Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Creamy root vegetable soup
Roast Pork Loin with Rosemary apple sauce
Salad
Halloween cookies.
Rack of Lamb,Mash Potatoes and a sauce of sliced red peppers,finely chopped zucchini,prunes,in the sauce of Balsamic vinegar(a little),half a veg cube, red wine(decent,if you can't drink it,don't cook with it)softened red onions........variance of a Morroccan dish.......AND really Delish,. 9/10 Yum

Last edited:
I learned something last night the hard way:

I boiled a bunch of red potatoes to make a batch of mashed potatoes. Since they are small, plus I started them too early, they were done before the lamb and veggies I was making. So I drained them, and set them aside with the lid on, figuring that if they stayed in their potato shape they would hold their heat better until I was ready to mash them.

Big mistake. 30 minutes later when I started to mash them with an electric hand mixer the consistency was like dough. And they tasted terrible.

I couldn't figure out why until I Googled and found out that's a big no-no. You should mash them immediately while they are dry inside, otherwise they get starchy, which accounts for the doughy, glue-like consistency.

Live and learn.

Leave the lid off when you are finished cooking them so the steam evaporates, too. And less mashing is better than too much, with red potatoes.

I put a big pot roast in the slow cooker at lunch today, should be ready to eat about the time the kids are finished trick or treating. Nom nom nom.

Leave the lid off when you are finished cooking them so the steam evaporates, too. And less mashing is better than too much, with red potatoes.
They started wrapping around my mixer beaters from the get-go. I never got to the 'too much' stage.

I boiled a bunch of red potatoes to make a batch of mashed potatoes. Since they are small, plus I started them too early, they were done before the lamb and veggies I was making. So I drained them, and set them aside with the lid on, figuring that if they stayed in their potato shape they would hold their heat better until I was ready to mash them.

Big mistake. 30 minutes later when I started to mash them with an electric hand mixer the consistency was like dough. And they tasted terrible.

I couldn't figure out why until I Googled and found out that's a big no-no. You should mash them immediately while they are dry inside, otherwise they get starchy, which accounts for the doughy, glue-like consistency.

Live and learn.
put the lid back on after you have placed a wad of kitchen paper on the drained pots, this keeps them hot and acts as blotting paper.Invest in a quality ricer.

We made our monthly visit to the wholesale fish market in Liverpool at 05.00 thursday.
Tonight is confit halibut.

Live and learn.
Do you add milk and butter? I never let them sit so I've not had the problem but my son in law has the mashing thing and doesn't use a mixer. The potatoes are kind of lumpy and not whipped but really good.

Last night, I made homemade spaghetti sauce, but instead of putting meatballs in it, I cut up some chorizo and put that in the sauce. I've never had that before, and it was sooooo good. Yum! I also put a whole BUNCH of wine in there. Yummy. Delicious. :D You must try that.

Simple mix: boiling water, frozen broccoli, eight minutes later, drained most of the water, put in chicken broth from the last chicken dinner, put in small white potatoes and carrots and diced mushroom, brought to a boil for three minutes, spiced, and served.

My wife thinks I am the bomb, yeah.

Live and learn.

Your not supposed to use red potatoes for mashed potatoes. Too waxy. Russet potatoes and other starchy type potatoes are the kind to use for mashed. Red potatoes are better for grilling. I pretty much use Russet potatoes for everything. They are very versatile potatoes and big for when you want to have a nice baked potato.

1) Starchy potatoes (russets and many sweet potatoes): Great for baking and frying as they're absorbant.

2) Waxy potatoes (red-skinned and fingerling potatoes): These potatoes are great for soups and salads because they hold their shape so well during cooking.

3) All-purpose potatoes (Yukon Gold, blue, and purple potatoes): Good for roasting, mashing or baking.

Forum List

Back