Volkswagen Diesel

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A couple months ago, I purchased a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (6-speed). They had been held off the market for a while as VW figured out how to fix the software glitch, but it's good to go now. I actually got a 162,000 mile guarantee against any emissions problems.

It is a 2 liter 4, turboDiesel, with about 150hp and 230 ft-lbs of torque.

What a sweet drivetrain! In addition to fabulous mileage, the motor is extremely tractable and powerful. It is a joy to drive. My highway mileage is near 50, and well over 40 around town. On the highway, it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm going 55 or 80. With the premium for Diesel fuel, it is probably the financial equivalent of getting around 30mpg overall, but I don't think there are any 30mpg cars that are this much fun to drive.

This car is quite Spartan. I bought the 'S' model rather than the 'SE' because I was in a hurry and didn't want an automatic. It will be interesting to see how the resale value holds up. I'm hoping it is analogous to the Honda S2000 - out of production but with consistent demand.

A couple months ago, I purchased a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (6-speed). They had been held off the market for a while as VW figured out how to fix the software glitch, but it's good to go now. I actually got a 162,000 mile guarantee against any emissions problems.

What a sweet drivetrain! In addition to fabulous mileage, the motor is extremely tractable and powerful. It is a joy to drive. My highway mileage is near 50, and well over 40 around town. On the highway, it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm going 55 or 80. With the premium for Diesel fuel, it is probably the financial equivalent of getting around 30mpg overall, but I don't think there are any 30mpg cars that are this much fun to drive.

This car is quite Spartan. I bought the 'S' model rather than the 'SE' because I was in a hurry and didn't want an automatic. It will be interesting to see how the resale value holds up. I'm hoping it is analogous to the Honda S2000 - out of production but with consistent demand.
/---/ Great car - but I'm just wondering why you'd be in a rush to make an expensive purchase you'll be stuck with for years. And was it faster saying "Gimmie a stick" vs "Gimmie an automatic?"

I just picked up a '14 Jetta TSI SE.

Spartan is an apt description. I like it. Very happy with my purchase.

Not to be a jerk, but the Diesel was upgraded in 2015, and the resale values reflect that.

I generally get bored with my cars after three years, so I will find out in due course whether this was a mistake. My "Plan B" was a loaded Dodge Journey - a nicer vehicle than most people think. I probably would have been happy with that one, too, but the VeeDub is funner to drive.

Not to be a jerk, but the Diesel was upgraded in 2015, and the resale values reflect that.

I generally get bored with my cars after three years, so I will find out in due course whether this was a mistake. My "Plan B" was a loaded Dodge Journey - a nicer vehicle than most people think. I probably would have been happy with that one, too, but the VeeDub is funner to drive.
And not to be a dick, a "glitch" is usually unintended.
That said, VW makes a great car. My little gas 1.8 gits and goes!

I've been looking at those. Looking around for another vehicle for trips and getting around when I'm not hauling my trailer. Tempted between one of these which is a bit more practical for a road trip for three... Or a GTI 4 door.

I remember after Ike there was no gas to be had from Webster to Conroe. But there was diesel to be had.

/——/ I still don’t understand why you’d buy one model over another because you were in a hurry. We’re you jogging in place? We’re you late for a dental appointment? Makes no sense.

Forum List

Back