Was Jesus Gay?

Was Jesus queer? We don't know. But it is a possibility that cannot be ruled out. One version of St. Mark's gospel - which is still the subject of academic dispute - alludes to Jesus having a homosexual relationship with a youth he raised from the dead.

According to the US Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) includes the passage:

"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

The veracity of this manuscript is hotly contested by other Biblical scholars. This comes as no surprise. The revelation of a gay Jesus would undermine some of the most fundamental tenets of orthodox Christianity, including its rampant homophobia.

But even if the text is genuine, does this ambiguous, elliptical passage offer evidence of Jesus's homosexuality? It is hard to say. The precise nature of the relationship between Christ and the youth is not spelled out. Sexual relations are suggested but not explicitly stated.

The Morton Smith document is, in fact, irrelevant to the vexed issue of Christ's sexual orientation. What we can say for certain is that the standard, accepted Biblical narrative gives us no information at all about Jesus's sexuality.

This absence of firm information does not, of course, mean that we can take it for granted that Christ was heterosexual. Far from it! The lack of information about his erotic inclinations begs more questions than it answers.

In the absence of any evidence - let alone proof - that Jesus was heterosexual, the theological basis of Church homophobia is all the more shaky and indefensible. How can established religion dare denounce homosexuality when the founder of its faith was himself a man of mysterious, unknown sexuality who could, for all we know, have been homosexual?

Peter Tatchell: Was Jesus Gay?

Last edited:
The bible says Jesus is human and God and that he experienced temptation like very human, yet never sinned. That leads me to believe he felt every emotion and feeling a human can feel.
So you are claiming he was bi-sexual?

Nope. I am saying he was tempted because the bible says HE WAS TEMPTED EVERY WAY, YET NEVER SINNED. Therefore, he could not be homosexual or bisexual.
Or heterosexual, if your logic is correct.

Was Jesus queer? We don't know. But it is a possibility that cannot be ruled out. One version of St. Mark's gospel - which is still the subject of academic dispute - alludes to Jesus having a homosexual relationship with a youth he raised from the dead.

According to the US Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) includes the passage:

"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

The veracity of this manuscript is hotly contested by other Biblical scholars. This comes as no surprise. The revelation of a gay Jesus would undermine some of the most fundamental tenets of orthodox Christianity, including its rampant homophobia.

But even if the text is genuine, does this ambiguous, elliptical passage offer evidence of Jesus's homosexuality? It is hard to say. The precise nature of the relationship between Christ and the youth is not spelled out. Sexual relations are suggested but not explicitly stated.

The Morton Smith document is, in fact, irrelevant to the vexed issue of Christ's sexual orientation. What we can say for certain is that the standard, accepted Biblical narrative gives us no information at all about Jesus's sexuality.

This absence of firm information does not, of course, mean that we can take it for granted that Christ was heterosexual. Far from it! The lack of information about his erotic inclinations begs more questions than it answers.

In the absence of any evidence - let alone proof - that Jesus was heterosexual, the theological basis of Church homophobia is all the more shaky and indefensible. How can established religion dare denounce homosexuality when the founder of its faith was himself a man of mysterious, unknown sexuality who could, for all we know, have been homosexual?

Peter Tatchell: Was Jesus Gay?
Sky found a blog with a bunch of links and she is not interested in discussing anything she found.

:lol:

Spam.

I don't have an investment in the outcome. I've purposely skipped your posts Si, because they're all ad hominem.

Last edited:
I don't have an investment in the outcome.
Oh, I don't believe that for a minute.

You WANT to believe that which you reject is just like you so that somehow you are validated as a person.

I don't understand why self-acceptance is so very difficult for you. It makes me sad for you because self-acceptance is so very easy.

sigh....you are doing the same thing the uber-christians do, taking things out of context to push an agenda.

By "uber-Christians", do you mean Christians who believe the bible?

No, I mean the ones that read into it what they wish to read into it and use it to bash people that disagree with them.

That would be you and your pals, the unbelievers who twist Scripture to fit your agenda.

Nope. I am saying he was tempted because the bible says HE WAS TEMPTED EVERY WAY, YET NEVER SINNED. Therefore, he could not be homosexual or bisexual.

Heterosexuality is not a sin.
Sex is a temptation. You claimed Jesus was prey to all the temptations of a human. That would include at one point in his life or another the passing attraction to another male.

Heterosexuality is not a sin.
Not that I know too much of what is in the bible, but where does it say that homosexuality is a sin?

Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible. Below are some Bible verses that condemn homosexuality:

Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

I Corinthians 6:9(NIV) - Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB) - "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."

Jude 1:6-7 (NASB) - And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

No, I mean the ones that read into it what they wish to read into it and use it to bash people that disagree with them.

That would be you and your pals, the unbelievers who twist Scripture to fit your agenda.
I'm not the one claiming it says something it doesn't say.

Do you believe I am claiming the bible says something it doesn't say? Show us.

The point is, there is no biblical proof Jesus was heterosexual. Bible passages can be stretched to mean anything.

I'm not the one claiming it says something it doesn't say.

Do you believe I am claiming the bible says something it doesn't say? Show us.

Your post to Si Modo above. You were schooled on the translation of the OT and have no interest in considering the truth.

Forum List

Back