What do you guys (and gals) think about seatbelt laws?

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
I drive a big rig for a living and so I deal with the DOT and traffic laws more than most.

I have no issues with speed limits (but a lot of problems with speed TRAPS) and no issues with other general traffic laws. But I have an issue with the gov't telling me I HAVE to put on my seat belt. What if I have an injury that makes wearing a seat belt painful?

Wearing a seat belt ONLY protects the occupant of the vehicle, who should have their right to not wear one. Same with helmet laws. If I have adequate medical coverage, why should I be forced to wear a seat belt? They say that the car is an extension of the home. They can't make me wear a seat belt in my house to take a crap, so why force me to wear one to drive?

I always wear one BY MY OWN CHOICE. The problem I have is the gov't forcing me to wear it.

If you have passengers in your vehicle your unrestrained body can become a projectile injuring the other passengers. Also restraints serve to keep the operators body at the controls.

I drive a big rig for a living and so I deal with the DOT and traffic laws more than most.

I have no issues with speed limits (but a lot of problems with speed TRAPS) and no issues with other general traffic laws. But I have an issue with the gov't telling me I HAVE to put on my seat belt. What if I have an injury that makes wearing a seat belt painful?

Wearing a seat belt ONLY protects the occupant of the vehicle, who should have their right to not wear one. Same with helmet laws. If I have adequate medical coverage, why should I be forced to wear a seat belt? They say that the car is an extension of the home. They can't make me wear a seat belt in my house to take a crap, so why force me to wear one to drive?

I always wear one BY MY OWN CHOICE. The problem I have is the gov't forcing me to wear it.
Strap that car on. Simple. Anyone who doesn't know that it's the safe thing to do is an idiot.

Strap that car on. Simple. Anyone who doesn't know that it's the safe thing to do is an idiot.

Well the safest thing to do is not drive. Its certainly not SAFE to drive 75mph. If they wanted safe, every road would have a speed limit of 25mph or less.

But seat belts ONLY effect the driver of the vehicle. I have a right to do things that aren't safe. So why not this? I don't mean drive in an unsafe manner, I only mean not wearing a seat belt.

I find them silly; however, I don’t know how people drive/ride without one on? I feel positively naked without mine.

If you have passengers in your vehicle your unrestrained body can become a projectile injuring the other passengers. Also restraints serve to keep the operators body at the controls.

What if you don't have any occupants in your vehicle? What if it's only you? Why does it matter keeping you at the controls? If you're in an accident you're along for the ride anyway. You think you have any control of a vehicle after an airbag smashes you in the face?

Keeps the insurance costs down and protects your family.

What if you don't have any occupants in your vehicle? What if it's only you? Why does it matter keeping you at the controls? If you're in an accident you're along for the ride anyway. You think you have any control of a vehicle after an airbag smashes you in the face?
Well theoretically you could still steer clear of pedestrians and other bystanders. You can’t do that from the back seat.

How does it protect my family? If I'm alone in the vehicle. I drive by myself in my rig. I'm not even allowed by DOT regs to have unauthorized passengers.

Seat belts were never designed to "keep you at the controls." They were designed to keep you from hitting the steering wheel. But now that we have airbags that issue has been all but eliminated.

How does it protect my family? If I'm alone in the vehicle. I drive by myself in my rig. I'm not even allowed by DOT regs to have unauthorized passengers.
You are more likely to still be there to provide for them.

I had a Henn Co Sheriff going the opposite direction on HWY 55 baja thru a steep ditch at speed to give me a seat belt ticket…..an unsafe maneuver if ever there was one. Got some spiel that he was saving my life cause they just had a trucker die in their city, problem is stats for trucker deaths belted and unbelted are the same according to a safety poster a former employer put up. He hadn't noticed this til pointed it out to him.

I agree, I do not believe the government should be telling anyone they have to wear a seat belt, state or federal. That being said, I also think it is incredibly stupid that someone would not take 20 seconds and fasten their seat belt, an act that could potentially save their life.

In the same vein...

I do not believe the government should be telling anyone they have to wear a helmet when the ride a motorcycle, state or federal. That being said, I think it is incredibly stupid that someone would not take 30 seconds and put on a helmet, an act that could potentially save their life.

I also believe that, if a state has mandatory seat belt laws, and they all do, they should also should have mandatory helmet laws, not all of them do.

There's some good real estate for sale in Lebanon, NH I-89 @ the VT/NH border, lol. U'd be be good to go on both accounts... Live Free or Die!

i watched a 20 something girl burn up because of a seat belt restraining her while she freaked out. I didn't have a knife on me. I've had one on me ever since. I've told this story 3 times in 3 countries over the last 40 years. The judge( and prosecutor) cancelled the charges all 3 times.I dont wear a seat belt. It might get me some day. So be it.

Forum List

Back