BowFlex Experience?

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Feb 16, 2014
State of Disgust!
Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with a BowFlex home gym?

I used to be a body builder during my late 20s and all of my 30s. For some reason, I just stopped working out when I was about 41. I'm 53 now and am reaping the "reward" for NOT working out (getting pudgy and losing muscle mass). I've decided to start working out again but don't want to go to a gym or buy a high priced barbell or pulley system. I just want to tone up in the comfort of my own home.

I see that BowFlex is a vibrant company that offers lots of home equipment options. I'm looking at "The Blaze" because it has a flat, horizontal bench for doing chest presses but I'm just looking right now.

Any thoughts or experiences with BlowFlex?

Anyone who's been in the military knows full-well you don't need gear to exercise and get in shape. All you need to do double-takes seeing yourself in the mirror is:

-crunches
-leglifts
-8 count bodybuilders
-push-ups
-jogging

That's all. In RTC after less than a month, I was stunned to see I had abdominals. :) I felt like death and wanted to kill myself most of the time, but if it's something you value go for it :)

Last edited:
Anyone who's been in the military knows full-well you don't need gear to exercise and get in shape. All you need to do double-takes seeing yourself in the mirror is:

-crunches
-leglifts
-8 count bodybuilders
-push-ups
-jogging

That's all. In RTC after less than a month, I was stunned to see I had abdominals. :)

I agree that the best exercises are done without aids of any kind. However, I have an extremely bad lower back; a pretty major ankle problem; and carpal tunnel in my right wrist. So I'm seeking means by which I can try to tone up without putting too much stress and strain on those pain areas.

With an 'achy breaky back' I doubt anything would be advisable for fear of exaccerbating it.

I think that doing nothing will be worse than doing what I can within certain confines. It's one reason I'm looking at the "Blaze" system because it provides a horizontal bench taking the strain off of my back during several exercises. I'm still in pretty good shape but am starting to lose tone. My main objective is keeping tone and generally fit. I will never again be able to pump iron or run up mountain trails like I used to.

Bought a Nordic Trak some time ago...
Hard to use as intended with the arm movement and legs going at the same time....
So...I use them seperately...Do some arm work but mostly as a walking exercise...

I saw results quicky after a few weekends of 3 x 15 minute "walking" exercises.

Problem was I skipped a weekend and then another...
I need to force myself to get back on it.
I lost some weight and my huge stomach started to get a tad smaller...
The thing works if used... LOL

Also looking to make adjustments with food.
Will eat smarter...More fruits,veggies and more fish less red meat and small portions.

It can't be a few weeks being good then Chinese food and pizza all week after that.
It has to be a life changing thing to be done from now on....

Well easy for me to say.
Now it's time to do it.

Bought a Nordic Trak some time ago...
Hard to use as intended with the arm movement and legs going at the same time....
So...I use them seperately...Do some arm work but mostly as a walking exercise...

I saw results quicky after a few weekends of 3 x 15 minute "walking" exercises.

Problem was I skipped a weekend and then another...
I need to force myself to get back on it.
I lost some weight and my huge stomach started to get a tad smaller...
The thing works if used... LOL

Also looking to make adjustments with food.
Will eat smarter...More fruits,veggies and more fish less red meat and small portions.

It can't be a few weeks being good then Chinese food and pizza all week after that.
It has to be a life changing thing to be done from now on....

Well easy for me to say.
Now it's time to do it.

I was a health nut for about 12 or 13 years. I went to aerobics classes; pumped iron at the gym; totally eliminated sugar and caffeine from my diet; ate lots of fruits and veggies as well as a lot of red meat, fish, and chicken (protein); hiked mountain trails; rode my mountain bike on said trails; etc. etc. I took health and fitness really seriously.

Then, one day I woke up and noticed that I had stopped (pretty much all at the same time). It really is a mental thing. It has to become routine and habitual.

I don't think I'll ever put the same dedication into fitness that I used to but I know that I will exercise routinely once I put my mind to it. I've already started eating more fruits and veggies and yogurt. I switched from cow's milk to rice milk a few years ago but recently went from rice milk to almond milk.

Anyway, I'm still hoping that someone can tell me if the BowFlex system is worth the price tag.

I used to be a body builder during my late 20s and all of my 30s. For some reason, I just stopped working out when I was about 41. I'm 53 now and am reaping the "reward" for NOT working out (getting pudgy and losing muscle mass). I've decided to start working out again but don't want to go to a gym or buy a high priced barbell or pulley system. I just want to tone up in the comfort of my own home.

I see that BowFlex is a vibrant company that offers lots of home equipment options. I'm looking at "The Blaze" because it has a flat, horizontal bench for doing chest presses but I'm just looking right now.

I think you answered your own question. BlowFlex!!!!!

Yeah ... I see the typo. But does that mean you have experience using it and didn't like it or you've never used on and haven't a clue if it works or not?

I have had one for numerous years. I also have a weight stack machine since it's a bit different to work out on. I kept the Boxflex since there are some exercises I prefer to do on it but the principle is the same, resistance training. I did some work for the guy that took Bowflex from a garage idea to the mega-company it became, even buying Nautilus.

I voiced my sketicism about it verses weight training and he said it was very well researched and tested by top people in the field with results to prove it. And since I've had it for a while I can say it does work. It's hard to explain the difference, I think the movement reaches a point of maximum resistence then gets slightly easier with the Bowflex, whereas weight is weight.

That means you can do more reps for a given resistence. But all that said, you can get a killer workout with them, no question. There are a lot of models and a lot of them collecting dust in garages, like exercise equipment is apt to do. You could probably pick up a used one for pretty cheap.

I have had one for numerous years. I also have a weight stack machine since it's a bit different to work out on. I kept the Boxflex since there are some exercises I prefer to do on it but the principle is the same, resistance training. I did some work for the guy that took Bowflex from a garage idea to the mega-company it became, even buying Nautilus.

I voiced my sketicism about it verses weight training and he said it was very well researched and tested by top people in the field with results to prove it. And since I've had it for a while I can say it does work. It's hard to explain the difference, I think the movement reaches a point of maximum resistence then gets slightly easier with the Bowflex, whereas weight is weight.

That means you can do more reps for a given resistence. But all that said, you can get a killer workout with them, no question. There are a lot of models and a lot of them collecting dust in garages, like exercise equipment is apt to do. You could probably pick up a used one for pretty cheap.

Thanks Iceweasel. Finally a straight answer. I appreciate that.

I think I will get one considering my age and personal need/goal. I'm not going to get the top of the line unit but I won't get the cheapest one either. I think "The Blaze" has about everything I'm looking for. I live alone in a 3 bedroom house so I have plenty of room to set up a workout "gym" of my own. I plan on getting a sit-up, "Roman Chair" as well. Strong abs will help my lower back.

Thanks again for your helpful input.

Yeah ... I see the typo. But does that mean you have experience using it and didn't like it or you've never used on and haven't a clue if it works or not?

I have not used it personally but know many who have. For a beginner or someone who just wants to try to tone up a bit, it might work for you. Most of these home gym body building contraptions just aren't worth the money though. I would much rather invest in a set of free weights. Of course the problem with free weights is that you need a spotter for certain routines, but even with that, you can do quite a bit with free weights.

Personally, I prefer going to the gym. I don't have any weights or machines or anything laying around my house taking up space, and the gym is only five minutes from my house. That does make it easy for me. I realize not everyone lives five minutes from the gym, so everyone has to do what works best for them.

If you can pick one up used and cheap, then it might be a worthwhile investment. I just can't see paying full price for something like this when I can go to the gym that has everything that I need for less than $.75 per day.

My brother has one. It sucks. Whenever I visit him, once or twice a year, I use it. It is ungainly, unbalanced and hard to get a good workout.

I spent $300 on an Olympic weight bench, a cheap wet of weights (300lbs) and a cheap lat pull down. I have had them for 20 years. They are just enough to keep me in shape and they don't take up too much room. 20-30 min a day 5 and sometimes days a week.

I was a powerlifter into my late 20's and gave it up, and just do it to keep from becoming pudgy.

I have not used it personally but know many who have. For a beginner or someone who just wants to try to tone up a bit, it might work for you. Most of these home gym body building contraptions just aren't worth the money though.
That's a broadbrushed stupid comment. Based on what? Your inexperience? I'll believe my life instead of some loon on the internet.
My brother has one. It sucks. Whenever I visit him, once or twice a year, I use it. It is ungainly, unbalanced and hard to get a good workout.
Bullshit. You use it one or twice a year and are an expert? What unbalanced and ungainly about it? I've never experienced it so the problem is you, not the machine.
I spent $300 on an Olympic weight bench, a cheap wet of weights (300lbs) and a cheap lat pull down. I have had them for 20 years. They are just enough to keep me in shape and they don't take up too much room. 20-30 min a day 5 and sometimes days a week.

I was a powerlifter into my late 20's and gave it up, and just do it to keep from becoming pudgy.
Freeweights are great but it is a different workout than using machines, even weight stacks. It's up to the individual to adapt to the machine unless the machine is smarter than you. There is more than one way to work out even with the same equipment. I saw a lot of guys in the gym that were only interested in building puffy muscles with almost no endurance. It's generally a younger ego driven thing, the older you get the more interested in endurance you get, it's what keeps you healthy. And you can build endurance using a Boxflex, Nautilus whatever. It's up to you to choose and adapt.

Forum List

Back