Trump said we pay for 90% of what NATO gets. Do you believe him?

We could not have beaten the Germans without them in WWII.

We could not have held back the Russians in the Cold War without them.

2 sources of info , one being President Trump or these silly sites that are posted by lefties and i'll go with the TRUMP every time . These lefties appear too FRANTIC throwing out 'bs' websites , all with an anti Trump and fake news bias and they do it all day long . --------------- just a comment .

Yes, and we need to close them out and bring our soldiers back to our own borders.

The military is NOT a border patrol! Come on man! How many times does this have to be explained?

The military is NOT an empire building apparatus either nor does it exist to fight everyone else's wars. World War II is over. The Cold War is over. Our military's job is to defend OUR nation, not everyone else's. In case you didn't notice we have a $22 trillion debt. We can't afford this largess anymore.

So let's stop paying people to sit on their asses all day long in rent free homes, eating free food, getting free medical care

I'm fine with that too, but you think that's going to cover the bill? And that doesn't address my point that those afforementioned things are not our military's responsibility.

You have the right to be wrong. Our military's job is to break things and kill people that threaten the well-being of this nation. That can be anywhere from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
If it can be any of those places why can’t it be the southern border? That seems to be an odd place to draw the line of where our military can be used.

FACT CHECK: Trump's Claims On NATO Spending

No, US does not pay for 70 or 90 percent of NATO

Obama applauds halt to decline in NATO spending

How NATO is funded and who pays what

We all saw Trump say the US pays 90% of what goes to NATO during this trip to Europe. In fact he said it more than once.

So what does the US actually pay?

22%

Yep, 22%, not 90%.

And it was back in 2014 that Obama demanded NATO paid more. And after the Russian invasion of the Ukraine and the annexation of Crimea, they got on the ball. They scheduled the increases into their economy. and we saw the amount they pay increasing a couple of years ago. Before Trump took office.

So the upcoming increases were negotiated by Obama, not Trump.

It's all right there. Easy to look up. VERY recent history. Believe what you want, but those are the facts.

At the end of the day, Europe will always come crying to the US to do their fighting for them. like when Europe gave Obama the Nobel Peace Prize to take out Gaddafi for them.

If it were not for the spending on the US military, Europe would be screwed and probably speaking Russian by now.

So it really matters how much the US spends for NATO. It matters more what the US spends on it's military. Europe just sits back and spends their money on social programs instead. It must be nice.

Goes to show we are spending far too much of our GDP on military expenses that we don't need.

What the President is saying.

Thanks for the support.

Then why did trump and the republicans increase military defending?
Money. Eisenhower wrote to be wary of the military industrial complex. Weapons makers support Republicans who will spend billions on unnecessary equipment which makes them rich. All that money.
What part of the best military in the world would you like to declare unnecessary and should be eliminated?

The military is NOT a border patrol! Come on man! How many times does this have to be explained?

The military is NOT an empire building apparatus either nor does it exist to fight everyone else's wars. World War II is over. The Cold War is over. Our military's job is to defend OUR nation, not everyone else's. In case you didn't notice we have a $22 trillion debt. We can't afford this largess anymore.

So let's stop paying people to sit on their asses all day long in rent free homes, eating free food, getting free medical care

I'm fine with that too, but you think that's going to cover the bill? And that doesn't address my point that those afforementioned things are not our military's responsibility.

You have the right to be wrong. Our military's job is to break things and kill people that threaten the well-being of this nation. That can be anywhere from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
If it can be any of those places why can’t it be the southern border? That seems to be an odd place to draw the line of where our military can be used.

What do we need broken or killed along the southern border?

You do realize that most military bases are located on land that is absolutely useless for almost any other purpose.

For those of you who still don't get it, the military is NOT to be used as a Border Patrol.

You do realize that most military bases are located on land that is absolutely useless for almost any other purpose.

For those of you who still don't get it, the military is NOT to be used as a Border Patrol.
Isn’t every military in the world there to keep people from running across their borders? If that isn’t the actual point of having a military what is? We have all of this military might to protect other people’s borders but not ours. And that makes sense to you?

Isn’t every military in the world there to keep people from running across their borders? If that isn’t the actual point of having a military what is? We have all of this military might to protect other people’s borders but not ours. And that makes sense to you?

It obviously makes sense to you because you simply made it up. The military is not designed nor intended to be a border patrol. That should be the end of discussion.

It obviously makes sense to you because you simply made it up. The military is not designed nor intended to be a border patrol. That should be the end of discussion.
It makes sense to me that any military a country builds up is there to protect their own borders. Isn’t that the first reason you would build a military? Every military the world has ever had was there to defend the country from people trying to get in. It’s the first and foremost reason for having one.

--------------------------------------------------- unless laws are changed Admiral .

It makes sense to me that any military a country builds up is there to protect their own borders. Isn’t that the first reason you would build a military? Every military the world has ever had was there to defend the country from people trying to get in. It’s the first and foremost reason for having one.

People trying to get in is not an invading army hell bent on breaking things and killing people to the point they can take over your country. That is the purpose of the military. Perhaps if you had served you might understand a little better. If you did serve and still do not understand, you need a refresher course. Go see a recruiter, or if you were Army, give me a call!

Did Trump really say that we pay 90% of NATO or is it an invention by the notorious left wing blogs? The opening link starts out with the disclaimer "Trump has been making plenty of claims". That little statement should have a red alert button on conservative computers. It ain't fact checking, it's part of the left wing political coup.

Thread fail. According to polifarce US pays 72%.

And Trump said 70-90% depending on the way you calculate. He was clearly talking about the overall picture... I am sure you would have gotten it had you watched the speech in context.

Basically those nations are relying on USA and we are getting nothing for it. Trump is correct as usual. It would be less comical if they weren't at the same time funding their own invasion.
You didn't even read it,did you. You looked at a chart that showed total spending for each country.

Here, read it again dunce.

No, US does not pay for 70 or 90 percent of NATO

Start here:

Each of the 29 members contribute to those costs through an agreed cost-sharing formula based on the country’s gross domestic product. As the member with the largest GDP, the U.S. contributed 22 percent of NATO’s common funding. Not far behind is Germany with about 15 percent, then France and the United Kingdom with about 10 percent.

Translation ~

US spends $800 billion dollars

Great Britain spends $40 billion dollars

Germany spends $10 billion dollars

Norway spends $1 million dollars

And Denmark spends $5 bucks...

People trying to get in is not an invading army hell bent on breaking things and killing people to the point they can take over your country. That is the purpose of the military. Perhaps if you had served you might understand a little better. If you did serve and still do not understand, you need a refresher course. Go see a recruiter, or if you were Army, give me a call!
So you think the military is here to defend people around the world with force. But should be Walmart greeters on our own borders.

I watch and read the news in 4 different languages, and they all talk about how much the Orange lies lol....it's hilarious that they all have fact check section just for him LOL.

Forum List

Back