us One is dead - College football is getting a 4 team playoff

Now I think an 8 team playoff would be mch better, but at least the BCS system is on its way out and the Plus One would have just been an extension of that.

Let the best teams play and give us a real champion.
Best eight teams selected after the last January 1 bowl game.
Three week play-off starting...?
Championship game played the day before the Super Bowl??

Right now Colleges play their last regular season game around Thanksgiving and take off five weeks to crown their champion in mid January

I would rather see eight team playoffs starting in mid December before he NFL playoffs start

Great so we will get to see more bowl games in the south with 3 SEC teams and Oklahomo.

That is not because of any bias. We just have the best teams.

Maybe USC will do something this year. They seem the likely candidate to lose the National Championship game in 2013.
Sam Cunningham would just like to point out how good SEC teams have become since discovering some black men really can play football.

Thanks for the 45 year old news flash.

Now I think an 8 team playoff would be mch better, but at least the BCS system is on its way out and the Plus One would have just been an extension of that.

Let the best teams play and give us a real champion.
Best eight teams selected after the last January 1 bowl game.
Three week play-off starting...?
Championship game played the day before the Super Bowl??

Right now Colleges play their last regular season game around Thanksgiving and take off five weeks to crown their champion in mid January

I would rather see eight team playoffs starting in mid December before he NFL playoffs start

Either way works for me. Just get us a real playoff system. I am hoping that the 4 team playoff is just a precursor to a bigger tournament.

It would be great (for Bama fans) if we could get a bigger playoff system before Saban retires.

That is not because of any bias. We just have the best teams.

Maybe USC will do something this year. They seem the likely candidate to lose the National Championship game in 2013.
Sam Cunningham would just like to point out how good SEC teams have become since discovering some black men really can play football.

42 years...seems like yesterday to some of us old timers:

"He (Sam Cunningham) had a notable performance (135 yards, 2 touchdowns) against an all-white University of Alabama football team, as USC beat Alabama 42-21 in Birmingham on September 12, 1970.

"His performance in the game was reportedly a factor in convincing the University of Alabama and its fans to let Coach Bear Bryant integrate Southern football. Jerry Claiborne, a former Bryant assistant, said, 'Sam Cunningham did more to integrate Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King did in 20 years.'"

Sam Cunningham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"He (Sam Cunningham) had a notable performance (135 yards, 2 touchdowns) against an all-white University of Alabama football team, as USC beat Alabama 42-21 in Birmingham on September 12, 1970.

"His performance in the game was reportedly a factor in convincing the University of Alabama and its fans to let Coach Bear Bryant integrate Southern football. Jerry Claiborne, a former Bryant assistant, said, 'Sam Cunningham did more to integrate Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King did in 20 years.'"

I guess I am missing the point about how this is relevant to the topic? Other than an attempt to slam the reigning NCAA football champions or mock the team that has arguably done better in the last few years than any other, I don't see why bringing up a 4 decade old issue is relevant. It was not the coaching staff at UA that was teh problem.

And that wasn't even a very good USC team.

They went 6-4-1 in both 1970 and 1971.

In 1972 - after Cunningham scored 4 TDs against against Ohio St in the Rose Bowl to cap a 12-0 season - John McKay asked: "Is there anybody else the AP wants us to play?"

In 1972 - after Cunningham scored 4 TDs against against Ohio St in the Rose Bowl to cap a 12-0 season - John McKay asked: "Is there anybody else the AP wants us to play?"

I am not surprised you joined in on the attempted history lesson. I guess a fan of ND has to look back to the glory days.

It must really bother you that the Crimson Tide are doing better than pretty much anyone else. Especially since your vaunted Notre Dame has only finished the season ranked in the top 10 (AP) one time since the mid 90s.

Hopefully you will realize that what happened in th 60s in football is irrelevant to the topic?

Hopefully you will realize that what happened in th 60s in football is irrelevant to the topic?

Are we going to talk about OJ next?

Great so we will get to see more bowl games in the south with 3 SEC teams and Oklahomo.

We'll see what they come up with on Tuesday. I would strongly favor allowing only one team per conference.

Amen! Having a non-conference championship team playing for the national championship like last year was crazy.

What would have been crazy is to not allow Alabama to play because of a rule that didn't exist.

The BCS Championship criteria does not include winning a conference championship. Otherwise, no independent team could ever play for the championship.

The BCS was put into place to put the #1 and the #2 teams in a game for the championship. It did that.

We'll see what they come up with on Tuesday. I would strongly favor allowing only one team per conference.

Amen! Having a non-conference championship team playing for the national championship like last year was crazy.

What would have been crazy is to not allow Alabama to play because of a rule that didn't exist.

The BCS Championship criteria does not include winning a conference championship. Otherwise, no independent team could ever play for the championship.

The BCS was put into place to put the #1 and the #2 teams in a game for the championship. It did that.

Since the rules change from year to year, they're a moving target.

Since the rules change from year to year, they're a moving target.

But the only way to have prevented Bama from playing would have been to change the rules at the end of the season and make them apply instantly. And that would have been seriously screwed up.

We had the #1 and the #2 teams playing. That is what the BCS was set up to do.

Are we going to talk about OJ next?

McKay was thinking about the Miami Dolphins.................................

Ok ginscpy, I created a thread just for you to wax philisophic about glory days gone by.

Maybe you can stay on topic in other threads now?

like when President Nixon won 48 out of 50 states in 1972 - my first vote -despite Shirley MacLame and the Hollywood liberals campaigning for McGovern.

like when President Nixon won 48 out of 50 states in 1972 - my first vote -despite Shirley MacLame and the Hollywood liberals campaigning for McGovern.

Actually, this is just as relevant to the topic as your discussion of John McKay.

Let me know when you want to discuss the actual topic of the thread.

Forum List

Back