what are we reading?

amity1844

Jun 1, 2014
I am currently reading Edward Said's memoir Out of Place, which I am enjoying very much because it is entirely unexpected for me. It is a very personal story, too much R-rated info in some places, but if you can handle that then it is a warm and fascinating account of an upper class Palestinian boy 13 years old in 1948, totally unlike anything else Said ever wrote. This was his swan song, written after he had a diagnosis of a terminal illness. I bought it for a few pennies and a $3.99 shipping charge from Amazon, so it is easily accessible to anyone. You'll laugh, you'll cry. Edward Said has been acclaimed as "one of the top intellects of the 20th century. "

I'm going to post my bibliography of core books in English addressing Palestinian issues. Many of course are written by anti-Zionist Jews and Israelis, and some I am not sure what perspective they are written from, they have just been recommended as good books, and others are straightforward pro-Zionist policy analysis. (NOT that I have read ALL of these, but I intend to..) and I would love it if you would tell me what you are reading, too.

Abu Iyad with Eric Rouleau - My Home, My Land: A Narrative of the Palestinian Struggle, 1981.

Abu Lughod, Ibrahim - Palestinian Rights: Affirmation and Denial, 1982.
- The Transformation of Palestine: Essays on the Origin and Development of the Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1971.

Aburish, Said K. - Children of Bethany, The Story of a Palestinian Family, 1999.

Akef Najjar, Orayb, and Kitty Warnock - Portraits of Palestinian Women, 1992.

Arendt, Hannah - Zionism Reconsidered, 1944
"Only folly could dictate a policy which trusts a distant imperial power for protection, while alienating the goodwill of neighbours... If the Jewish commonwealth is obtained in the near future… it will be due to the political assistance of American Jews... But if the Jewish commonwealth is proclaimed against the will of the Arabs and without the support of the Mediterranean peoples, not only financial help but political support will be necessary for a long time to come. And that may turn out to be very troublesome indeed for Jews in this country, who after all have no power to direct the political destinies of the Near East." Hannah Arendt

Aronson, Geoffrey - Creating Facts: Israel, Palestinians and the West Bank, Institute for Palestine Studies, 1987.

Aruri , Naseer (ed.) - Israel's Policy on the West Bank's Water Resources, New York, United Nations, 1980.
- Occupation: Israel Over Palestine, Belmont, MA, Association of Arab-American University Students, Inc, 1989.
- Palestinian Refugees: The Right of Return, 2001

Ashrawi, Hanan - This Side of Peace, NYC, Simon and Schuster, 1995.

Ateek, Naim - Justice and Only Justice: A Palestinian Theology of Liberation, 1989.

Atzmon, Gilad - the Wandering Who?, 2011.

Baker William W. - Theft of a Nation, Defenders, 1982, ISBN: 0910643008.

Beit-Hallahmi, Benjamin - The Israeli Connection: Who Israel Arms and Why, 1987.

Bendt, Ingala and James Downing - We Shall Return--Women of Palestine, London, Zed/Lawrence Hill, 1980.

Benvenisti, Meron - The West Bank Data Project, I987 Report: Demographic, Economic, Legal, Social and Political Developments in the West Bank, Jerusalem, The Jerusalem Post, 1987.

Benvenisti, Meron - The West Bank Data Project: A Survey of Israel's Policies, Washington, The American Enterprise Institute, 1984.

Berger, Elmer - The Jewish Dilemma, 1945. (Berger went on to found American Jewish Alternatives to Zionism (AJAZ)).

Bishara, Marwan - Palestine/Israel: Peace or Apartheid: Prospects for Resolving the Conflict, 2001, ISBN: 1842771116

Bookbinder, Hyman and James G. Abourzek - Through Different Eyes: Two Leading Americans, A Jew and an Arab, Debate U.S. Policy in the Middle East, 1987.

Brand, Laurie - Palestinians in the Arab World: Institution Building and the Search for State, New York, Columbia University Press, 1988.

Brookings Institution - Toward Peace in the Middle East: Report of a Study Group, 1975.

Brynen, Rex - Sanctuary and Survival: The PLO in Lebanon, 1990.

Buber, Martin - Israel and Palestine : The History of an Idea, 1952.
- On Zion: The History of an Idea (Martin Buber Library), 1997.

Carey, Roane (ed.) - The New Intifada: Resisting Israel's Apartheid, 2001, ISBN: 1859843778

Cheshin, Amir S. and Bill Hutman - Separate and Unequal: The Inside Story of Israeli Rule in East, Jerusalem, Harvard Univ Press, 2000, ISBN: 0674801369

Chomsky, Noam - The Fateful Triangle, 1983.
- Peace in the Middle East? Reflections on Justice and Nationhood, 1974.

Christison, Kathleen - Perceptions of Palestine: Their Influence on U.S. Middle East Policy, Berkeley, CA, University of California Press, 2001, ISBN: 0-520-217187

Clinton, Cathryn - A Stone in My Hand, Candlewick Press, 2002, ISBN: 0-763613886, Buy/Reviews.

Cockburn, Andrew and Leslie - Dangerous Liaison: The Inside Story of the U.S. Israeli Covert Relationship, NYC, Harper Collins Publishers, 1991.

Drobles, Matityahu - Strategy, Policy and Plans for Settlement in Judea and Samaria, Jerusalem, World Zionist Organization, 1980.

Farsoun, Samih K. and Zacharia, Christina - Palestine and the Palestinians, Denver, Westview Press, 1998.

Findley, Paul - Deliberate Deceptions: Facing the Facts about the US- Israeli Relationship, NYC, Lawrence Hill Books, 1993.

Giladi, Naeim - Ben Gurion's Scandals: How the Haganah and the Mossad Eliminated Jews, 1980

Gilmour, David - The Dispossessed: The Ordeal of the Palestinians 1917-1980, Sidgwick and Jackson, 1980

Gorkin, Michael - Days of honey, days of onion : The story of a Palestinian family in Israel, Beacon Press, 1991.

Gorkin, Michael and Rafiqa Othman - Three Mothers, Three Daughters: Palesinian Women's Stories, Berkeley, CA, University of California Press, 1996.

Hadawi, Sami - Bitter Harvest: Palestine 1914-1967, New York, The New World Press, 1967.

Halabi, Rafik - The West Bank Story, New York, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1981.

Hamzeh, Muna - Refugees in Our Own Land : Chronicles from a Palestinian Refugee Camp in Bethlehem, Pluto, 2001, ISBN: 0745316522,

Harris, William W. - Taking Root: Israeli Settlement in the West Bank, the Golan, and Gaza-Sinai, 1967-1980, New York, John Wiley, 1980

Hart, Alan - Zionism: The Real enemy of the Jews, 2010.

Hiltermann, Joost - Behind the Intifada: Labor and Womens Movement in the Occupied Territories, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1991.

Holf, Maria - Half the People: Women, History and the Palestinian Intifada, Jerusalem, Passia, 1990.

Hurwitz, Deena (ed.) - Walking the Red Line: Israelis in Search of Justice for Palestine, New Society Publishers, 1992.

Kamen, Charles S. - Little Common Ground: Arab Agriculture and Jewish Settlement in Palestine, 1920-1948, Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh Press, 1991.

Kanaaneh, Rhoda Ann - Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Israel, Berkeley, CA, University of California Press, 2002, ISBN: 0-520-22944-4

Kanafani, Ghassan - Men in the Sun and Other Palestinian Stories, Three Continents, 1998, ISBN: 0-894108573, Buy/Reviews.
- Palestine's Children: Returning to Haifa & Other Stories, Lynne Rienner, 2000, ISBN: 0-8941-0865-4

Kawar, Amal - Daughters of Palestine: Leading Women and the Palestinian National Movement, Albany, NY, State University of New York Press, 1996.

Khaled, Leila - My People Shall Live: The Autobiography of a Revolutionary, London, Hodder and Stoughton, 1973.

Khalidi, Rashid - Palestinian Identity: The Construction of Modern National Consciousness, NYC, Columbia Univ. Press, 1997.
Under Siege: PLO Decision-making During the 1982 War, New York, Columbia University Press, 1986.

Khalidi, Walid - All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948, The Institute for Palestine Studies, 1992.
- Before their Diaspora, 1991.
- Conflict and Violence in Lebanon, Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1979.
- From Haven to Conquest, Beirut, Institute for Palestine Studies, 1971.
- From Haven to Conquest: Readings in Zionism and the Palestine Problem until 1948, The Institute for Palestine Studies, 1971.
- Palestine Reborn, London, I. B. Tauris and Co, 1992.

Khoury,Ran - Palestinian Women and the Intifada, Bethlehem, International Centre of Bethlehem, 1995.

Kimmerling, Baruch - Politicide: Ariel Sharon's War Against the Palestinians, NYC, Verso Books, 2003, ISBN: 1859845177

Kimmerling, Baruch and Migdal, Joel S. - Palestinians: The Making of a People, Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1993.
- The Palestinian People: A History, Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press, 2003, ISBN: 0-674011295,

Kolsky, Thomas A. - Jews Against Zionism, 1990.

Langer, Felicia - With My Own Eyes, Ithaca Press, 1975.

Lilienthal, Alfred - What Price Israel?

Masalha, Nur - Expulsion of the Palestinians : The Concept of 'Transfer' in Zionist Political Thought, 1882-1948, Institure for Palestine Studies, 1992.

Menuhin, Moshe - The Decadence of Judaism in Our Time, 1965.

Neumann, Michael - The Case Against Israel, 2005.

Orr, Aki - The Other Israel: the Radical Case against Zionism, 1972.

Pappe, Ilan - The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine, 2006.
The Making of the Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1947-1951, London, I B Tauris and Co Ltd, 1992.

Pappe, Ilan (ed.) - Israel/Palestine Question: Rewriting Histories, London, Routledge, 1999.

Rabkin, A Threat from Within: A Century of Jewish opposition to Zionism, 2006.

Rokach, Livia - Israel's Sacred Terrorism: A Study based on Moshe Sharett's Personal Diary and Other Document, Belmont, MA, Association of Arab-American University Graduates, 1986.

Sabbagh, S. (ed.) - Palestinian Women of Gaza and the West Bank, Bloomington, Indiana University Press, 1998.

Sabbagh, Suha and Ghada Talhami - Images and Reality: Palestinian Women Under Occupation and in the Diaspora, DC, The Institute for Arab Women's Studies, 1990.

Said, Edward - The Question of Palestine, 1979.
- After the Last Sky, NYC, Faber and Faber, 1986.
- Out of Place: A Memoir, 2000.
- Peace and its Discontents, Fenteg Books, 1995.
- The End of the Peace Process: Oslo and After, NYC, Knopf, 2001, ISBN: 0375725741.
- The Politics of Dispossession, NYC, Random House, 1994.

Said, Edward and Christopher Hitchens (ed.) - Blaming the Victims: Spurious Scholarship and the Palestinian Question, Verso, 1988.

Sand, Shlomo - The Invention of the Jewish People, 2008.

Sayigh, Rosemary - Palestinians: From Peasants to Revolutionaries, Zed Press, 1979.
- Too Many Enemies: The Palestinian Experience in Lebanon, London, Zed, 1994.

Sayigh, Yezid - Armed Struggle and the Search for State : The Palestinian National Movement 1949-1993, Oxford, Oxford Univ Press, 1999.

Shahak, Israel - Jewish History, Jewish Religion: The Weight of Three Thousand Years, 1994.

Shammout, Ismail - Palestine: Illustrated Political History, Beirut, Palestine Liberation Organization, 1972.

Shehadeh, Raja - Samed: A Journal of a West Bank Palestinian, NYC, Adama Books, 1984.
- The Sealed Room, London, Quartet, 1992.

Shehadeh, Raja and Lewis Anthony - Strangers in the House: Coming of Age in Occupied Palestine, Steerforth, 2002, ISBN: 1586420321, Buy/Reviews.

Shohbat, Ella - Sephardim in Israel: Zionism from the Standpoint of Its Jewish Victims, 1988.

Tawil, Raymonda Hawa - My Home, My Prison, NYC, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1979.

Last edited:
Isn't that nice of Amity to give us the names of books. Of course, the list includes the Leftist Jews who would roll over and let the Muslims take over Israel. Meanwhile, since Amity has given us a list, how about we also read the books of Menashe Harel. He is an award winning historian who taught at Hebrew University and has walked over every inch of the land of Israel. By now he is retired and hopefully having a well-deserved rest. I am sure he would be able to dispute whatever Amity authors are saying.

Amazon.com: Menashe Harel: Books

I am sure he would be able to dispute whatever Amity authors are saying.

Well, don't be too sure until you've read the books! They are all different. But I am very glad to have the reference and I will look his books up. That is the exact type of answer I am hoping for, so thank you!

Isn't that nice of Amity to give us the names of books. Of course, the list includes the Leftist Jews who would roll over and let the Muslims take over Israel. Meanwhile, since Amity has given us a list, how about we also read the books of Menashe Harel. He is an award winning historian who taught at Hebrew University and has walked over every inch of the land of Israel. By now he is retired and hopefully having a well-deserved rest. I am sure he would be able to dispute whatever Amity authors are saying.

Just roll with it, for crying out loud.

But, Amity, there are so many other Israeli auhors that the list would go on and on. Many of us have other things to do plus also have favorite authors such as mystery or detective stories to read. We do not have the job of spreading Arab and Leftist propaganda as you do so are not one-trick ponies like you.

But, Amity, there are so many other Israeli auhors that the list would go on and on. Many of us have other things to do plus also have favorite authors such as mystery or detective stories to read. We do not have the job of spreading Arab and Leftist propaganda as you do so are not one-trick ponies like you.
So what are you reading on the subject of Israel/Palestine? Of course I'm not talking about detective stories!

But, Amity, there is plenty of articles to read on the Internet, but naturally they wouldn't be your favorite authors. Do we really have to read any books on the conflicts since we are not tied up directly like you are with some propaganda group that we feel we have to list book after book after book like you have? Don't you think that we like to sit down and just read for pleasure books of fiction? However, since you are tightly tied into this Palestinian thing, trying to convince people that they should all be allowed to come back because as we all know if they all marched in they would actually be taking the land for Islam and would overrun the Jews, you don't have time to just relax and read other things.

You are totally incoherent, poor thing. What on earth were you TRYING to say?

If you have any good articles on the internet, bring them on. But I want the authors to at least be literate and sane. That is what is seemingly in short supply with some of the sources that have been provided by some posters.

Last edited:
Try the Bible, Prophets, Writings.
Arabs always make for lovely neighbors.

The Bible has been proven to be essentially a bunch of myths. Sorry Yahweh, a gay deity adopted by some Saudi Arabians who referred to themselves as Israelites never existed and Jesus, a jewish qu33r who promised to overturn Rome, probably never existed either.

I thought fences made lovely neighbors.

Please don't bother trying to think you neocon putz.

Gilad Atzmon has an excellent grasp of the issues zionism causes globally and for dummies that consider themselves "jews."

Last edited:
Folks - IP is Zone 2. This means that posts must include content relevant to the topic under discussion. Pedophilia is not part of the topic. Let's get back on track with books.

But, Amity, there is plenty of articles to read on the Internet, but naturally they wouldn't be your favorite authors. Do we really have to read any books on the conflicts since we are not tied up directly like you are with some propaganda group that we feel we have to list book after book after book like you have? Don't you think that we like to sit down and just read for pleasure books of fiction? However, since you are tightly tied into this Palestinian thing, trying to convince people that they should all be allowed to come back because as we all know if they all marched in they would actually be taking the land for Islam and would overrun the Jews, you don't have time to just relax and read other things.

You are totally incoherent, poor thing. What on earth were you TRYING to say?

If you have any good articles on the internet, bring them on. But I want the authors to at least be literate and sane. That is what is seemingly in short supply with some of the sources that have been provided by some posters.

I am trying to say that others are not like you. They enjoy reading other things in life than books written by Arabs and Leftist Jews -- books that you feel support your cause. Who in the world would ever think of putting such a long list of books on a forum except a person such as you. People can do a search of their own if they wanted to read such books.

Because I am hoping that anyone who posts on the subject would also want to READ on the subject.

I am seriously asking for references for the opposite point of view. I want to know what thoughtful pro-Zionists consider to be good books. If you have a working bibliography to post I would LOVE to see it, please, and even better if it is long. I was very sincere in posting this question, it is not a trick question ... WHAT ARE YOU READING?

Because I am hoping that anyone who posts on the subject would also want to READ on the subject.

I am seriously asking for references for the opposite point of view. I want to know what thoughtful pro-Zionists consider to be good books. If you have a working bibliography to post I would LOVE to see it, please, and even better if it is long. I was very sincere in posting this question, it is not a trick question ... WHAT ARE YOU READING?

I will repeat. If anyone wants to read on the subject, no doubt they are quite capable of finding books on their own. They do not need a long, long list like yours. I am trying to once again read all the classics. I specifically like the Russian authors. I don't have to read from your list as I can enjoy myself reading other things, and I am sure most of the viewers will just ignore your list and go on with their lives reading what they enjoy to read.

But what are you reading on Israel/Palestine?
Anything at all? I notice you seem chronically short of sources, and I guess we now know why....

But what are you reading on Israel/Palestine?
Anything at all? I notice you seem chronically short of sources, and I guess we now know why....

Why do I actually have to read a book on the conflict? There are so many articles on the Internet to choose from. I am not like you, listing a huge amount of books. I feel people can find whatever books they feel like reading by doing their own research. Now I will leave you, Amity, to ride your horse all day waving the Palestinian banner, while I enjoy lunch and shopping with my daughter. See, Amity, a normal life and not one consumed about one thing only like you are.

Forum List

Back