USMB locks up

☭proletarian☭;1894584 said:
Someone needs a Hug!...

:)

peace...

From the looks of her comment, might I suggest you not be the one to try? We only have the travel size first aid kit here at USMB.:lol:

Trauma%20Bag%2025.jpg

Always be prepared :)

What are you trying to say? :eusa_eh:

Let you at him,. We've got all the necessary supplies to keep him alive so you can beat him again :)

☭proletarian☭;1895193 said:
Let you at him,. We've got all the necessary supplies to keep him alive so you can beat him again :)

Let me know when that first Beating begins, Sponge Gums...

Cause up until today, it's a LOT of Yappy on the Interweb(s)... :rofl:

peace...

Where'd ya' go, buddy? Don't tell me you're afraid of a 5 foot nothing redhead ....:lol:

Moi? Or is Dis a 5' redhead too? Actually, I'm 5'3". But nothing like an Irish fishwife to end the brawl. I had no idea this thread would generate :meow:ing

Updating the OP, I got hung up (no pun intended) elsewhere today, so I can't blame it on USMB. Must be Firefox .

Every day, the USMB locks up on me between 12-1PM. It's attempting to "load" whatever I've clicked on--even trying to log off the board and get back on thinking that might fix it. What's up with this? And why only this time of day? This specific problem has only been happening since I started using Firefox as my server.

Does the same between 12-1AM.

It could be either your browser updating or the board server. I never considered it could be Firefox. Always thought it was the server.

The tech gets no love.:lol:

I do love computer techs since I'm completely ignorant as to what's under the hood.
When a site isn't loading, check other sites. If they are loading, it's the site, not your browser or internet connection.

Here's another handy little tool to use at those times as well: Down for everyone or just me? You simply type in the site you want to check, and click the "or just me" link. Bookmark it for future use.

And, just offhand I'd say continuing to plead ignorance is generally okay, but actually curing such ignorance is preferred. Going on and on pleading ignorance becomes willful ignorance, at some point. You don't need to be much of a "tech" to learn 99.9% of this stuff.

It could be either your browser updating or the board server. I never considered it could be Firefox. Always thought it was the server.

I do love computer techs since I'm completely ignorant as to what's under the hood.
When a site isn't loading, check other sites. If they are loading, it's the site, not your browser or internet connection.

Here's another handy little tool to use at those times as well: Down for everyone or just me? You simply type in the site you want to check, and click the "or just me" link. Bookmark it for future use.

And, just offhand I'd say continuing to plead ignorance is generally okay, but actually curing such ignorance is preferred. Going on and on pleading ignorance becomes willful ignorance, at some point. You don't need to be much of a "tech" to learn 99.9% of this stuff.

Lately, it's just been this site... Considering that it's been a Complaint of at least a few other people here, there must be something that's going on, either on our side, or the Site's side.

peace...

Lately, it's just been this site... Considering that it's been a Complaint of at least a few other people here, there must be something that's going on, either on our side, or the Site's side.

peace...
You can readily tell if it's "your" side.

If it's "their" side, not our problem.

peace...

I doubt it's my Side... Happens at Work and Home, and ONLY this Site and others here have had the same Issue...

Obviously it's a Technical Issue, I was just here Chimming in that it was also happening to me.

peace...

peace...

I doubt it's my Side... Happens at Work and Home, and ONLY this Site and others here have had the same Issue...

Obviously it's a Technical Issue, I was just here Chimming in that it was also happening to me.
It can be any of a myriad of things, most of which aren't actual problems.

System could be running a routine cron job, for one such.

I've experienced no issues whatsoever, but this probably coincides with the fact that I'm actually not here much.

I'm not "loading" anything intentionally, and I've never had this particular problem before. Frankly, I don't have time (nor would I even if I did) to become even a novice tech pro. Ordinarily, once I've learned how to solve a problem, I don't "plead ignorance" except when another one pops up, and I usually find (as here) that others are experiencing the same problem. Just because you're a pro, doesn't mean everyone else has any interest in becoming one. You can always choose just to ignore my ignorant questions, you know.

Thank you for the link, but ironically, if my system is frozen, I can't click on it. That's like some of the instructions on troubleshooting access to the Internet, when they involve clicking on links requiring access to the Internet. Oh really? And how is one supposed to do that unless you have another computer handy? Catch-22...

I'm not "loading" anything intentionally, and I've never had this particular problem before. Frankly, I don't have time (nor would I even if I did) to become even a novice tech pro. Ordinarily, once I've learned how to solve a problem, I don't "plead ignorance" except when another one pops up, and I usually find (as here) that others are experiencing the same problem. Just because you're a pro, doesn't mean everyone else has any interest in becoming one. You can always choose just to ignore my ignorant questions, you know.

Thank you for the link, but ironically, if my system is frozen, I can't click on it. That's like some of the instructions on troubleshooting access to the Internet, when they involve clicking on links requiring access to the Internet. Oh really? And how is one supposed to do that unless you have another computer handy? Catch-22...
If you are experiencing total freeze-up, it's not related to USMB or your browser. It's the junk in your computer you have not removed as yet. Remember when you downloaded Stinger and HijackThis and came back 5 minutes later and said they didn't find anything? That's because you only downloaded the programs, and did not run a scan with them. Because the scans by these programs would take at least 30 minutes to accomplish, each.

This was explained to you, in that thread, and you never replied back.

Until you clean the garbage out of your registry, you are going to continue to have problems.

And for about the fourth time, I am not a "pro." I am just what's commonly called a "power user" who took a little time to educate himself and more importantly listen to those who had greater knowledge and experience.

If you don't like having problems, then it behooves you to learn about keeping a clean registry. You start threads complaining about USMB not working, when the actual problem appears to be YOUR COMPUTER. You don't have time to learn this basic, easy stuff, but you have time to waste having the problems and complaining about them?

The fact that others experience problems means absolutely nothing, as I have also explained here. It's anecdotal. Again, if your whole system is freezing up it's not the site you're on which is causing it.

Apply logic to the problem.

I'm not "loading" anything intentionally
If you are visiting a site, you ARE loading it, intentionally. "Loading" in this sense means allowing the site to load code, images, and etc on your browser so you can see them.

That is called a "page load" and it happens every time you click any link, or hit the "refresh" button on your browser.

Really? Y'all just had to open your traps, and undo all the thread hijacking we got accomplished last night? :eusa_eh:

I DO hope you're proud of yourselves. :hmpf:

He couldn't handle me on his best day, and my worst. :eusa_hand:

He couldn't handle me on his best day, and my worst. :eusa_hand:

The Tragic thing is... You really Believe this... And it Matters to you. :lol:

A Challenge to you, Miss Dis... Try Ignoring me...

Bet ya can't, as you have Proven once again in this Technical Thread! ;)

peace...

If you are experiencing total freeze-up, it's not related to USMB or your browser. It's the junk in your computer you have not removed as yet. Remember when you downloaded Stinger and HijackThis and came back 5 minutes later and said they didn't find anything? That's because you only downloaded the programs, and did not run a scan with them. Because the scans by these programs would take at least 30 minutes to accomplish, each.

Until you clean the garbage out of your registry, you are going to continue to have problems.

And for about the fourth time, I am not a "pro." I am just what's commonly called a "power user" who took a little time to educate himself and more importantly listen to those who had greater knowledge and experience.

If you don't like having problems, then it behooves you to learn about keeping a clean registry. You start threads complaining about USMB not working, when the actual problem appears to be YOUR COMPUTER. You don't have time to learn this basic, easy stuff, but you have time to waste having the problems and complaining about them?

The fact that others experience problems means absolutely nothing, as I have also explained here. It's anecdotal. Again, if your whole system is freezing up it's not the site you're on which is causing it.

It's not freeze-up. Scuse me for using the word. Just taking an inordinate time to "load."

When several were having trouble with an invasion (wrong word?) a few weeks ago, I not only did a restore, but once that was done, I did an entire scan using existing Norton which took about an hour and a half. I also removed Internet Explorer and installed Firefox. Then I ran ANOTHER scan. Since everything seemed to be working perfectly thereafter, I didn't think it was necessary after all that to do yet another scan by HijackThis.

Again, if my questions annoy you for some odd reason, then just move on. Frankly, for all the silly shit that appears as opening threads in the myriad topic categories, I don't understand why you seem to be intolerable of a simple question posted for other members to reply to if they so desire. Jeezus, you must have had a cow when I asked for hints on buying a used car.

It's not freeze-up. Scuse me for using the word. Just taking an inordinate time to "load."

When several were having trouble with an invasion (wrong word?) a few weeks ago, I not only did a restore, but once that was done, I did an entire scan using existing Norton which took about an hour and a half. I also removed Internet Explorer and installed Firefox. Then I ran ANOTHER scan. Since everything seemed to be working perfectly thereafter, I didn't think it was necessary after all that to do yet another scan by HijackThis.

Again, if my questions annoy you for some odd reason, then just move on. Frankly, for all the silly shit that appears as opening threads in the myriad topic categories, I don't understand why you seem to be intolerable of a simple question posted for other members to reply to if they so desire. Jeezus, you must have had a cow when I asked for hints on buying a used car.
IE cannot be readily removed from a windows machine, as it's part of the operating system. It's still there, and still accessing the internet without your knowledge. Even when you're not using it. The way to stop this is to use windows media player (which uses IE, also without your knowledge) and go File>Work Offline and keep it there. Check this setting periodically, as there are certain programs both legitimate and not, which will turn IE back "on" without your knowledge or permission.

If you believe you need no further scans, but are still having problems, there is no help for you actually. You are having these problems for a reason, it's not some "hackers" and it's not some natural phenomena. ALL internet sites, including USMB, experience load delays on occasion. We all experience it, and 99% of the time it doesn't indicate a problem of any sort. It's part of the internet experience.

If you believe the known piece of junk Norton is protecting you, then your ignorance of such matters is confirmed once again. Earlier you said you downloaded HT and stinger, and they "didn't find anything" and it's clear now you never ran the scans. Why download the programs then not use them? They will do your machine no harm at all, and likely will find junk that Norton won't, because Norton isn't designed to look for the items these two tools are.

And by the way, when you ask for help you really should listen to those who provide it. Otherwise, stop asking. If you don't like my replies, ignore them.

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity of your magnitude cannot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back