Roads, guardrails, and parking garages were not designed for the weight of EVs

Burgermeister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2021
Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

We're all going to pay for this nonsense.

Road wear will be dramatically increased by EVs probably doubling highway work and taxes, doubling repairs and construction, and good luck if your EV goes off the road and all there is to stop you from going over the cliff is the guardrail or you are caught in a highway pile up with a dozen EV cars slamming into the back of a bunch of stopped cars, half of them catching on lithium fire inside a tunnel.

That tunnel will be closed for months for repairs from all of the fire, smoke and heat.

And don't even mention the environmental impact of all that smoke from burning lithium, nickel, copper and carbon.

Every car wreck will be another East Palestine.

A Tesla Model S weighs 4561 lbs.
A Chevy Suburban weighs 5824 lbs.

The Rivian may be an exceptionally heavy vehicle.

Rather than blaming all EVs, pass a weight limit for passenger vehicles. And maybe upgrade the roads and guardrails.
How much does a fully loaded Peterbuilt 53' trailer weigh vs a Prius?

I'm guessing the Peterbuilt (that has been on the road since the 60's) weighs more. Strange how suddenly the roads can't handle their weight.

How much does a fully loaded Peterbuilt 53' trailer weigh vs a Prius?

I'm guessing the Peterbuilt (that has been on the road since the 60's) weighs more. Strange how suddenly the roads can't handle their weight.

That is because the problem is not the weight of EVs. The problem is that some people do not want EVs and don't want anyone else to have them either.

The problem is that some people do not want EVs and don't want anyone else to have them either.

Except that the only people passing Laws (aka the barrel of a government gun) that mandate that only EV cars can be sold new are the people who do not want anyone else to have internal combustion engine vehicles.

If people want to buy an EV, that should be their choice.

But leave me alone, thank you very much.

Except that the only people passing Laws (aka the barrel of a government gun) that mandate that only EV cars can be sold new are the people who do not want anyone else to have internal combustion engine vehicles.

If people want to buy an EV, that should be their choice.

But leave me alone, thank you very much.
Except that isn't the point of this idiotic thread....

The point (aka lie) the OP is telling is that the EVs weigh too much and the roads can't take it...yet somehow much heavier vehicles have been on the road for over 1/2 a century.

The point (aka lie) the OP is telling is that the EVs weigh too much and the roads can't take it...yet somehow much heavier vehicles have been on the road for over 1/2 a century.

If you don't think that replacing all ICE cars with EVs that the additional weight will not have an effect on the wear and tear of roads then you're even dumber than I thought. And that's really saying something.

This is true whether or not you are pro or anti EV

Yeah, well I didn't respond to the OP.

I responded to WB's post...

The problem is that some people do not want EVs and don't want anyone else to have them either.

Your selective outrage is selective.

Last edited:
If you don't think that replacing all ICE cars with EVs that the additional weight will not have an effect on the wear and tear of roads then you're even dumber than I thought. And that's really saying something.

Has it had an effect so far? No.

You guys just get more and more dishonest every day...it's become farcical.

Yeah, well I didn't respond to the OP.

I responded to WB's post...

Your selective outrage is selective.

No outrage. Just an observation that there are some (more than a few) people here who simply dislike EVs for some reason.

And I do not agree with the gov't mandates concerning EVs.

Has it had an effect so far? No.

You guys just get more and more dishonest every day...it's become farcical.

What percentage of vehicles are electric.? The more electric cars on the road , the more the increased weight will have an effect.

Don't be a fucking idiot facts are facts.

And how many decades before the EVs even equal the number of ICEs? To say nothing of this "replacing all ICE cars with EVs". Right now they account for around 1% of light vehicles on the road.

Forum List

Back