us One is dead - College football is getting a 4 team playoff

Except that WHO was considered #2 was debateable.

Oh? And who would you have put above Alabama?

"The only team with a remote chance of passing Alabama at the 11th-hour is Oklahoma State should it beat 9-2 Oklahoma impressively this weekend, though it will take a near-universal about-face from the voters, who currently have the Cowboys fifth. (They're third in the overall standings thanks to the computers.) Bring up this possibility to an Alabama fan, and he or she will of course laugh in your face, pointing out first and foremost that Mike Gundy's team lost to Iowa State.

However, if this were the NCAA basketball tournament,

Buts its NOT. Why does everyone want to turn College football into college basketball? We already have college basketball, assholes.

where the committee members speak of teams' "bodies of work," they'd be comparing the following two résumés (assuming an Oklahoma State victory this weekend):

• Wins over current BCS Top 25 teams: Oklahoma State: 5, Alabama: 2.

• Wins over current BCS Top 50 teams: Oklahoma State: 7, Alabama: 5.

• Wins over FBS teams with winning records: Oklahoma State: 6, Alabama: 3.

• Conference titles: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

• Losses to Iowa State: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

On paper, the Cowboys will have achieved more than the Tide. In real life, however, this is not a debate that's even being given serious consideration (at least yet) for one simple reason: Alabama has a track record; Oklahoma State does not. SEC teams win national championships. Big 12 teams, at least lately, do not. But let's see what happens Saturday night in Stillwater. Voters can be heavily swayed by last impressions. In fact, that's how this whole SEC domination cycle began, back when Florida jumped ahead of Michigan in 2006, warding off a potential Ohio State rematch.

Ultimately, an LSU-Alabama rematch will neither help nor hurt college football. People will watch. They'll accept the result, even if it's a Tide victory that overrides the first meeting. It's happened before (see Florida-Florida State in 1997) and it may happen again.

But the BCS will need to come up with a new slogan, because its current one will soon ring hollow. Here's a simple alteration: "Every game counts ... except when it doesn't.""

Read more: LSU-Alabama rematch makes mockery of BCS system - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

But I think you already knew that. You're lucky, your team won out on getting to play the championship. If they hadn't, you'd be the one complaining. There is a bias for the SEC, pure and simple and it helped Alabama get the game.

If Alabama had played OSU for the NC game OSU would have fired its entire coaching staff by now. It would have been a blow-out of unparalleled proportions. In fact - did you happen to notice that Alabama blew EVERY TEAM IT PLAYED out of the water, EXCEPT LSU in November - who itself blew EVERY TEAM IT PLAYED out of the water - except Bama in the NC?

Getting the drift here? The ONLY teams that could even come close to beating LSU and Alabama were LSU and Alabama - NOT OSU AND NOT IOWA FUCKING STATE for crissakes.

Last edited:

No one in their right mind can deny that the BCS didn't work just the way it was supposed to in 2011. Undeniably - the best two teams in the nation were in that game, and the best team won.

We had already seen that game and knew the outcome.
That doesn't even make sense.

I'm real sorry that the SEC is the pre-dominant team in college football, and I'm really sorry that college football isn't college basketball. I know those two facts disturb you.

"The only team with a remote chance of passing Alabama at the 11th-hour is Oklahoma State should it beat 9-2 Oklahoma impressively this weekend, though it will take a near-universal about-face from the voters, who currently have the Cowboys fifth. (They're third in the overall standings thanks to the computers.) Bring up this possibility to an Alabama fan, and he or she will of course laugh in your face, pointing out first and foremost that Mike Gundy's team lost to Iowa State.

Buts its NOT. Why does everyone want to turn College football into college basketball? We already have college basketball, assholes.

where the committee members speak of teams' "bodies of work," they'd be comparing the following two résumés (assuming an Oklahoma State victory this weekend):

On paper, the Cowboys will have achieved more than the Tide. In real life, however, this is not a debate that's even being given serious consideration (at least yet) for one simple reason: Alabama has a track record; Oklahoma State does not. SEC teams win national championships. Big 12 teams, at least lately, do not. But let's see what happens Saturday night in Stillwater. Voters can be heavily swayed by last impressions. In fact, that's how this whole SEC domination cycle began, back when Florida jumped ahead of Michigan in 2006, warding off a potential Ohio State rematch.

Ultimately, an LSU-Alabama rematch will neither help nor hurt college football. People will watch. They'll accept the result, even if it's a Tide victory that overrides the first meeting. It's happened before (see Florida-Florida State in 1997) and it may happen again.

But the BCS will need to come up with a new slogan, because its current one will soon ring hollow. Here's a simple alteration: "Every game counts ... except when it doesn't.""

Read more: LSU-Alabama rematch makes mockery of BCS system - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

But I think you already knew that. You're lucky, your team won out on getting to play the championship. If they hadn't, you'd be the one complaining. There is a bias for the SEC, pure and simple and it helped Alabama get the game.

If Alabama had played OSU for the NC game OSU would have fired its entire coaching staff by now. It would have been a blow-out of unparalleled proportions. In fact - did you happen to notice that Alabama blew EVERY TEAM IT PLAYED out of the water, EXCEPT LSU in November - who itself blew EVERY TEAM IT PLAYED out of the water - except Bama in the NC?

Getting the drift here? The ONLY teams that could even come close to beating LSU and Alabama were LSU and Alabama - NOT OSU AND NOT IOWA FUCKING STATE for crissakes.

People were upset because there was no high flying offense in the championship game. Nevermind what wins, they want to see lots of scoring.

Both LSU and Alabama had offensive weapons. But what they really had more of was defense. And that game was college football defense at its best.

No one in their right mind can deny that the BCS didn't work just the way it was supposed to in 2011. Undeniably - the best two teams in the nation were in that game, and the best team won.

I'm real sorry that the SEC is the pre-dominant team in college football, and I'm really sorry that college football isn't college basketball. I know those two facts disturb you.

The only teams that didn't get destroyed by LSU were Alabama and MS State. Funny that the team that was ranked #5 in the western division of the SEC held LSU to only 19 points, when the rest of the teams got slaughtered. If MS State didn't have to play LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and Auburn every year, they would be winning championships. Look what they did to Michigan in the bowl game in January of 2011.

People were upset because there was no high flying offense in the championship game. Nevermind what wins, they want to see lots of scoring.

If they want a lot of scoring - they should try basketball. I hear basketball also has a nice playoff bracket.

Both LSU and Alabama had offensive weapons. But what they really had more of was defense. And that game was college football defense at its best.

Both of the LSU-Bama games this past year were defense at its best.

What should disturb them is that either LSU or Bama will likely be in the NC game at the end of the 2012 season too.

At least all the SEC haters got to see something that they have not seen since the BCS system was introduced in 1998. They got to see an SEC team lose in the BCS Championship game.

So at least now you know how to do that. You have to put another SEC team in the game to beat them.

If they want a lot of scoring - they should try basketball. I hear basketball also has a nice playoff bracket.

Both of the LSU-Bama games this past year were defense at its best.

That is a fact. Both teams scored plenty against everyone else, but it took 7 quarters of play and 1 overtime to see a single touchdown scored.

What should disturb them is that either LSU or Bama will likely be in the NC game at the end of the 2012 season too.

LOL! That would be too awesome! A rematch-rematch! After last year's game, most LSU's fans thought it could never be made right, no matter how many times we pummel bama in the future - if its not in the title game - it won't make it right.

At least all the SEC haters got to see something that they have not seen since the BCS system was introduced in 1998. They got to see an SEC team lose in the BCS Championship game.

So at least now you know how to do that. You have to put another SEC team in the game to beat them.

And soon they'll get to see all non-SEC schools eliminated in the semi-final round.

I remember listentenin to the1974 USC -ND game when I was driving back from work.

ND was up 17-0. (was surprised)

ND up 24-6 at half.

Then AD ran kickoff back forTD

Final scoreUSC 55 ND 24

LOL! That would be too awesome! A rematch-rematch! After last year's game, most LSU's fans thought it could never be made right, no matter how many times we pummel bama in the future - if its not in the title game - it won't make it right.

And soon they'll get to see all non-SEC schools eliminated in the semi-final round.

An All SEC playoff? Works for me!

Boy would that steam the SEC haters or what? lol

But I see one or the other (LSU or Bama) being in the big game this year. Arkansas worries me, because they have one of the top QBs and one of the top RBs. But one team that plays in the last regular BCS Championship game will be decided in Nov in Baton Rouge.

I remember listentenin to the1974 USC -ND game when I was driving back from work.

ND up 24-6 at half.

Final scoreUSC 55 ND 24

Notre Dame used to have a football team? Cool!

And the fun news for 2012? The pre-season polls (largely irrelevant, I know) have 7 SEC teams ranked in the top 25, and 4 in the top 10.

Gotta love SEC Football!!

But I see one or the other (LSU or Bama) being in the big game this year. Arkansas worries me, because they have one of the top QBs and one of the top RBs. But one team that plays in the last regular BCS Championship game will be decided in Nov in Baton Rouge.

Arkansas always fucks it up at the end.

Arkansas always fucks it up at the end.

Yeah, they have been like Georgia in that respect. But maybe the new head coach can bring them closer.

ND up 24-6 at half.

Final scoreUSC 55 ND 24

And the fun news for 2012? The pre-season polls (largely irrelevant, I know) have 7 SEC teams ranked in the top 25, and 4 in the top 10.

but ND bear Bama in thew Orange Bowl the next game.

Forgott that littliedetair??????????????????????????????????????????/

but ND bear Bama in thew Orange Bowl the next game.

Forgott that littliedetair??????????????????????????????????????????/

I haven't forgotten anything. The difference is that I can look at recent seasons and cheer. You have to go back how far???

Semi final games will be in rotating bowl games on New Years Eve and New Years with the championship a week later

Four teams chosen by Comittee rather than polls

Forum List

Back