Vegetable Garden Plans - Need Ideas

Peas in early spring will put nitrogen into the soil, which helps grow tomatoes. I always liked bush beans but pole beans on a trellis saves more space. Corn works well if you have a cover plant after the corn has grown to about three feet, i use cucumber to help hold in the moisture when it dries during the summer.

try digging in a polymer when you plant... and dig it in DEEP......it helps hold the water.

Perlite ... Same thing ?

Got some heirloom corn I planted last year which did very well - I'm gonna plant again this season

1899903_561821790580341_103740436_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/VegetableGardeningLuv2garden

Last edited:
Peas in early spring will put nitrogen into the soil, which helps grow tomatoes. I always liked bush beans but pole beans on a trellis saves more space. Corn works well if you have a cover plant after the corn has grown to about three feet, i use cucumber to help hold in the moisture when it dries during the summer.

Are peas worth the space?

I think they are, especially when trellised

try digging in a polymer when you plant... and dig it in DEEP......it helps hold the water.

Perlite ... Same thing ?

Got some heirloom corn I planted last year which did very well - I'm gonna plant again this season

1899903_561821790580341_103740436_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/VegetableGardeningLuv2garden

no not the same thing at all...

the polymer will absorb water and slowly release it as the ground gets dry....

if you get some....put a teaspoon in a few gallons of water and watch what happens. I call that "blooming"... and prefer planting "bloomed" polymer then dry polymer.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-100831-Storing-Crystals-12-Ounce/dp/B0042YYVYG/ref=sr_1_6/179-4677221-3629562?ie=UTF8&qid=1394507213&sr=8-6&keywords=soil+moist+polymer[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Soil-Moist-JCD-012SM-3-Ounce-Bag/dp/B000HA93NI/ref=sr_1_9/179-4677221-3629562?ie=UTF8&qid=1394507213&sr=8-9&keywords=soil+moist+polymer]Amazon.com: Soil Moist JCD-012SM 3-Ounce Bag: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Last edited:
Green Bean, why don't you contact your local county extension office to see if they have a list of approximate planting dates for your area.
Not all veggies are planted at the same time and they mature at different times and some won't grow at other times....like lettuce & radishes & cole crops are spring/fall/winter crops down here.
Chard & spinach are also cooler weather crops....so you will have free space at different times.

Well prepped soil....

Hit up all of your local starbucks for coffee grounds and start saving your egg shells..... dig them all in.

I talked to you last year about it. About how I love planting a garden from a different country and you were into it.

I think this year. BRAZIL. I think I should plant Brazil. I'll let you know how it goes.

we sure did.....

cool!! .... though i am not sure what you will plant to make it brazil.

My grandson has a small space in which he's planting a Pizza Garden - his first garden.

pizzaman.JPG

Pizza Gardens* - Make your Own Pizza Garden

test your soil... you may need time released lime... that is usually what it needs is lime. Add fertilizer and you will need to do weed control too. Have fun!

Green Bean, why don't you contact your local county extension office to see if they have a list of approximate planting dates for your area.
Not all veggies are planted at the same time and they mature at different times and some won't grow at other times....like lettuce & radishes & cole crops are spring/fall/winter crops down here.
Chard & spinach are also cooler weather crops....so you will have free space at different times.

That is an excellent idea.

we use raised beds , doesn't need to be fancy or permanent with frames , etc . I had a guy with a tractor go through the area that I wanted to garden with his tractor a few years back and then I went through the garden numerous times with my BCS rear tine tiller . After I got the soil tilled up I went through the area with a flat , square shovel and I dug paths . I dug the first path and I threw the soil to the left building that bed up as high as I could with the dirt from the path . I dug the rest of the beds the same way and always threw the dirt to the left onto the bed and all beds are about the same width and the length of the bed doesn't matter . Beds are about 4 and a half feet wide and we can reach to the center of all beds from the paths . Beds can be a long as you like and can be routed around stumps , boulders and other obstructions and the garden looks very nice as it meanders along . After the beds are dug we just added organic material by hand that we got cheap or free , manure , leaves , grass clippings , vegetable scraps , sawdust , wood chips , coffee grounds , tea bags , etc. . We plant seeds like beans , peas , squash , cabbage , brussel sprouts , carrots and salad vegetables are generally seeds and we grow or buy plants [sets like tomatoes] to go in the dirt if they are cheap enough . Salad vegetables like lettuce , radishes , herbs , cherry tomatoes are mostly grown in pots outside the back door . As regards organic material , every weekend throughout the year my wife takes the weeks kitchen scraps to the garden and just digs them into a hole or furrow that she digs somewhere in the garden . In a few days the scraps are eaten by the worms or rotted away . The nice thing about doing these beds is that you never need to walk in the beds as you can reach into the center of the beds from either side from the paths . Every once in awhile I dress up the paths with a flat shovel trying to keep them flat and square . I also use straw or leaves in the path to kinda shore up the sides of the raised beds . Corn is just grown in a large plot in the traditional way , potatoes are grown in a raised bed in straw or leaves or combination of whatever organic material I have and as you pick tiny potatoes or big potatoes they are excellent and clean . Weeds are never a problem in my garden as I just pick them out of the beds as they are small and drop them into the path . One of the best things that I grow is ROMANO beans of the pole bean variety . I grow them in a raised bed about 4 - 5 feet width and about 20 feet long . I just plant the beans with no real concern on spacing and I put in 8 or 10 foot high HEAVY metal posts [as many as I have] throughout that bed and I run heavy garden string post to post for the beans to climb up . It looks good and produces extremely well and its a real jungle and all that green mass is HEAVY !!! I use no chems but will if they are needed , never had the soil tested as I just feed it as much organic material as I can . Diamataceous [sp] earth is excellent for hard body bugs like squash beetles and is organic and that's about all the bug killer I ever need . Just the way I've been doing gardening for the last 40 some years . I pretty much learned my methods from ORGANIC GARDENING magazine by Robert Rodale back in the 70s and early 80s and it works good for me !!

I am doing a variation of that technique this year [MENTION=49074]pismoe[/MENTION] . I used to have a much larger garden but have scaled back considerably this year. I used to plow and disc, but this year I just tilled rows enough for two or three plants wide, depending on the plant. I am mulching and composting the planting rows. On the foot paths though I am just letting whatever comes up come up and chop it back with a hoe and compost in place. I started to do cardboard/mulch on the foot paths, but decided it was just a wast of money. Maybe once I get my rows maintenance free I will work on the paths. I started to do stepping stones but was afraid they would attract ants which I have way too many of already since I am trying to be pesticide free these days.

I think The Mother Earth News is a good magazine as well. I have gotten some good ideas from them.

yeah , MOTHER EARTH NEWS is interesting but now I get most of my ideas out of just my past experience Samm. It works pretty good , thing I like is that after the beds are dug then its just keep planting and feeding the organic stuff , mulch , scraps to the beds as the soil is soft and always ready to plant . I do the straw and leaves in the path to keep the weeds down and its also a ready supply of mulch for around the bases of plants . I think that RODALE is dead and the last time I checked out ORGANIC GARDENING I was not impressed .

Wasn't sure where I should put this, but just felt a need to say I have lost my f-ing mind. Someone gave me a $25 Home Depot gift card awhile back that I just wanted to get rid of. I went through their lawn and garden ghost town and saw some wall stones that were pretty cheap so I said to myself,"Hey at a little more than a buck a piece, I'll pick up 20. I'll use them for something and I can have one less card in my wallet."

I decided to go ahead and lay out a separate kitchen garden for spring closer to the house. Since it is a gentle slope, I decided, "Hey I can build a wall to stop the erosion and level it some. I am now closing in on a hundred of these blocks and will probably use 200 more after which I will need a ton of backfill all because of one dinky little gift card.

Wasn't sure where I should put this, but just felt a need to say I have lost my f-ing mind. Someone gave me a $25 Home Depot gift card awhile back that I just wanted to get rid of. I went through their lawn and garden ghost town and saw some wall stones that were pretty cheap so I said to myself,"Hey at a little more than a buck a piece, I'll pick up 20. I'll use them for something and I can have one less card in my wallet."

I decided to go ahead and lay out a separate kitchen garden for spring closer to the house. Since it is a gentle slope, I decided, "Hey I can build a wall to stop the erosion and level it some. I am now closing in on a hundred of these blocks and will probably use 200 more after which I will need a ton of backfill all because of one dinky little gift card.

:lol:

know the feeling

been there before

Forum List

Back