Using the "funny" option to mock and ridicule.

Unfortunately, the CDZ has morphed into something other than a clean debate forum. But perhaps we need a new rating to indicate disagreement. I realize that would potentially change the rating statistics requiring a total positive ratings and a total negative ratings.

The new system did have a 'disagree' button when it was first installed. But because of its overuse by numbnuts and trolls, members would log in with 10 - 20 - 30 - 50 notifications that would be nothing but disagree. I have to believe some PMed all their buddies to pile on. Seasoned members shrugged it off but it made for an entirely unwelcoming environment for newbies.

Now the 'funny' votes by the numbnuts and trolls are at least fairly benign and innocuous. Certain members here think they're being clever when they put funny on a serious and substantive post. But we know who they are and they are easily ignored. We can at least choose the people we respect and appreciate and only click on their comments to see what it is they were commenting on. People with honest disagreement will articulate it and those I can appreciate as much as those who agree.

Last edited:
I use "funny" to mock, it's pretty benign compared to what some do....I also use it when I find stuff, well - funny. Again, compared to negs - it's benign. Compared with some who follow you around accusing you of horrible deeds - it's pretty benign. I've had funny's aimed at me many times...well...so what? Often the chief complainers are the ones who have stuck a funny on me at one time or another. I don't tend to use it much in CDZ, but then again - there is no rule about it in CDZ and as a moderator I would not want to be second guessing intent in this matter. I don't think it's that much of a big deal and it's easily ignored.

You're right it can be ignored. But I think mocking should be done out in the open with words, not a semi-anonymous button. I use the funny button when somebody makes an intentionally funny post. I don't use it for anything else.

I'm not giving up any of my funnies! :p

I could give you a deal on a twofer....

I don't have my glasses on, and I thought that read "twoofer".

I was getting ready to PM you to ask that you keep Dale away from me. lol

Umh...I'm not touching Dale....just saying.....
So do we meet in a dark alley for da funny?

Get in my car MG.
Dibs on video rights!

You're right it can be ignored. But I think mocking should be done out in the open with words, not a semi-anonymous button. I use the funny button when somebody makes an intentionally funny post. I don't use it for anything else.

there is nothing semi-anonymous about the funny button. Anyone who wants to see who funnied a post can easily do so.

By the way, I funnied your post, because it was humorous.

not-mine-but-was-funny_o_874910.jpg

I agree, but Dogmaphobe is saying that shouldn't be happening in the CDZ specifically, which I agree with. It matters less, if at all, elsewhere.

Seems an easy enough concept to me. If it is to be a clean debate forum, why allow those threatened by any idea that falls outside of their collective mind to ridicule any who dare to be different?

"Clean" debate? It's more like a bunch of "Heathers".
Maybe the real question is...why are you threatens by funnies?

there is nothing semi-anonymous about the funny button. Anyone who wants to see who funnied a post can easily do so.

By the way, I funnied your post, because it was humorous.

Right. And I do appreciate that anybody can see the names who mock a serious post just because they disagree with it. We at least can see who are the sort of people who do that. At least we know we hit a nerve. :)

I still appreciate those folks who use the funny button to appreciate humor and not to mock though. But oh well. Whatever floats somebody's boat.

Right. And I do appreciate that anybody can see the names who mock a serious post just because they disagree with it. We at least can see who are the sort of people who do that. At least we know we hit a nerve. :)

I still appreciate those folks who use the funny button to appreciate humor and not to mock though. But oh well. Whatever floats somebody's boat.

Perhaps you didn't hit a nerve, perhaps your post was just so far off base or so absurdly butthurt that it was laughable.

And I don't mean your post specifically.

Well, wait, yes I do.

sure some people can be pretty obnoxious around here, but get a grip, it's just a button...

just like with the old rep system, imo hitting a communication button is MUCH less offensive than the ton of disgusting things that are overtly expressed on this forum on a daily basis...

expressing your reaction to a post with a button may feeeeel like mockery but making a spectacle of yourself with multiple threads crying about being "mocked" by a funny button is really just asking for more mockery.
Some people have big buttons, lol.

This is hysterical. The USMB Hegemony, which got rid of Neg Rep due to a bunch of whinging cry babies, has now added Funny & Agree to the Ratings options. So what this indicates is that we now have Neg Rep in the form of Plain Old Funnies, but it counts as positive in the Ratings total. So, Neg Rep is now a Participation Trophy instead of having any real meaning.

Thanks Hegemony!

This is hysterical. The USMB Hegemony, which got rid of Neg Rep due to a bunch of whinging cry babies, has now added Funny & Agree to the Ratings options. So what this indicates is that we now have Neg Rep in the form of Plain Old Funnies, but it counts as positive in the Ratings total. So, Neg Rep is now a Participation Trophy instead of having any real meaning.

Thanks Hegemony!
No Child Left Behind

There are a dozen types of "funny".. Can't have a button for all of them.
Maybe just a "smart funny" and a "stupid funny" would cover most types of funny..
Except that "stupid funny" might be misinterpretated by the Millennials around here..

Funny is funny. Period.
Informative means "I didn't know that but it's informative".
Agree means I agree.
Thank you is thanks for saying what I couldn't say better or didn't think of or just a flat out THANK YOU for saying what you said, regardless.
Agree and funny is dumb. But now we have a dumb. So....either the dumb pusher is dumb or the person he dumbed is dumb.

Oy.

This is going to be confusing.

And for the record, I have funnied someone being serious because I find her repugnant and if it ticked her off..I did it more. Beats a neg that lowered their whateveritwas when we had it.

Now, I realize you folks did away with the neg rep for a reason, but there has been an increased usage of the "funny" option by posters who do so solely for the purpose to mock and ridicule serious postings. Now, I realize this is allowed by site policy throughout the forum since the one person who follows me around doing so is a mod. I don't question this policy and am fine with it.

This place has a "clean debate" zone, however, and this practice also occurs in the clean debate -- usually by those with extremely partisan views. It doesn't seem to me that such mockery and derision should be part of this "clean debate" since it is an obvious provocation and amounts to trolling.

I think you folks should reconsider its use in a forum devoted to clean debate.

It amazes me that people would come on to a forum designed for debate, and then simply use the funny button and not actually reply to a post. If they're so sure it's "funny" then they should easily be able to say why and back this up in an intelligent way.

Forum List

Back