We Miss You, Bubba

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Found this interesting.

"Come back, Bill, all is forgiven. Or most, anyway. As long as you bring a Republican Congress with you."

Suddenly, I find myself nostalgic for Bill Clinton. It comes as a shock. Back in 1996, I denounced his "breathtaking view of the ability and obligation of government to plan the economy" and his "profoundly anti-individualist ideas."

But now I have a hazy memory of the Clinton years as a sort of Golden Age. Government spending was growing only slowly, the bad ideas were mostly small, and we bombed a lot of countries but didn't put American troops at risk.

Of course, what I'm really nostalgic for is divided government. In his first two years, with a Democratic Congress, Mr. Clinton supported a health care takeover, an economic stimulus bill, an energy tax, an income-tax increase, a gasoline-tax increase, and even a retroactive tax increase on income earned before he was president. Though most of that never made it to his signing desk, it was still a bigger-government agenda than voters had expected from a guy who called himself "a new kind of Democrat."

So voters kicked the Democrats out of Congress. President Clinton grudgingly proclaimed that "the era of big government is over." And you could almost believe he meant it, especially compared to President Obama's rallying cry, "Government must lead the way," and his program based on that vision.

We Miss You, Bubba | David Boaz | Cato Institute: Commentary

As big a sleaze as he was, at least he was a relatively competent executive.

Not really. Name one piece of succesful legislation he got passed that was not part of the Republican agenda.
Add in involvement in former Yugoslavia, Somalia, and sundry other places and it doesn't look good. And he left with a recession firmly in place.
and let's not forget Chinese money laundering and witnesses suddenly disappearing or failing to remember or lying to their diaries. No, I don't miss the ole sleaze bag one bit.

What bunch of bull. Clinton was a centrist "new democrat"....

and you loons harassed him from the day he went into office... which is why the loons spent 70 million dollars investigating him...

because that was the really important priority...investigating 9/11 was only worth 7 million.

Really, it's so disingenuous it isn't funny.

and you loons harassed him from the day he went into office... which is why the loons spent 70 million dollars investigating him...

because that was the really important priority...investigating 9/11 was only worth 7 million.

Here you are defending a serial rapist and harrasser. Doesn't the cognitive dissonance ever bother you?

Clinton sexually harassed a subordinate. He lied under oath. he committed perjury.
And those are just things that were proven. We never got to the bottom of Chinese campaign contributions, Hillary's future's markets trades or Whitewater.

Obama is at least incompetent enough so we don't have to worry about shady dealings.

Bubba was a chameleon.

Far left lib when the audience and the polls dictated.

"Conservative" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean anymore) when the occasion called for it....."The era of big gummint is over".

That asswipe even professed to be a libertarian at one point or another.

If that's a "New Democrat" gimmie the old Hubert Humphrey model...I knew what I was getting when I saw his name.

The point is that Bill Clinton was much further to the left when he came into office than he was after he lost the Congress. Obama should have learned a few lessons on Healthcare from Bill, but he's far is too smart for that. :lol:

PS- Obama spent $70 million on teleprompters and limousines....

Bubba was a chameleon.

Far left lib when the audience and the polls dictated.

"Conservative" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean anymore) when the occasion called for it.."The era of big gummint is over".

That asswipe even professed to be a libertarian at one point or another.

If that's a "New Democrat" gimmie the old Hubert Humphrey model...I knew what I was getting when I saw his name.

Clinton a fake? say it ain't so:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnQ0g4BhHss]YouTube - Bill Clinton at Ron Brown's funeral[/ame]

One of the reasons I was so glad to see 0bama do so well in the Primaries, was I thought it meant the end of hearing from the Clintons.

And one very good thing about the 0bama administration is that Hillary is almost silent.

She's busy sharpening her claws for 2012.
Notice how she has not been very vocal here. She is distancing herself from a failing administration, setting up for a challenge in 12.

That's how I read it anyway.

One of the reasons I was so glad to see 0bama do so well in the Primaries, was I thought it meant the end of hearing from the Clintons.

And one very good thing about the 0bama administration is that Hillary is almost silent.

Hillary is biding her time. If the Democrats lose a bunch of seats in November, expect her to resign and run for the Presidency in 2012.

Difference between Clinton and Obama is Clinton cares more about the power than the idealogy and thus was willing to work with Republicans to pass their agenda and claim it as his own. Obama is an idealogue and will never "moderate"

Difference between Clinton and Obama is Clinton cares more about the power than the idealogy and thus was willing to work with Republicans to pass their agenda and claim it as his own. Obama is an idealogue and will never "moderate"

Agreed. That's why I believe Obama will go down in flames in 2012, perhaps worse than Jimmy Carter in 1980.

Forum List

Back