Health care for quadriplegic woman, 6-8 months to approve. Assisted suicide for the woman? 9 weeks...Canadian healthcare....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Government healthcare + Assisted suicide = solving the health care crisis in Canada made easier.........

The single mother of three boys previously supported her family with earnings from disability advocacy work through her company, Inclusive Solutions. That's also how she could afford to hire her own support workers.

But about a year ago, her care workers moved on to other jobs and her health began to decline.

With no other way to earn an income, Finlay applied for the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) and says she was told by a representative over the phone that it would take at least six to eight months to have her application approved.

According to the federal government's website, the approval period for MAID is only 90 days. MAID allows individuals with "grievous and irremediable" medical conditions to end their life with the assistance of a doctor or nurse practitioner.

"That tells me that our government is not prioritizing the lives of disabled people and that it is easier to let disabled people go than it is to actually give them the assistance that they need," Finlay said.

While waiting to hear about ODSP and faced with the possibility that her recurring infections could lead to further illness, including sepsis, Finlay made the decision to apply for MAID in March.

"It's not what I want," she said. "But if I don't receive the support that I need, the outcome is the same. If I get to a point where I am really sick and basically terminally ill anyways, I would like to have other options."

For whatever disagreements people might have with 2aguy, the can't deny that he presents authentic facts and arguments. This is as mainstream as it gets in Canada with CBC. I happen to be libertarian and thus people should have a right to choose their fate, they need better supports though to try and avoid it.

Assisted suicide because that's what the patient wants isn't true. It starts out that way. Very quickly it stops being what the patient wants and becomes what is expedient.

Forum List

Back