Vatican Censors Nun's Book on Sexual Ethics

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    A long-simmering conflict between the Vatican and American nuns erupted again on Monday when the Vatican's doctrinal office issued a scathing critique of a popular book on sexual ethics by Sister Margaret A. Farley, one of the first Catholics to teach at Yale Divinity School.

After two years of study, the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith published a "notification" on Farley's Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics, saying it contradicts Catholic doctrine on key issues such as gay marriage, homosexuality and divorce.

Coming just days after U.S. nuns rejected the Vatican's reasoning for a wholesale makeover, and a year after U.S. bishops sanctioned another nun theologian, the condemnation of Farley is the latest example of what critics see as a top-down attempt to muzzle women's voices and an obsession on sexual ethics.

Farley, who was the first woman professor and one of the first Catholics to teach at Yale Divinity School, says she is convinced that her positions "reflect a deep coherence with the central aims and insights" of Christian theology and tradition, and contends that the Vatican ignored the reasons and context that led to her conclusions

Vatican censors nun's book on sexual ethics | firstcoastnews.com

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has read this book and wants to comment on it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I am interested in knowing how this is censorship.

3. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Hey Sky Duncer - AKA idiot.

What "religion" you partial to - a-wipe?

One of the 30K "protestant" cults?

Which one?

If you're an atheist - kindly fuck off.

4. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,645
    At least they've moved beyond burning at the stake or else she'd be in big trouble.

5. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,645
    Yours is a pretty anal religion, I must say, particularly when it comes to women. Your church men are almost as afraid of women's sexuality as the moooslims are.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    She's Buddhist. She is rather vocal about it. Im surprised everyone doesnt know.

7. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    1) I see no censorship. Making Public statements that a certain book doesnt reflect Catholic Doctrine isn't censorship. I see no efforts by the Church to suppress the book in any way. Can you elaborate?

2) Catholic doctrine on sexual ethics aligns closely to the ethics proscribed in scripture and revelation. What exactly are this nun's arguments that her views are at all inline with Christianity? If she is teching anything then chastity before marriage, and fidelity afterwards, then she is teaching something contrary to Christian (Catholics included) Doctrine.

8. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    So the Faithful Catholics have large families because they are afraid of women's sexuality?

Is there any man on earth that is afraid of women's sexuality? I dont know a single man, excluding my gay friends, who doesn't welcome women's sexuality as often as the woman in their lives allow it.

I know there is some myth out there that people have to be promiscuous to enjoy sexuality, but quite honestly, that's not true. In fact, most people I talk to about it (granted it's not a large group since im not really that interested in the sex lives of others) have always said that they much prefer exploring their sexuality with spouse than any other encounter. Sex is the glue to the mariage. Without the feelings of absolute trust, oneness, love, etc established before hand, sex is meaningless.

It's the difference between a truly sacred experience and a profane crass one.

9. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    All the headlines call it censorship. It has to do with sanctions the Vatican has inflicted.

"In an interview Friday with the National Catholic Reporter, LCWR president Sr. Pat Farrell, a member of the Sisters of St. Francis in Dubuque, Iowa said that in raising doctrinal and theological issues the nuns in her organization have also been reflecting a wider conversation among Catholics in the church -- and one that often finds no other outlet in officialdom.

"The insinuation that I think many people could draw from reading that Vatican document is that if we raise those questions, we’re unfaithful to the church," Farrell said. "That’s not true. And I don’t think that’s really fair. I think, in fact, that that is a sign of our deepest faithfulness to the church -- questions that the people of God need to raise, that we need to talk about together in a climate of genuine dialogue."

The LCWR response comes as Benedict faces an enormous public relations headache over the leak of sensitive documents that reveal his Roman curia to be a dysfunctional bureaucracy riven by backroom plotting and politicking.

In pointed contrast to the unflattering reports coming out of the Vatican in recent weeks, the LCWR said the stand-off must be "addressed by the entire church community in an atmosphere of openness, honesty, and integrity.”

Religion News Service | Faith | Leaders & Institutions | U.S. nuns rip Vatican for ‘unsubstantiated accusations’

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    You should really seek psychiatric help for your anti-Catholic obsession.