What about cow's milk makes us nasally congested?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Much as I love cow's milk, I notice right away how congested I then get. Could look it up of course, but a thread's more fun. :)

I don't drink milk and still get congested...but maybe you should drink it through your mouth and not snort it....

Here's one study on the matter, which states a certain protein in milk can increase mucus production.

Does milk increase mucus production? [Med Hypotheses. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

And since we're talking about milk ...

Lactose intolerance in adults was the default state for humanity, and it took some beneficial mutations to change that for some. The majority of people in the world are lactose intolerant as adults. Europeans and those descended from them are the big exceptions. Dairy farming was important for survival in colder Europe, making lactose tolerance a positive survival trait, so evolution selected for it.

Lactase persistence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cow's milk is a mucous producer. My mom always said if you have a cold to stay away from dairy as it just makes things worse. She was right.

My youngest (17) was a HUGE milk drinker, never had a problem with it. Then ... puberty. Her skin just exploded and she started getting eczema too. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out the cause. Went to a dermatologist about a year and a half ago. Mentioned could milk be playing a part in her acne and the doc kind of shrugged it off ... as she was writing an rx for low-dose antibiotic. Yeah.

Did some research. Literally googled 'milk acne'. The hormones in milk --- not any added ones, although they would also contribute to it --- but the high level of hormones that are naturally present in milk wreck havoc with her skin. The less she consumes the clearer and less problematic her skin is and visa versa.

Wish we had known about this a couple of years back.

I have some issues with acid reflux and milk seems to help with it, so I almost always drink three glasses per day. It has to be ice cold though. I do tend to stay away from it if I am sick but I rarely get sick. I did have a cold for three days this year.

I have some issues with acid reflux and milk seems to help with it, so I almost always drink three glasses per day. It has to be ice cold though. I do tend to stay away from it if I am sick but I rarely get sick. I did have a cold for three days this year.

I used to be a big milk drinker then it kind of faded over the past ten years or so. But I always put ice in it to make/keep it realllly cold. lol

Very interesting book about milk:

Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health by Joseph Mckeon

From Amazon:

North Americans are some of the least healthy people on Earth. Despite advanced medical care and one of the highest standards of living in the world, one in three Americans will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime, and 50 percent of US children are overweight.
This crisis in personal health is largely the result of chronically poor dietary and lifestyle choices. In Whitewash, nutritionist Dr. Joseph Keon unveils how North Americans unwittingly sabotage their health every day by drinking milk, and he shows that our obsession with calcium is unwarranted.
Citing scientific literature, Whitewash builds an unassailable case that not only is milk unnecessary for human health, its inclusion in the diet may increase the risk of serious diseases including:

Prostate, breast, and ovarian cancers
Osteoporosis
Diabetes
Vascular disease
Crohn's disease

Many of America's dairy herds contain sick and immunocompromised animals whose tainted milk regularly makes it to market. Cow's milk is also a sink for environmental contaminants and has been found to contain traces of pesticides, dioxins, PCBs, and rocket fuel.

Whitewash offers a completely fresh, candid, and comprehensively documented look behind dairy's deceptively green pastures and gives readers a hopeful picture of life after milk.

Joseph Keon, PhD, has been a wellness consultant and nutrition and fitness expert for over twenty-five years. He is considered a leading authority on public health and has written three books, including Whole Health: The Guide to Wellness of Body and Mind and The Truth About Breast Cancer: A Seven-Step Prevention Plan.

I was fascinated to learn that the American Dairy Assoc did two studies that showed that the consumption of dairy contributes to osteoporosis. When John Robbins (of Baskin Robbins) published that in Diet For A New America, the American Dairy Assoc sued him - twice. They lost both times.

In spite of that fact finally coming out, the ADA has an incredibly powerful lobby. Just read the lies on the posters they put up in school cafeterias. Do a little research and you learn we've been lied to all along.

Much as I love cow's milk, I notice right away how congested I then get. Could look it up of course, but a thread's more fun. :)

Milk makes phlegm?

Apparently not, but it does make phlegm thicker

[
B]Relationship between milk intake and mucus production in adult volunteers challenged with rhinovirus-2.[/B]

Pinnock CB1, Graham NM, Mylvaganam A, Douglas RM.
Author information
Abstract
In the first of three studies investigating the widely held belief that "milk produces mucus," 60 volunteers were challenged with rhinovirus-2, and daily respiratory symptoms and milk and dairy product intake records were kept over a 10-day period. Nasal secretion weights were obtained by weighing tissues collected and sealed immediately after use. Information was obtained on 51 subjects, yielding 510 person-days of observation. Subjects consumed zero to 11 glasses of milk per day (mean, 2.7; SE, 0.08), and secretion weights ranged from zero to 30.4 g/day (mean, 1.1; SE, 0.1). In response to an initial questionnaire, 27.5% reported the practice of reducing intake of milk or dairy products with a cold or named milk or dairy products as bad for colds. Of the latter group, 80% stated the reason as "producing more mucus/phlegm." Milk and dairy product intake was not associated with an increase in upper or lower respiratory tract symptoms of congestion or nasal secretion weight. A trend was observed for cough, when present, to be loose with increasing milk and dairy product intake; however, this effect was not statistically significant at the 5% level. Those who believe "milk makes mucus" or reduce milk intake with colds reported significantly more cough and congestion symptoms, but they did not produce higher levels of nasal secretions. We conclude that no statistically significant overall association can be detected between milk and dairy product intake and symptoms of mucus production in healthy adults, either asymptomatic or symptomatic, with rhinovirus infection.

Relationship between milk intake and mucus... [Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990] - PubMed - NCBI

I had it as well

Try table spoon of apple vinegar

milk can curdle when used to calm acid reflux, and I don't really like the taste of milk, it's more expensive and you have to drink more of it.

but yea, it's vinegar, and is a bit harsh on the reactionaries

results; before the end of the first bottle, 12 years ago, I didn't have it anymore.

You aren't drinking "cow's milk". You are drinking a product they call "milk" but is created from cow's milk. Modern milk is "pasteurized" which means that it is heated to a degree that kills germs. It also changes the chemical content. Milk wasn't pretty when the cream used to separate in the bottles so the marketing geniuses added an additional procedure called "homogenization" which altered the fat content and distributed it evenly throughout the mixture. The junk they call milk today might not be fit for human consumption.

You aren't drinking "cow's milk". You are drinking a product they call "milk" but is created from cow's milk. Modern milk is "pasteurized" which means that it is heated to a degree that kills germs. It also changes the chemical content. Milk wasn't pretty when the cream used to separate in the bottles so the marketing geniuses added an additional procedure called "homogenization" which altered the fat content and distributed it evenly throughout the mixture. The junk they call milk today might not be fit for human consumption.

but boy a nice cold glass of that "junk" is sure good with some just out of the oven chocolate chip cookies.....

milk is meant for babies and those babies need milk from their mothers, not other animals

you're not a baby and your body is telling you to stop taking milk in.

Exactly. We're not baby cows.

We're the only mammal on the planet that is never weaned and its not even milk from our own species.

but boy a nice cold glass of that "junk" is sure good with some just out of the oven chocolate chip cookies.....

If you are ten years old.

Forum List

Back