Trump's 4% GDP growth promise update

4% is a big number for such a large economy. The fact he hit 3% is an achievement.

It's much easier to achieve if you cut down your expenses, which neither party seems willing to do.

His economy isn't doing nearly as well in GDP growith, in job creation, or in wage growth, as the Obama economy. Trump promised "jobs on steriods", and that's not happening. He promises workers a $4000 a year raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that's not happening.

You want to achieve growth, raise wages. There's a lot of pent up demand among working Americans and the middle class, but they lack the money to act on that demand. All of the sluggishness with growth can be tied directly to the fact that the working and middle class have had no real raises in income since 1980, and have seen their savings and equity eroded by inflation and recessions.

Manufacturing has returned and China is stumbling, while Trump is addressing the trade imbalances and lack of contribution from allies.

He is doing what he can. If it were up to him, I am willing to guess you would see many budget cuts to excess waste.
He’s doing what he can? He said he could bring it to 5 to 6% growth. And he outright said he would bring it up to 4%. He’s doing less than he can. I fixed it for you.
New Jersey 'Dreamers' say they don't want to be used as pawns for border wall money

The U.S economy is damned near $20T a year. That means, it has to grow by 1Trillion a year to hit 5% growth. I submit to you that this demands better trade globally, especially with China, and the tariffs have helped a great deal.

It's very difficult. Trump took the right approach, a multi tier approach. He knows that bringing jobs back is key, and he's right. It will get people off of govt. dependence, it will increase U.S Treasury when taxed. Couple that with better (fairer) trade and correctly imbalances, and you can probably hit a couple of hundred billion from this alone. Then tax deductions should encourage growth and reinvestment.

To me, he could do a Obama economy and just inject a trillion into the economy. Viola, "look at the GDP growth!" Instead, he has to fight both sides of the aisle who just want to spend on window dressing. What amazes me, is Obama used massive budget Stimuli into the economy and still never hit 3%. That tells me that the money was a big boondoggle, mismanaged. Imagine Trump could just do the same direct, business stimuli with zero interest?

Here's a guarantee, just from all I know of Trump in the years I've followed him; he sees massive waste in government and he desperately would like to cut the fat. He knows very well that doing so would create an uptick in the economy because that money could be spent on say, infrastructure, or, cutting the deficit etc.

Last edited:
[
This is what I want to hear from Trump supporters. I don’t want excuses. I want them to admit, like this guy just did, that Trump was full of shit and making shit up and lying to people like he often does .
Wow....A politician exaggerates, and even lies.....In other news, water is wet.
Another honest Trump supporter. Thank you!
So, because I'm jaded and no longer shocked or butthurt when a politician lies, that means I'm on the other team?

How old are you?

Donald Trump promised 4.0% GDP growth a year.

Updated - Trump-O-Meter: Grow the economy by 4 percent a year

In 2018, he fell short with 3.2% growth.

It's still early in 2019, so all we have is estimates of first quarter growth. In order for the economy to stay on track to 4% growth, Q1 must be at least /approximately 4%.

So far things don't look good at all. Economist Diane Swonk said yesterday that Q1 growth could be 1.5%:

GDP growth for the first quarter could slip below 1-1/2% if shutdown endures through the end of the week.

Diane Swonk on Twitter
F636-CAD5-410-A-4283-BE6-C-7-A406-E3-E1-B94.jpg

It looks like Trump wildly exaggerated the results he could achieve.
I have not seen a final number for the economy of 2018 yet but if this is an accurate number it beats the last administration.

2% is the new normal. At least that was what we were told. Could not get better. To beat 3 % is doing good. I am not aware of anytime that our economy has been able to hit 4%.

I assume you have never heard a politician on the campaign trail before. Since you are unfamiliar with what they do if you take 90% of what they say as fact then you are either stupid or extremely guliblible.
This is what I want to hear from Trump supporters. I don’t want excuses. I want them to admit, like this guy just did, that Trump was full of shit and making shit up and lying to people like he often does .
So you want to make out Trump as somehow worse then other politicians because he lies. You really are delusional. We just got done with one that said 2% was the best we could hope for. Everyone would save how much on ACA? Good for you for pointing out that Trump lied. Now do you want to make a federal case out of every other politician because everyone of them lie. Or is it just your Trump Derangement rearing its head?

4% is a big number for such a large economy. The fact he hit 3% is an achievement.

It's much easier to achieve if you cut down your expenses, which neither party seems willing to do.

His economy isn't doing nearly as well in GDP growith, in job creation, or in wage growth, as the Obama economy. Trump promised "jobs on steriods", and that's not happening. He promises workers a $4000 a year raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that's not happening.

You want to achieve growth, raise wages. There's a lot of pent up demand among working Americans and the middle class, but they lack the money to act on that demand. All of the sluggishness with growth can be tied directly to the fact that the working and middle class have had no real raises in income since 1980, and have seen their savings and equity eroded by inflation and recessions.
blah blah blah, ... but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Obama failed across-the-board, and Trump and America are winning.

Speaking of those who are not entitled to their own facts!!!

Obama was the MOST economically successful President since Eisenhaurer. He save not just the American economy, but the world economy from collapse. Anyone who says that Obama "failed" the American people is either wilfully ignorant and should refrain from commenting on economics until you get a clue, or you're lying.

Obama created the longest period of sustained growth in US history:

U.S.: real GDP growth by quarter 2011-2018 | Statista

Given that you're a self described "Meathead", I'm going with "Don't comment on the economy until you get a clue".
I hate to point out to you that 44 was mostly incompetent. I would give you at least partial credit if you knew how to spell Eisenhower. A president you say you respected enough to compare 44 to.
It is almost impossible not to have better economy fiqures when the economy is in the toilet. That fact that the recover was the longest and slowest in all of our history just might point to a bad job. The fact he never had a single year of 3% in eight years points to another.

But don't let reality and facts bother your opinion.

Obama was the MOST economically successful President since Eisenhaurer. He save not just the American economy, but the world economy from collapse. Anyone who says that Obama "failed" the American people is either wilfully ignorant and should refrain from commenting on economics until you get a clue, or you're lying.

Given that you're a self described "Meathead", I'm going with "Don't comment on the economy until you get a clue".
I hate to point out to you that 44 was mostly incompetent. I would give you at least partial credit if you knew how to spell Eisenhower. A president you say you respected enough to compare 44 to.
It is almost impossible not to have better economy fiqures when the economy is in the toilet. That fact that the recover was the longest and slowest in all of our history just might point to a bad job. The fact he never had a single year of 3% in eight years points to another.

How about the second quarter? Do you think will get 4% growth in the second quarter?

Manufacturing has returned and China is stumbling, while Trump is addressing the trade imbalances and lack of contribution from allies.

He is doing what he can. If it were up to him, I am willing to guess you would see many budget cuts to excess waste.
He’s doing what he can? He said he could bring it to 5 to 6% growth. And he outright said he would bring it up to 4%. He’s doing less than he can. I fixed it for you.
New Jersey 'Dreamers' say they don't want to be used as pawns for border wall money

The U.S economy is damned near $20T a year. That means, it has to grow by 1Trillion a year to hit 5% growth. I submit to you that this demands better trade globally, especially with China, and the tariffs have helped a great deal.

It's very difficult. Trump took the right approach, a multi tier approach. He knows that bringing jobs back is key, and he's right. It will get people off of govt. dependence, it will increase U.S Treasury when taxed. Couple that with better (fairer) trade and correctly imbalances, and you can probably hit a couple of hundred billion from this alone. Then tax deductions should encourage growth and reinvestment.

To me, he could do a Obama economy and just inject a trillion into the economy. Viola, "look at the GDP growth!" Instead, he has to fight both sides of the aisle who just want to spend on window dressing. What amazes me, is Obama used massive budget Stimuli into the economy and still never hit 3%. That tells me that the money was a big boondoggle, mismanaged. Imagine Trump could just do the same direct, business stimuli with zero interest?

Here's a guarantee, just from all I know of Trump in the years I've followed him; he sees massive waste in government and he desperately would like to cut the fat. He knows very well that doing so would create an uptick in the economy because that money could be spent on say, infrastructure, or, cutting the deficit etc.
You typed so many paragraphs to simply conclude that Donald Trump can’t keep his 4% promise. Thank you but don’t waste your time so much next time.
I wonder how much growth would be if Trump had inherited a recession from the last guy.

1. Not true - Prelim Q4 (and full 2018) numbers are not out yet - to be published January 30th.

2. Obama's best year was 2.9% and that was without Trump's 1.5 trillion dollar tax-cut stimulus. It's really not a rocket science to turn trillion dollar deficit into 0.3% GDP growth.

3. Trump compaign promissed 4% growth and Administration promised tax-cuts will be self-financing because it will cause 4-5% GDP growth - there is ZERO chance of any of that happening in 2018 and forecast for 2019 looks even worse.

How about the second quarter? Do you think will get 4% growth in the second quarter?
I do not claim to be psychic. I don't even know what horse will win the next race at Belmont.

So are you ready to call out Pelosi for lying about the Secret Service not being able to protect the President if he gave a State of the Union Address? Are you willing to call out 44 for saying that 2% was the new normal?

Play crazy all you want but don't expect me or others to buy into your world.

The tariffs haven’t helped at all. The trade deficit with China has INCREASED, so don’t try that lie. In addition Foxconn has cancelled their $50 billion investment because of the tariffs.

Anyone who has followed Trump for years and sees anything positive with his business dealings with others is either lying or a paid poster.

The tariffs haven’t helped at all. The trade deficit with China has INCREASED, so don’t try that lie. In addition Foxconn has cancelled their $50 billion investment because of the tariffs.

Anyone who has followed Trump for years and sees anything positive with his business dealings with others is either lying or a paid poster.

So how come Americas economy is the best in the world right now and has reclaimed it's position as the most competitive?

Sorry, I don't buy fear mongering. I've heard it before he was elected and I hear it everyday.

3.2% would be good. I've yet to see Q4's number. All I ever want is for economic growth while the budget and inflation to be in check. If growth is coming at expense of increasing the debt or due to inflation then it seems to me it is sadly a matter of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

So how come Americas economy is the best in the world right now and has reclaimed it's position as the most competitive?

Sorry, I don't buy fear mongering. I've heard it before he was elected and I hear it everyday.

Wtf?? American economy has never lost that position.

What we have lost for eight years is rightwing fucking minds over Obama.

Economy growing for 7 years, but a day after guy with an R on front of his name is elected rightwingers suddenly think economy is booming.

It's still early in 2019, so all we have is estimates of first quarter growth. In order for the economy to stay on track to 4% growth, Q1 must be at least /approximately 4%.

So far things don't look good at all. Economist Diane Swonk said yesterday that Q1 growth could be 1.5%:

GDP growth for the first quarter could slip below 1-1/2% if shutdown endures through the end of the week.

Diane Swonk on Twitter

Update: White House Economist Says Economy May Not Grow In First Quarter

2018 is likely to be lower than Obama's best year and 2019 is likely to see slower growth than 2018. So much winning.

Diane Swonk on Twitter

So let me see if I got this right. Ya sit on your rear doing nothing but pissing and moaning for months on end and now you want to bitch about economic growth?

Diane Swonk on Twitter

well considering the media and left laughed at anything above 2%, hes doing a great job

Diane Swonk on Twitter

well considering the media and left laughed at anything above 2%, hes doing a great job
o bambi never got passed 00.01

Trump ranks seventh in economic growth since Eisenhower.
GDP.png

So, no matter how much Trump exaggerates his success, his GDP growth less than average .
Sorry Little Trumpsters, your hero just really doesn't cut it, as being great as he and you think he is..

Diane Swonk on Twitter

And dotard Donnie actually said maybe even 5 or 6%, believe me! ROTFLMAO!!

Forum List

Back