U.S. doctor who moved to Ont. shares observations on Canadian health care

That's BS. Canadians do not come in any great number to the US for health care. What a load.

Not bull shit, it's a fact. I've taken care of them myself. You don't believe me because you don't want to. Doesn't change the fact that I'm right.

Anonymous posters on message boards can claim anything. If you had some actual statistics from the world beyond USMB to support your claim, they'd lend it some validity.

I don't give a fuck wether you believe me or not. You are nothing but a lying left wing nut job. NOBODY cares what you think.

PredFan is in Orlando. Canadians come here on vacation.....and as a result, he might see a few in whatever hospital he works at.

But....they aren't coming to Orlando for health care that they can't get in Canada.

This is an example of a nutbag being dishonest.

No one is more dishonest than you are, or nuttier for that matter.

Now would be a great time for you to post an instance of me being dishonest.

Should be easy to find, right?

Not bull shit, it's a fact. I've taken care of them myself. You don't believe me because you don't want to. Doesn't change the fact that I'm right.

Anonymous posters on message boards can claim anything. If you had some actual statistics from the world beyond USMB to support your claim, they'd lend it some validity.

I don't give a fuck wether you believe me or not. You are nothing but a lying left wing nut job. NOBODY cares what you think.

PredFan is in Orlando. Canadians come here on vacation.....and as a result, he might see a few in whatever hospital he works at.

But....they aren't coming to Orlando for health care that they can't get in Canada.

Not true. You are being pathetic.

Oh look! A lying left wing nutter comes to the defense of a lying left wing nutter! Is that supposed to mean something?

Now would be a great time for you to post an instance of me being dishonest.

Should be easy to find, right?

Been done so many times over the years, yet you still claim you don't lie. If I thought you had an ounce of integrity, I'd do it but you don't because you are a liar.

Oh look! A lying left wing nutter comes to the defense of a lying left wing nutter! Is that supposed to mean something?
You are just swiping at people because they have said things about you which you don't like. I do not lie about anything. Can you prove I do or that LL does? Of course not. You are just swiping back like a little kid. Pathetic. Tell me my mom wears combat boots. That's about your level.

You are just swiping at people because they have said things about you which you don't like. I do not lie about anything. Can you prove I do or that LL does? Of course not. You are just swiping back like a little kid. Pathetic. Tell me my mom wears combat boots. That's about your level.

Meh, your lame attempts to insult me are boring. Your stupidity is irritating. You are dismissed.

Meh, a doctor who was disillusioned with healthcare in the U.S., goes to Canada to work. Does anyone think she's going to say: "Gosh! I screwed up! It's better in the U.S.!"? No she isn't.

As a medical professional for 33 years, I have taken care of more than my share of Canadians. They come here for their healthcare for a reason.
That's BS. Canadians do not come in any great number to the US for health care. What a load.

I assumed it was something like that. If Canadians were just seeking treatment, they'd drive across the border to Vancouver or Upstate NY, not travel all the way to Florida.

The fact that Predfan's run away by "dismissing" everyone else in the thread would seem to confirm that.

I assumed it was something like that. If Canadians were just seeking treatment, they'd drive across the border to Vancouver or Upstate NY, not travel all the way to Florida.

The fact that Predfan's run away by "dismissing" everyone else in the thread would seem to confirm that.

You lefties lie to everyone, especially yourselves.

So you consider yourself the Keeper of the Truth? That's adorable!

Did I say that fucktard? No I didn't.

Did I say that fucktard? No I didn't.

Which fucktard? That fucktard or the other one?

That's not entirely true though.

When people move into the free market, they start making choices the reflect a market.

Meaning: When I purchased audio equipment for my podcast, I drove an hour and a half outside the city, to pick up a really good microphone, for a very low price. I could have picked up any number of mics, off of craigslist, or gone to a dozen local stores. But the really high quality microphone, for a very low price was 1.5 hours out of the city.... so that's where I went.

Equally... In health care, once you decide you are going to get better quality care, at the lowest price you can get, you'll fly to Florida, if that's where you need to go. After all, if you are going to leave your country to get health care, you might as well pick the best place with the lowest price. That could be anywhere, not necessarily Upstate New York, or Vancouver.

You do know that people even inside the US, routinely go to other states to get treatment cheaper than they can locally.... right? So why would you expect that to not be true of someone from Canada, or anywhere else? Not logical.

But you seem to be denying that thousands of Canadians come to the US for care. You whack jobs on the left, seem to deny things, that even the people in those countries don't even deny.

Canadian health care wait times still unacceptably high, two reports say

Sources in Canada say people come here routinely to get care.

Phantoms In The Snow: Canadians’ Use Of Health Care Services In The United States

So many Canadians were coming to the US for care, that the Canadian government moved to cut reimbursement for health care bills of out-of-country health care services.

Are you saying that the government wasted its time to cut reimbursement for health care, that apparently no one was getting anyway?

Timely Medical Alternatives | Timely Surgery at Affordable Prices

And lastly, this is a company. Timely Medical. Based in Canada. It's a for-profit company. They make tens of millions a year. What do they sell? Getting treatment in America. They have been in business for over a decade.

So here is what you need to explain to everyone, including yourself. Why would anyone, let alone tens of thousands, more than enough for a for-profit business to be in operation for over a decade..... why would any of them, pay money out of pocket, to get medical treatment, that they supposedly get for free?

Answer... Socialized health care sucks.

That's the reason. No one pays money for something they get for free. Unless what they are getting for free, is awful.

^Whereas Americans have been buying their medications online from Canadian pharmacies for at least a decade. Why? Because those same American-branded (though manufactured in China/India/Sri Lanka, etc.) drugs cost several times less when purchased from a Canadian outlet.

Go figure.

^Whereas Americans have been buying their medications online from Canadian pharmacies for at least a decade. Why? Because those same American-branded (though manufactured in China/India/Sri Lanka, etc.) drugs cost several times less when purchased from a Canadian outlet.

Go figure.

Not entirely true.

Prescription Drug Costs: Has Canada Found the Answer?

There are some drugs that are cheaper in Canada. True. But there are many others, that are more expensive in Canada.

Worse, there are some drugs that not available in Canada at any cost. Canadians routinely buy medications from the US, just as much as US people buy cheaper drugs from Canada.

So why are some drugs cheaper in Canada?

3 reasons.

FIRST: The Canadian government negotiates (read imposes) lower prices for some drugs.

While this may seem brilliant and slam dunk win for everyone, it is exactly because of these government imposed prices, the result in many drugs being MORE expensive than here in the US, and why some drugs simply not available.

Any basic economics course, and most free-market capitalists understand, that any time you impose price controls, you will end up with shortages (when the negotiated price is lower than market value), and price gouging (when the negotiated price is higher than market value).

After all, if the government makes the price too low, why sell the product? Just sell it in other countries without the controls. Equally, if the price is too high, why would you lower your price, when the government agreed to charge more?

Now the key is *too* low. Some prices are lower than here in the US, but still high enough to be profitable, thus are still on the market.

SECOND: The Canadian government, and other countries, pay for research and development.

Pharma companies do not do R&D in Canada for the most part. Explicitly because of the above problem. Again, if you can't make back the $100 million dollars spent in R&D to make a pill, because the government imposed a price control..... why make the pill to begin with?

It may seem logical that if the pill costs $20 in Canada, then it should be $20 here, instead of $30. Seems logical yes?

But here's the problem. The only reason companies are willing to sell the pill that cheap in Canada, is specifically because they can make back the millions they spent on R&D, by charging more in the US, and other countries.

If America tried to impose those same price controls, the companies would stop selling the pills. Again, why sell a product if you can't make money on it?

If you doubt that, go back and read up on Romney Care in Mass. when he was governor, and tried to impose price controls. The companies didn't just except lower prices, they openly planned to end all sales of drugs in Mass. And that's a HUGE market. Why would they leave such a massive market? Because it doesn't matter how big the market is, if you can't make a profit.

Additionally, some drug companies do in fact do some R&D in Canada... but not on their own.

Centre for Drug Research and Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not worth it to do their own R&D, but they most certainly will have Canadian tax payers pay for their R&D, and then sell them the resulting drugs at a profit... thanks to their tax money. For example, the Centre for Drug Research and Development in Canada, is mostly funded by government. But if you look at 'participating organizations', you'll find such for-profit companies as Pfizer Inc., and Johnson & Johnson. They have no problem with you paying taxes, funding their R&D, so they can sell you a pill.

THIRD: and finally.... Subsidies. Taxing the public, to pay drug companies, to lower prices.

While people in the US, hop on Canadian online drug shops, and admire the lower prices.... they are failing to connect those lower prices, with the higher taxes that are paid.

Those lower prices, are due to Canadians paying higher taxes, so you can get a drug cheaper. If Canadians realized how they were being charged higher taxes, so people that don't even live in Canada can get cheaper drugs, I doubt the system would still be in place.

Bottom line:

While on the surface, looking at the Canadian system through a online drug store portal, seem like it's brilliant, in reality more spotty. Shortages, higher prices, and gouging the Canadian tax payer, is how that masquerade of a low price utopia exists.

Go figure.

Often times are previous generation drugs.

Also, they only get left over capacity. Nobody builds processing plants to serve them.

Go figure.

Also, they only get left over capacity. Nobody builds processing plants to serve them.

Granted, but why gouge U.S. customers at the pharmacy counter? A lot of people aren't even aware of the markups.

Go figure.

Granted, but why gouge U.S. customers at the pharmacy counter? A lot of people aren't even aware of the markups.

Please explain to me what "gouging" is ?

Go figure.

Drug X is produced by American Company Z, manufactured in China, marketed and shipped worldwide.

Canadian customers pay 10 cents per pill.

American customers pay $1.00 for the same pill.

Go figure.

Drug X is produced by American Company Z, manufactured in China, marketed and shipped worldwide.

You really think that happens with nobody in-between (like a government that subsidizes drugs) ?

Go figure.

You really think that happens with nobody in-between (like a government that subsidizes drugs) ?

I really know that it happens because pharma companies inflate their prices for the U.S. market. Martin Shkreli was the only one stupid enough to brag about it.

Is this another 'everything should be free' libtard thread? These libs need to move to North Korea and live their communist dream working for the collective.

Forum List

Back