Using the "funny" option to mock and ridicule.

I use "funny" to mock, it's pretty benign compared to what some do....I also use it when I find stuff, well - funny. Again, compared to negs - it's benign. Compared with some who follow you around accusing you of horrible deeds - it's pretty benign. I've had funny's aimed at me many times...well...so what? Often the chief complainers are the ones who have stuck a funny on me at one time or another. I don't tend to use it much in CDZ, but then again - there is no rule about it in CDZ and as a moderator I would not want to be second guessing intent in this matter. I don't think it's that much of a big deal and it's easily ignored.

I'm a little short of funnies, can you loan me some?
I've been bonging mine...

It'll cost you....inflation you know..

I'm not giving up any of my funnies! :p

I could give you a deal on a twofer....

I don't have my glasses on, and I thought that read "twoofer".

I was getting ready to PM you to ask that you keep Dale away from me. lol

Umh...I'm not touching Dale....just saying.....
So do we meet in a dark alley for da funny?

Get in my car MG.

Now, I realize you folks did away with the neg rep for a reason, but there has been an increased usage of the "funny" option by posters who do so solely for the purpose to mock and ridicule serious postings. Now, I realize this is allowed by site policy throughout the forum since the one person who follows me around doing so is a mod. I don't question this policy and am fine with it.

This place has a "clean debate" zone, however, and this practice also occurs in the clean debate -- usually by those with extremely partisan views. It doesn't seem to me that such mockery and derision should be part of this "clean debate" since it is an obvious provocation and amounts to trolling.

I think you folks should reconsider its use in a forum devoted to clean debate.

You just let everyone know it irritates you ...Bad move in my view. You'll simply get more of something that irritates you as a result.

I don't usually use the funny button to mock posts I disagree with, but I don't disagree with those who do. If anything it's people like me who try getting into an actual debate with those people who are the real fools. Using it to mock others just reminds me of the old gag in the cartoon 2 Stupid Dogs.

"Well isn't that cute... but IT'S WRONG!"

Get in my car MG.
gif+mr+burns.gif

Unfortunately, the CDZ has morphed into something other than a clean debate forum. .

It should be called the "March in lockstep with politically-correct authoritarians or else", forum.

It's open season on anybody who isn't part of the hive mind.

Wait, you ridicule the "hive mind" and "authoritarians" in the same post where you demand that no one use the 'Funny' button on posts in a certain forum? lol Really?

No demands, there, dude. Just a suggestion.

There is one group of people who are made so uncomfortable by any post that does not conform to their rigid orthodoxy that they immediately ridicule anybody who is not one of them.

If you think such playground antics constitutes "clean debate", then so be it. Seems to me that if a forum says "clean debate" and those of a specific political bent are allowed to mock anybody who does not march in lockstep with them when others can't, then there isn't any debate at all, much less one that is clean.
No, what’s being ridiculed are the faulty reasoning, lack of critical thinking skills, and logical fallacies that render a given post in fact ridiculous, having nothing whatsoever to do with being “uncomfortable” or conforming to “ridged orthodoxy.”

You just let everyone know it irritates you ...Bad move in my view. You'll simply get more of something that irritates you as a result.

Oh, I knew how they would respond. They are extremely predictable.

I just wanted them to announce who they are.

I'm a little short of funnies, can you loan me some?
I've been bonging mine...

Just offer him some toothpaste, that seems to make him more docile. ;)

It's already been announced. Did you miss all those threads, started by Stephanie, about the funny button?

What's wrong with rating a post as funny? I don't get what the complaint is. Some people's posts are actually funny. Some are "funny" in a different way. :dunno: It's not a conspiracy on my part. Lol. Some posts might be so ridiculous that they are funny, you know?

Unfortunately, the CDZ has morphed into something other than a clean debate forum. .

It should be called the "March in lockstep with politically-correct authoritarians or else", forum.

It's open season on anybody who isn't part of the hive mind.

Wait, you ridicule the "hive mind" and "authoritarians" in the same post where you demand that no one use the 'Funny' button on posts in a certain forum? lol Really?
The CDZ is supposed to be for "Clean Debate".
Mocking is not part of clean debate.
bwahahahaha. clean debate as defined by tilly.

sure some people can be pretty obnoxious around here, but get a grip, it's just a button...

just like with the old rep system, imo hitting a communication button is MUCH less offensive than the ton of disgusting things that are overtly expressed on this forum on a daily basis...

expressing your reaction to a post with a button may feeeeel like mockery but making a spectacle of yourself with multiple threads crying about being "mocked" by a funny button is really just asking for more mockery.

Forum List

Back