resentment.

Wait, you've just moved this discussion about 3 million light years in another direction.

You said it's about not trying to fundamentally change it. Which seems to imply that if you try and IMPROVE the country, it's because you don't love that country.

Then you skip to Communism, as if your comment only concerns Communism.

So, what you now appear to be saying is "You don't love the country if you want the country to be Communist", or, in translation "you're not a patriot if you disagree with me" kind of bullshit.

Which is exactly what I said in my first reply.

Yes, it's an emotional thing that people like to fling at others. "You're not patriotic because you don't think like I do"

Wait, you've just moved this discussion about 3 million light years in another direction.

You said it's about not trying to fundamentally change it. Which seems to imply that if you try and IMPROVE the country, it's because you don't love that country.

So, what you now appear to be saying is "You don't love the country if you want the country to be Communist", or, in translation "you're not a patriot if you disagree with me" kind of bullshit.

You know what Bolshevik Obama meant by "fundamentally change" America. Don't play dumb.

If you need to ask you probably...

A- Don't love your country for whatever reason.
B- Have never been to another one to compare them.

You know what Bolshevik Obama meant by "fundamentally change" America. Don't play dumb.

How do you even get up in the morning with so much nonsense inside your brain?

So, we're talking about a general view of patriotism, and you're so blinded by your partisanship, that all you want to do is talk about Communism and how Obama is a Communist.

Dude, it's fucking boring, I go to work and have to try and avoid talking with my boss about anything, because it'll end up being about Bitcoin every single fucking time, I don't need the same shit outside of work.

How do you even get up in the morning with so much nonsense inside your brain?

So, we're talking about a general view of patriotism, and you're so blinded by your partisanship, that all you want to do is talk about Communism and how Obama is a Communist.

Dude, it's fucking boring, I go to work and have to try and avoid talking with my boss about anything, because it'll end up being about Bitcoin every single fucking time, I don't need the same shit outside of work.
Funny how you haven't realized the greatness of the country you live in and love is the opposite of communism. It's also kinda of odd you don't like conflict at work but choose to come here on your time off for some more. Do you really know what the hell you do think?

I think many would agree that, in this country, it means to love freedom. Unfortunately, I would liken this to man spooning Spam out of a can while proclaiming he loves fine dining.

In your statement, “...love the freedoms and life you are allowed to live...”, I noticed your use of the word “allowed”, which I find curious. It would seem to imply that freedom is granted, rather than innate.

Do you believe that the Constitution is what “allows” you to be free? That without it, your rights could not be protected? Or perhaps that without it, you would not have those rights at all?

And is there no violation of rights implicit in this very document you cite as a protection, when it says, “Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes” without any explanation as to the source of this power? A rather bold assertion, is it not? And what if an individual does not accept the claim? Are their rights not violated by the imposition of violence upon their person for asserting his autonomy and inalienable right not to be aggressed upon?

And if all men are created equal, how do we justify this inequality of rights, whereby one group of people called “Congress” shall lay and collect taxes, and make laws which others must obey, while other men have no such rights?
In the context of a country, freedom is absolutely granted. Look at the last 2000 years of human history and you will not find very many countries in which a person born to any family is granted equal freedom to pursue 'happiness'.

The premise of the up is funny. Why ask a question such as this which is beyond trivial.

It questions the validity of the nationalistic position, which is important to consider, since much is rooted in this bias. For instance, if a foreign government was marching down our streets and blowing up our homes under the guise of helping us, or defending freedom, we would be outraged. However this very same action, when performed by our own government in foreign lands, is deemed acceptable by many because they see "us" as the "good guys", largely because of this dubious notion of "country". People are outraged by 9/11, but justify Hiroshima all day long. Why are we less outraged when our government does something than when any other country does it?

What is a "country"? I don't know that many flag-wavers have ever asked this question, no less arrived at a satisfying answer. What makes this side of an arbitrary border any different than the other side? What makes our people fundamentally different than any other people? The "country" is really nothing more than the territory of one particular ruling class - one which nearly everyone is at least partially unsatisfied with. This hardly seems something to "love". And to say you love this country usually implies that you love it more than other countries; and this is certainly true in practice, as mentioned above. But do you really love all 300 million people on this particular patch of land more than all the people in other countries? By looking at these forums, I'd say that there are many in this country that you don't love, and could probably find many in other countries that you would love more. So is this bias justified? What is its logical basis?

If it's not the government, it's not the people, and the land itself is not essentially different than anywhere else, then what is it exactly that you love when you say you love your country? I don't think these questions are trivial at all, as they have significant ramifications, particularly in matters of foreign policy.

Funny how you haven't realized the greatness of the country you live in and love is the opposite of communism. It's also kinda of odd you don't like conflict at work but choose to come here on your time off for some more. Do you really know what the hell you do think?

What is a country? What is the "greatness" of this one?

Not rocket science; simply means the American people as a group and the individual freedom we have developed and demanded here.

Forum List

Back