US aircraft carriers in worst shape in decades

Are they in good enough shape to protect the borders of the US from a hostile invasion?

Then I'm good.

I never said we did. Maybe that reading comprehension course at auburn didn't do as much as you thought.

But not every nation uses their navy the same way we do.

I asked you a question. Do you know what a question is? Take "a second" and see if can figure it out.

I ignored the question about conducting exercises in the South Pacific. It was irrelevant to Sweden’s use of diesel subs. And I simply pointed out that Sweden using them to defend their coast didn’t seem like nothing. A boat that is incredibly hard to find makes a very credible threat.

If we were doing exercises in Long Island Sound, it would make sense for us to have diesel-electric subs. Since we don't, ...

BTW, have you ever heard of a diesel-boats arch enemy? It's called active sonar. Maybe you have heard of it.

Yes, I have heard of it. It makes you an excellent target.

Also, there is a range limitation for sonar. If you know there is a sub in the area, it is great. Also, subs can sit on the bottom and confuse active sonar.

You are so full of shit! What was your rating while on the sub? SK was it? I think you have watched too many WWII movies and think those rules still apply.

Active sonar kills diesel subs because they have no defense. It does not make the surface ship a target. Also, there are these little things called sonobuoys that work exceptionally well. Those can be active too, you know!

Without getting into classified information, it is readily apparent that you are simply talking out of your ass.

Active sonar can indeed make a surface ship a target. The diesel sub is no more vulnerable to sonar than a nuke boat. And I guarantee that the sun already knows where the surface fleet ships are, because of the noise they make.

And sonobuoys are great. But I know for a fact that they have a very limited range. You have to know where to deploy them, so you have to have a good idea where the sub is before you put them out there.

Just curious, where & when did you earn your dolphins?

I asked you a question. Do you know what a question is? Take "a second" and see if can figure it out.

I ignored the question about conducting exercises in the South Pacific. It was irrelevant to Sweden’s use of diesel subs. And I simply pointed out that Sweden using them to defend their coast didn’t seem like nothing. A boat that is incredibly hard to find makes a very credible threat.

If we were doing exercises in Long Island Sound, it would make sense for us to have diesel-electric subs. Since we don't, ...

BTW, have you ever heard of a diesel-boats arch enemy? It's called active sonar. Maybe you have heard of it.

Also, there is a range limitation for sonar. If you know there is a sub in the area, it is great. Also, subs can sit on the bottom and confuse active sonar.

You are so full of shit! What was your rating while on the sub? SK was it? I think you have watched too many WWII movies and think those rules still apply.

Active sonar kills diesel subs because they have no defense. It does not make the surface ship a target. Also, there are these little things called sonobuoys that work exceptionally well. Those can be active too, you know!

Without getting into classified information, it is readily apparent that you are simply talking out of your ass.

Active sonar can indeed make a surface ship a target. The diesel sub is no more vulnerable to sonar than a nuke boat. And I guarantee that the sun already knows where the surface fleet ships are, because of the noise they make.

And sonobuoys are great. But I know for a fact that they have a very limited range. You have to know where to deploy them, so you have to have a good idea where the sub is before you put them out there.

Again, you are using WWII tactics and technology for your assessment. Punt, Bama, punt!

USS John C. Calhoun (SSBN-630) Gold 1980.

Active sonar can be heard at 10x the distance it can get a return.

...and your point is?

If you cannot move fast enough to get into position to attack, what difference does it make? All you can do is sit tight and hope they don't see you.

This is not WWII!

If you are in a hostile area, you’ll have your tubes flooded and ready. A sub will hear the surface noise from a distance. The sub doesn’t have to be fast. The torpedoes are fast enough. If I remember correctly, they can run 50+ knots.

Again, you are using WWII tactics and technology for your assessment. Punt, Bama, punt!

I am using the tactics used by nuke boats in the 1980s.

And nothing I posted in that comment mentioned anything inaccurate. The sonobuoys can only be deployed when you know roughly where the sub is. The sub does know where the surface ships are from the noise. Which of those comments are you calling WWII tactics?

And nothing I posted in that comment mentioned anything inaccurate. The sonobuoys can only be deployed when you know roughly where the sub is. The sub does know where the surface ships are from the noise. Which of those comments are you calling WWII tactics?

We have ways, and you just don't know about them because SKs did not need to know,

We have ways, and you just don't know about them because SKs did not need to know,

Bullshit. My being an SK has nothing to do with it. I stood watch on the conn and in sonar.

And deploying sonobuoys without having a reasonable idea that a sub was in the area is wasting resources.

And if you served on a boomer, you know that surface ships make a lot of noise. And boomers are excellent at running silent and running deep.

Look up when the Calhoun was in the shipyard being refitted to carry trident missiles.

We are done.

I would love to see a face off between you 2 using modern nav war program or table top sim....forgot name of one my friends used.

Last edited:

Bullshit. My being an SK has nothing to do with it. I stood watch on the conn and in sonar.

And deploying sonobuoys without having a reasonable idea that a sub was in the area is wasting resources.

And if you served on a boomer, you know that surface ships make a lot of noise. And boomers are excellent at running silent and running deep.

Yeah! I will believe that about the time I get my third set of teeth!

There is no way you could know what I am talking about because you have no need nor ever had a need to know. You have been shown as the simpleton that you are. You know a few tidbits and think you see the big picture. Unfortunately you are looking the wrong direction! I'm done. You cannot hand with the discussion because you have no background to relate. Your reading comprehension sucks too!

Yeah! I will believe that about the time I get my third set of teeth!

There is no way you could know what I am talking about because you have no need nor ever had a need to know. You have been shown as the simpleton that you are. You know a few tidbits and think you see the big picture. Unfortunately you are looking the wrong direction! I'm done. You cannot hand with the discussion because you have no background to relate. Your reading comprehension sucks too!

Right. Its classified. Lol.

I have a background that includes service on a submarine that sonobuoys could not locate, even when they knew we were in the area.

Look up when the Calhoun was in the shipyard being refitted to carry trident missiles.

We are done.

Why? Are you accusing me of lying? We already had the Trident (C-4) missiles in 1980. We were on patrol when Mount St. Helens blew up. The top song was "Funkytown" by Lips Inc. We were homeported in Kings Bay, GA before the base there even existed. Our officer's club was a house!

We are done.

Why? Are you accusing me of lying? We already had the Trident (C-4) missiles in 1980. We were on patrol when Mount St. Helens blew up. The top song was "Funkytown" by Lips Inc. We were homeported in Kings Bay, GA before the base there even existed.

Are you accusing me of lying about my watch on the con or on sonar?

We are done.

Why? Are you accusing me of lying? We already had the Trident (C-4) missiles in 1980. We were on patrol when Mount St. Helens blew up. The top song was "Funkytown" by Lips Inc. We were homeported in Kings Bay, GA before the base there even existed.

No. I believe that. I also believe you had no fucking clue about anything operational simply because you are clueless now, so you must have been clueless then!

We are done.

No. I believe that. I also believe you had no fucking clue about anything operational simply because you are clueless now, so you must have been clueless then!

And yet, you offer no details about what I am clueless about?

Are you saying sonobuoys are deployed without knowing there is a sub in the immediate area?

We are done.

And yet, you offer no details about what I am clueless about?

Are you saying sonobuoys are deployed without knowing there is a sub in the immediate area?

We have ways to know when they are in the area. The technology is pre-1980s, so if you actually knew anything. You should know about it.

My mistake......thought they'd built more.......have to check the web.............but there are 8 LHD's.........served on LHD-1 and actually helped build a little on LHD-4.

LHDs are not carriers as the fixed wing aircraft are a secondary mission.
They still pack a punch..........and the Gator Navy does these rolls as well............I served on LHD-1.........last deployment was Somalia........at the time we had AV8's..............

While they are not an aircraft carrier........the big dogs.........they still can be used for presence without a carrier in the area..............My first ship was the Reeves..........stationed out of Yokosuka...........which is primarily a rapid response group for the region............I'm sure that is still the same as way back when...............We did tanker escort missions back in the day............didn't participate in the 1st Gulf War.......as we were hit by a 500 pounder off Diego by a Fa/18 off the Midway

Rolls? What kind of rolls? Onion rolls, Kaiser rolls? Crescent rolls?

How many AV-8Bs did you have? Normally, the complement was about 6. Which means in a shooting war, they would last about that many minutes.

We almost invaded Haiti with one LHA. Guess how many AV-8Bs we had?

None.
Yawn.................you are too full of yourself.............While you get your facts pretty good they still can be freaking used as a presence in those regions for rotation.................No they don't have the capabilities of the CVN's.........We deployed with the 24th MEU to Somalia...........the ROLL added with Jelly was to protect the food supplies and hunt out the War Lords.......the ROLL with butter was a training exercise with Kuwait during the same time frame........We did not have a Carrier back up for those Rolls with bacon...........

There are 3 Rolls for food in my post.......and 2 Rolls for the military assignment at the time.

Stop being so sanctimonious.

I get that way when dealing with amateurs who do not have the facts straight or underestimate the experience I have.

Nice reply on the rolls.
Whatever ,...chill the hell out with that ego Admiral

Only in your intellectually arrested mind do "tax cut economics" exist.

An entirely irrelevant diversion....But were I as wrong as you, as often as you are, I'd want to change the subject too.
The right wing has no real agenda other than cutting taxes. Tax cut economics.

Not at all; There is no "war on crime, drugs, or terror" if the right wing refuses to pay wartime tax rates for them. Nothing but right wing propaganda concerning, Discretionary not Entitlement Spending.

Wars on crime, drugs, and terror require wartime tax rates, not tax cut economics.

Exactly what is “wartime tax rates”?
In consideration of the monstrous sacrifice in property and blood that each war demands of the people, personal enrichment through a war must be designated as a crime against the people. Therefore, we demand the total confiscation of all war profits.

So capitalism is strictly a peacetime economic model? Horseshit.
actually, yes, it is.

WWII brought us out of the Great Recession and it was through command economics, not capitalism.

Capitalism can, simply not be trusted, when it is really really important.

Your economic ignorance is only exceeded by your desire to share it with the rest of us. During the run up to and through World War II, the U.S. government purchased massive amounts of war materials which stimulated our capitalist system. In addition, the war took 12 million men and women out of the work force. That is what finally ended the Great Depression. American capitalism created, in four short years, more war materials than was created by all other participants in the war.

Forum List

Back