Trump's 4% GDP growth promise update

Donald Trump promised 4.0% GDP growth a year.

Updated - Trump-O-Meter: Grow the economy by 4 percent a year

In 2018, he fell short with 3.2% growth.

It's still early in 2019, so all we have is estimates of first quarter growth. In order for the economy to stay on track to 4% growth, Q1 must be at least /approximately 4%.

So far things don't look good at all. Economist Diane Swonk said yesterday that Q1 growth could be 1.5%:

GDP growth for the first quarter could slip below 1-1/2% if shutdown endures through the end of the week.

Diane Swonk on Twitter
F636-CAD5-410-A-4283-BE6-C-7-A406-E3-E1-B94.jpg

It looks like Trump wildly exaggerated the results he could achieve.

It will take a while to recover from Obama's bullshit. I guess you're pissed since Obama promised it would never get over 2%.

It's still early in 2019, so all we have is estimates of first quarter growth. In order for the economy to stay on track to 4% growth, Q1 must be at least /approximately 4%.

So far things don't look good at all. Economist Diane Swonk said yesterday that Q1 growth could be 1.5%:

GDP growth for the first quarter could slip below 1-1/2% if shutdown endures through the end of the week.

Diane Swonk on Twitter

I have not seen a final number for the economy of 2018 yet but if this is an accurate number it beats the last administration.

2% is the new normal. At least that was what we were told. Could not get better. To beat 3 % is doing good. I am not aware of anytime that our economy has been able to hit 4%.

I assume you have never heard a politician on the campaign trail before. Since you are unfamiliar with what they do if you take 90% of what they say as fact then you are either stupid or extremely guliblible.
This is what I want to hear from Trump supporters. I don’t want excuses. I want them to admit, like this guy just did, that Trump was full of shit and making shit up and lying to people like he often does .

OK, will you admit that no matter what he achieved so far, the economy is much better than at any time under Obozo's 2 terms?

4% is a big number for such a large economy. The fact he hit 3% is an achievement.

It's much easier to achieve if you cut down your expenses, which neither party seems willing to do.

His economy isn't doing nearly as well in GDP growith, in job creation, or in wage growth, as the Obama economy. Trump promised "jobs on steriods", and that's not happening. He promises workers a $4000 a year raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that's not happening.

You want to achieve growth, raise wages. There's a lot of pent up demand among working Americans and the middle class, but they lack the money to act on that demand. All of the sluggishness with growth can be tied directly to the fact that the working and middle class have had no real raises in income since 1980, and have seen their savings and equity eroded by inflation and recessions.
blah blah blah, ... but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Obama failed across-the-board, and Trump and America are winning.

Speaking of those who are not entitled to their own facts!!!

Obama was the MOST economically successful President since Eisenhaurer. He save not just the American economy, but the world economy from collapse. Anyone who says that Obama "failed" the American people is either wilfully ignorant and should refrain from commenting on economics until you get a clue, or you're lying.

Obama created the longest period of sustained growth in US history:

U.S.: real GDP growth by quarter 2011-2018 | Statista

Given that you're a self described "Meathead", I'm going with "Don't comment on the economy until you get a clue".

Since who? What a dumbass!

Diane Swonk on Twitter

It will take a while to recover from Obama's bullshit. I guess you're pissed since Obama promised it would never get over 2%.
False

Diane Swonk on Twitter

I have not seen a final number for the economy of 2018 yet but if this is an accurate number it beats the last administration.

2% is the new normal. At least that was what we were told. Could not get better. To beat 3 % is doing good. I am not aware of anytime that our economy has been able to hit 4%.

I assume you have never heard a politician on the campaign trail before. Since you are unfamiliar with what they do if you take 90% of what they say as fact then you are either stupid or extremely guliblible.
This is what I want to hear from Trump supporters. I don’t want excuses. I want them to admit, like this guy just did, that Trump was full of shit and making shit up and lying to people like he often does .

OK, will you admit that no matter what he achieved so far, the economy is much better than at any time under Obozo's 2 terms?
There is a strong possibility that Trump's best yearly GDP number won't top Obama's best.

Diane Swonk on Twitter

There is a strong possibility that Trump's best yearly GDP number won't top Obama's best.

Are your eyes brown? If not they should be, because you are full of shit!

Diane Swonk on Twitter

It is 2018 or bust for Trump and it isn't looking good for him at this point.

Trump ranks seventh in economic growth since Eisenhower.
View attachment 247145
So, no matter how much Trump exaggerates his success, his GDP growth less than average .
Sorry Little Trumpsters, your hero just really doesn't cut it, as being great as he and you think he is..

First that wasnt the discussion, try keeping up, eh kiwi.

He has been successful and I prov we d how he shit on the people saying growth over 2% was a fallacy. Thanks for your document

So far, Trump is averaging 2.9%

Obama's total was 2.1%.

Read it and weep, dumbass!

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Obama's total was 2.1%.

That link is from last August. Now, Trump's GDP is down to 2.81.

And the usually VERY reliable GDPNow has 4'th Quarter 2018 GDP as only 1.5%.

GDPNow - Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta

That would bring his GDP Growth average down to 2.65%.

United States GDP Growth Rate | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Better than Obama's - but both are lousy considering all the ZIRP and QE and huge deficits they have run.

And Trump promised 4% GDP growth.

Trump is officially making an economic promise that will be nearly impossible to keep

Plus, Trump is currently on pace to post a gigantic $1.2 Trillion deficit for FY 2019.

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/reports-statements/mts/mts.pdf

Bottom line is Trump is NO WHERE NEAR his 4% GDP Growth promise and is running ridiculous deficits.

4% is a big number for such a large economy. The fact he hit 3% is an achievement.

It's much easier to achieve if you cut down your expenses, which neither party seems willing to do.
Trump said 4%. Don’t lower the bar. He even said he could go for 5% or 6%.

Obama couldn't manage even 3%.

Obama didn't have the “biggest tax cut in history” and he was CUTTING spending all through his administration.

Last edited:

His economy isn't doing nearly as well in GDP growith, in job creation, or in wage growth, as the Obama economy. Trump promised "jobs on steriods", and that's not happening. He promises workers a $4000 a year raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that's not happening.

You want to achieve growth, raise wages. There's a lot of pent up demand among working Americans and the middle class, but they lack the money to act on that demand. All of the sluggishness with growth can be tied directly to the fact that the working and middle class have had no real raises in income since 1980, and have seen their savings and equity eroded by inflation and recessions.

Manufacturing has returned and China is stumbling, while Trump is addressing the trade imbalances and lack of contribution from allies.

He is doing what he can. If it were up to him, I am willing to guess you would see many budget cuts to excess waste.
Vice President Mike Pence touted the latest jobs report as proof that “manufacturing is roaring back.” The previous administration made a similar claim, but experts then and now said it’s premature to declare a manufacturing renaissance.

The economy added 196,000 manufacturing jobs last year — the most in any year since 2014, when the economy added 208,000 manufacturing jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. But the manufacturing sector has yet to fully recover from the Great Recession.

As of December 2017, there were 12.5 million manufacturing jobs – 1.2 million fewer than there were in December 2007, when the recession started, BLS data show. At last year’s growth rate, it would take until nearly 2023 just to recover the jobs lost during the recession.

Pence made his remarks in an interview with the conservative radio show host Dana Loesch. “Look at the jobs numbers that were just released last week — manufacturing is roaring back,” he said.

The employment figures released on Jan. 5 showed an increase of 25,000 manufacturing jobs in December. That resulted, as we said, in a net gain for the year of 196,000 jobs. That was much better than in 2016, when the economy lost 16,000 manufacturing jobs. But it was not as good as 2011 or 2014, when the economy added a little more than 200,000 manufacturing jobs in each of those years.

Manufacturing has returned and China is stumbling, while Trump is addressing the trade imbalances and lack of contribution from allies.

He is doing what he can. If it were up to him, I am willing to guess you would see many budget cuts to excess waste.
:auiqs.jpg:

Vice President Mike Pence touted the latest jobs report as proof that “manufacturing is roaring back.” The previous administration made a similar claim, but experts then and now said it’s premature to declare a manufacturing renaissance.

The economy added 196,000 manufacturing jobs last year — the most in any year since 2014, when the economy added 208,000 manufacturing jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. But the manufacturing sector has yet to fully recover from the Great Recession.

As of December 2017, there were 12.5 million manufacturing jobs – 1.2 million fewer than there were in December 2007, when the recession started, BLS data show. At last year’s growth rate, it would take until nearly 2023 just to recover the jobs lost during the recession.

Pence made his remarks in an interview with the conservative radio show host Dana Loesch. “Look at the jobs numbers that were just released last week — manufacturing is roaring back,” he said.

The employment figures released on Jan. 5 showed an increase of 25,000 manufacturing jobs in December. That resulted, as we said, in a net gain for the year of 196,000 jobs. That was much better than in 2016, when the economy lost 16,000 manufacturing jobs. But it was not as good as 2011 or 2014, when the economy added a little more than 200,000 manufacturing jobs in each of those years.
But, according to republicans the stats were a lie and the jobs were all part time..That is all I will work is part time..

Last edited:

Obama's total was 2.1%.

That link is from last August. Now, Trump's GDP is down to 2.81.

And the usually VERY reliable GDPNow has 4'th Quarter 2018 GDP as only 1.5%.

GDPNow - Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta

That would bring his GDP Growth average down to 2.65%.

United States GDP Growth Rate | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Better than Obama's - but both are lousy considering all the ZIRP and QE and huge deficits they have run.

And Trump promised 4% GDP growth.

Trump is officially making an economic promise that will be nearly impossible to keep

Plus, Trump is currently on pace to post a gigantic $1.2 Trillion deficit for FY 2019.

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/reports-statements/mts/mts.pdf

Bottom line is Trump is NO WHERE NEAR his 4% GDP Growth promise and is running ridiculous deficits.
But the orange moron doesn't give a damn as he has said he won't be here when the shit hits the fan

Forum List

Back