Roads, guardrails, and parking garages were not designed for the weight of EVs

Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

We're all going to pay for this nonsense.
EVs also chew through tires about 50% faster.
A new Generation of tougher ( more expensive) tires is in the works.

So?

If the roads can't stand up to their weight...we're all doomed according to the OP. The guard rails...can't someone please think about the guardrails!!!!

Why don't you guys just admit it...you think, somehow, electric vehicles are a threat to the nation's manhood since they violate some bizarre pain threshold you think everyone should have to cross.
Electric cars are a threat to our freedom.

That is because the problem is not the weight of EVs. The problem is that some people do not want EVs and don't want anyone else to have them either.
You make several excellent points there, but fail to mention that without government tax payer dollar subsidies, the EV market would not exist. In a free market model, very few buyers would pay the necessary price.

That is because the problem is not the weight of EVs. The problem is that some people do not want EVs and don't want anyone else to have them either.

I don't want EV's because they tear up the roads and don't pay road taxes to repair them.

You make several excellent points there, but fail to mention that without government tax payer dollar subsidies, the EV market would not exist. In a free market model, very few buyers would pay the necessary price.

While this is one of the few valid points in this thread, maybe we should quit eating bread because of wheat subsidies also?

You want to end all subsidies and live with the outcome? I'll support that.

While this is one of the few valid points in this thread, maybe we should quit eating bread because of wheat subsidies also?

You want to end all subsidies and live with the outcome? I'll support that.
In general terms, yes, I oppose government subsidies, but never say never. On the point of EV subsidies, I'm totally against them.

I don't care if people by EV's. I just don't want the government to force me to buy one.

This illustrates the stupidity of electric cars...

Screenshot_20240205-141815-569.png

Climate change idiots are the deniers who were easily duped by the oil companies propaganda.

Batteries are toxic... well for goodness sake don't eat them.

Typical EV battery warranty 8-10 years
Typical Gas engine warranty 5 years

Projected lifespan of current EV batteries 15-20 years
Projected lifespan of current gas engines 10 years or 200,000 miles

Cost of new engine $4000 to $10,000 dollars.

Recycled EV batteries are projected to provide a third of the new raw materials by 2030. Until very recently there hasn't been a significant amount of used batteries because the industry is so new.
What a pile of shit. Seems winterborn is as dumb as you. No EV battery lasts 15 years. Recycle? What recycler is taking lithium or other toxic crap? Noting your total dodge of the facts and how you have no plan for actually disposing of these dead batteries moron. A new EV battery will run you over $10,000. Enjoy that.

No EV battery lasts 15 years.
For one, I said projected. The 2012 Tesla Model S (12 years old and counting) was the first mass produced EV with proper thermal management. There are plenty still on the road today with only a tiny fraction ever getting a battery replacement (mostly free under warranty). It is obvious you know nothing about EVs.

Recycle? What recycler is taking lithium or other toxic crap?
  • ACCUREC-Recycling GmbH
  • American Manganese Inc.
  • Battery Solutions
  • G & P Batteries Limited
  • Retriev Technologies
  • SITRASA
  • SNAM Groupe (Floridienne)
  • TES-Amm
  • Umicore
  • Li-Cycle Holdings Corp.
  • Cirba Solutions
  • Raw Materials Company
Your welcome.

For one, I said projected. The 2012 Tesla Model S (12 years old and counting) was the first mass produced EV with proper thermal management. There are plenty still on the road today with only a tiny fraction ever getting a battery replacement (mostly free under warranty). It is obvious you know nothing about EVs.

• ACCUREC-Recycling GmbH
  • American Manganese Inc.
  • Battery Solutions
  • G & P Batteries Limited
  • Retriev Technologies
  • SITRASA
  • SNAM Groupe (Floridienne)
  • TES-Amm
  • Umicore
  • Li-Cycle Holdings Corp.
  • Cirba Solutions
  • Raw Materials Company
Your welcome.
Now you and Winterborn can explain HOW they’re handing those TOXIC chemicals in the batteries. Your list doesn’t state that any of those companies are doing anything but burying those TOXIC chemicals. THOSE are not being recycled. You really are pretty stupid. It’s obvious yiu won’t address the actual topic. Just another phony “environmentalist”.

Now you and Winterborn can explain HOW they’re handing those TOXIC chemicals in the batteries.
Why don't you tell us how that compares to ICE vehicles.... Since you are the one that keeps moving the goal posts on this thread about EV weight...
Your list doesn’t state that any of those companies are doing anything but burying those TOXIC chemicals. THOSE are not being recycled. You really are pretty stupid. It’s obvious yiu won’t address the actual topic. Just another phony “environmentalist”.
The actual topic was EV weight... Which your side got embarrassed on because of the weak arguments.

What is pretty stupid is the idea that you're a phony environmentalist if you're trying to lessen pollution/emissions but you can't be 100% clean.

If you're actually serious about reducing toxic waste then I'm sure you would love to support stronger environmental regulations on several industries.

Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

Maybe we should just fix the infrastructure instead of blaming EVs…….the weight of a ford 150 running around adds more weight too.

So your solution is to continue paying for the pollution in the air, ground water and damaged road surfaces of ICE vehicles ? Your solution is to continue paying for fossil fuel wars ? Roads are damaged more by long haul trucking. Let’s do Away with those. Do you actually know how much dirty engine oil pollutes ?

Forum List

Back