Trump's 4% GDP growth promise update

Centrista

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2018
Donald Trump promised 4.0% GDP growth a year.

Updated - Trump-O-Meter: Grow the economy by 4 percent a year

In 2018, he fell short with 3.2% growth.

It's still early in 2019, so all we have is estimates of first quarter growth. In order for the economy to stay on track to 4% growth, Q1 must be at least /approximately 4%.

So far things don't look good at all. Economist Diane Swonk said yesterday that Q1 growth could be 1.5%:

GDP growth for the first quarter could slip below 1-1/2% if shutdown endures through the end of the week.

Diane Swonk on Twitter
F636-CAD5-410-A-4283-BE6-C-7-A406-E3-E1-B94.jpg

It looks like Trump wildly exaggerated the results he could achieve.

It's still early in 2019, so all we have is estimates of first quarter growth. In order for the economy to stay on track to 4% growth, Q1 must be at least /approximately 4%.

So far things don't look good at all. Economist Diane Swonk said yesterday that Q1 growth could be 1.5%:

GDP growth for the first quarter could slip below 1-1/2% if shutdown endures through the end of the week.

Diane Swonk on Twitter

Have the 2018 numbers been released?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

4% is a big number for such a large economy. The fact he hit 3% is an achievement.

It's much easier to achieve if you cut down your expenses, which neither party seems willing to do.

4% is a big number for such a large economy. The fact he hit 3% is an achievement.

It's much easier to achieve if you cut down your expenses, which neither party seems willing to do.

His economy isn't doing nearly as well in GDP growith, in job creation, or in wage growth, as the Obama economy. Trump promised "jobs on steriods", and that's not happening. He promises workers a $4000 a year raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that's not happening.

You want to achieve growth, raise wages. There's a lot of pent up demand among working Americans and the middle class, but they lack the money to act on that demand. All of the sluggishness with growth can be tied directly to the fact that the working and middle class have had no real raises in income since 1980, and have seen their savings and equity eroded by inflation and recessions.

Trump said 4%. Don’t lower the bar. He even said he could go for 5% or 6%.

His economy isn't doing nearly as well in GDP growith, in job creation, or in wage growth, as the Obama economy. Trump promised "jobs on steriods", and that's not happening. He promises workers a $4000 a year raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that's not happening.

You want to achieve growth, raise wages. There's a lot of pent up demand among working Americans and the middle class, but they lack the money to act on that demand. All of the sluggishness with growth can be tied directly to the fact that the working and middle class have had no real raises in income since 1980, and have seen their savings and equity eroded by inflation and recessions.
blah blah blah, ... but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Obama failed across-the-board, and Trump and America are winning.

Manufacturing has returned and China is stumbling, while Trump is addressing the trade imbalances and lack of contribution from allies.

He is doing what he can. If it were up to him, I am willing to guess you would see many budget cuts to excess waste.

Diane Swonk on Twitter

I have not seen a final number for the economy of 2018 yet but if this is an accurate number it beats the last administration.

2% is the new normal. At least that was what we were told. Could not get better. To beat 3 % is doing good. I am not aware of anytime that our economy has been able to hit 4%.

I assume you have never heard a politician on the campaign trail before. Since you are unfamiliar with what they do if you take 90% of what they say as fact then you are either stupid or extremely guliblible.

Diane Swonk on Twitter

I have not seen a final number for the economy of 2018 yet but if this is an accurate number it beats the last administration.

2% is the new normal. At least that was what we were told. Could not get better. To beat 3 % is doing good. I am not aware of anytime that our economy has been able to hit 4%.

I assume you have never heard a politician on the campaign trail before. Since you are unfamiliar with what they do if you take 90% of what they say as fact then you are either stupid or extremely guliblible.
This is what I want to hear from Trump supporters. I don’t want excuses. I want them to admit, like this guy just did, that Trump was full of shit and making shit up and lying to people like he often does .

There is no scale to measure this level of delusion.

Speaking of those who are not entitled to their own facts!!!

Obama was the MOST economically successful President since Eisenhaurer. He save not just the American economy, but the world economy from collapse. Anyone who says that Obama "failed" the American people is either wilfully ignorant and should refrain from commenting on economics until you get a clue, or you're lying.

Obama created the longest period of sustained growth in US history:

U.S.: real GDP growth by quarter 2011-2018 | Statista

Given that you're a self described "Meathead", I'm going with "Don't comment on the economy until you get a clue".

Obama was the MOST economically successful President since Eisenhaurer. He save not just the American economy, but the world economy from collapse. Anyone who says that Obama "failed" the American people is either wilfully ignorant and should refrain from commenting on economics until you get a clue, or you're lying.

Given that you're a self described "Meathead", I'm going with "Don't comment on the economy until you get a clue".

d95.gif

WTF, do you do any research at all?
170105184946-03-obama-economy-gdp-780x439.jpg

Diane Swonk on Twitter

This is what I want to hear from Trump supporters. I don’t want excuses. I want them to admit, like this guy just did, that Trump was full of shit and making shit up and lying to people like he often does .
Trump isn't responsible for Pelosi deliberately refusing to do her job.

Obama created the longest period of sustained growth in US history:

U.S.: real GDP growth by quarter 2011-2018 | Statista

Obama failed. It's over. Finito.

You can't blame him on a certain level. He was way over his head.

Just be happy the economy is doing very well guided by our new president.

[
Wow....A politician exaggerates, and even lies.....In other news, water is wet.
Another honest Trump supporter. Thank you!

Manufacturing has returned and China is stumbling, while Trump is addressing the trade imbalances and lack of contribution from allies.

He is doing what he can. If it were up to him, I am willing to guess you would see many budget cuts to excess waste.
He’s doing what he can? He said he could bring it to 5 to 6% growth. And he outright said he would bring it up to 4%. He’s doing less than he can. I fixed it for you.
New Jersey 'Dreamers' say they don't want to be used as pawns for border wall money

Forum List

Back