True conservatism (here's a hint, most of you are dead wrong)

I'm afraid you are misunderstanding the fallacy. The no-true-Scotsman fallacy applies when superficial characteristics are used to override defining core characteristics. I am not doing that, I am doing the opposite. I am affirming defining core characteristics and rejecting superficial qualities.

"A true conservative supports the overbearing government arbitrarily telling you who you can marry and how to have sex," is a no-true-Scotsman fallacy as it replaces a core defining trait (small government) with a superficial trait (opposition to gay marriage).
It doesn't take big government to tell you men can't marry each other. That's historical tradition and common sense.

How limited your knowledge of real history is compared to the interpretation you have come up with.

I'm afraid you are misunderstanding the fallacy. The no-true-Scotsman fallacy applies when superficial characteristics are used to override defining core characteristics. I am not doing that, I am doing the opposite. I am affirming defining core characteristics and rejecting superficial qualities.

"A true conservative supports the overbearing government arbitrarily telling you who you can marry and how to have sex," is a no-true-Scotsman fallacy as it replaces a core defining trait (small government) with a superficial trait (opposition to gay marriage).
It doesn't take big government to tell you men can't marry each other. That's historical tradition and common sense.

It doesn't take big government to tell you men can marry men. It's none of government's business.

Here is what kills me about this board:

A rube reads his/her daily missive from some hack partisan web site or TV "news" program, then runs to this board to copy and paste what he/she saw.

RUBE: Obama throws puppies into rush hour traffic!

POSTER: That is manufactured bullshit.

RUBE: You are a liberal who voted twice for him!

I don't worry about what such a rube considers to be a "true conservative". Because to that kind of idiot, a "conservative" is someone who believes anything they are told which demonizes the opposition and glorifies their side. And even after being shown they are drinking piss, they line up for a refill.

Too funny g, must you always show everyone your ass?

You aren't as smart as you think you are and you have no idea what a "conservative" is
Too bad for you I joined the YAF in 1977, was a teen subscriber to National Review, personally met Ronald Reagan and Bill Buckley, and helped run two Republican congressional campaigns in a deep blue state. I've been rubbing shoulders with conservatives and Libertarians, great and small, since probably before most of the people on this forum were born.

I think I know pretty well the difference between a conservative and a rube such as I described above.

A conservative used to be the smartest person in the room. Today, the Fox News watching, Breitbart/Washington Times/Daily Caller reading retards calling themselves conservatives are more likely to be the most credulous and idiotic person in the room.

Interesting! I did some promotional work for YAF in 1977 including a graphic illustration of James Buckley, Bill Buckley's bro who won his senate seat, in one of their publications. Still have the original, too.

A conservative used to be the smartest person in the room. Today, the Fox News watching, Breitbart/Washington Times/Daily Caller reading retards calling themselves conservatives are more likely to be the most credulous and idiotic person in the room.

Nu-uh! Fox News said you're wrong!

Seriously, it's truly sad what things have come to. Sometimes I wonder if Fox News and all the talking heads weren't planted in a crafty scheme by liberals years ago. We all know the media is run by liberals, right?

Seriously, it's truly sad what things have come to. Sometimes I wonder if Fox News and all the talking heads weren't planted in a crafty scheme by liberals years ago. We all know the media is run by liberals, right?

The subsuming of the right and the GOP by the evangelicals is what brought the DUH factor to the right. It was happening before Dubya got elected, but he gave it the final push.

The subsuming of the right and the GOP by the evangelicals is what brought the DUH factor to the right. It was happening before Dubya got elected, but he gave it the final push.

I beg to differ. It was complete. His election was the manifestation of that.

One day everyone will understand that almost every corporate media runs propaganda.

Here is what kills me about this board:

A rube reads his/her daily missive from some hack partisan web site or TV "news" program, then runs to this board to copy and paste what he/she saw.

RUBE: Obama throws puppies into rush hour traffic!

POSTER: That is manufactured bullshit.

RUBE: You are a liberal who voted twice for him!

I don't worry about what such a rube considers to be a "true conservative". Because to that kind of idiot, a "conservative" is someone who believes anything they are told which demonizes the opposition and glorifies their side. And even after being shown they are drinking piss, they line up for a refill.

Too funny g, must you always show everyone your ass?

You aren't as smart as you think you are and you have no idea what a "conservative" is
Too bad for you I joined the YAF in 1977, was a teen subscriber to National Review, personally met Ronald Reagan and Bill Buckley, and helped run two Republican congressional campaigns in a deep blue state. I've been rubbing shoulders with conservatives and Libertarians, great and small, since probably before most of the people on this forum were born.

I think I know pretty well the difference between a conservative and a rube such as I described above.

LOL, we all know you think you are the smartest kid in the room.

I hate to break it to you, your opinion is like an asshole, everybody has one and nobody cares about yours....or mine for that matter. ;)

You aren't a Conservative g no matter how loud you blow your own horn so you'll have to pardon us if we just laugh at you.

Besides unless you can provide proof of your self described greatness of standing with those on the Right I'll just call you a liar.

A true conservative advocates for minimal government interference in people's lives.
Federal government.
State government.
Local government.

A true conservative opposes too much power of the government over the people.
Federal government.
State government.
Local government.

A true conservative supports the rights of law abiding citizens to make their own choices.
The right to bear arms.
The right to marry a person of the same gender.
The right to have an early term abortion.
The right to buy or not buy health insurance.

A true conservative opposes overly concentrated power and its resulting tyranny.
Government power.
Corporate power.

Most of you who call yourselves conservatives are far from it.

A true conservative also is defined by the word itself, resisting change.
In my mind, that means they're stuck in whatever era or decade that worked best for their personal circumstances at the time.
con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
adjective

holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.
It's too bad that the term progressive has been sabotaged by the conservatives because, after all, who wants to be the opposite, which is regressive?
pro·gres·sive
prəˈɡresiv/
noun

Funny thing is though...EVERYTHING you want to "
Overbearing is a subjective term. That fact that you
believe traditional marriage is overbearing doesn't make it a fact.

Bullshit. You're just trying to make excuses to justify the fact that you're a statist fuck who wants the government to dictate how people peaceably live their personal lives.

I have no doubt that you actually believe the shit you post....but the truth is tht you have it all ass backwards.

Why don't you put it front ass-wards, then?

Shhhh, nobody is listening to you.

Go play with the other children.

Answer the question.
Why, when confronted on this board with simple questions, do righties blow pixie smoke?

Apparently you struggle with the phrase "ass backwards"?

Please don't confuse me with someone who actually cares what an ass like you thinks.

A true conservative believes in the Constitution which protects (or was supposed to) the rights of the states and the individuals. That means the 2nd Amendment is what it says, and if states want to ban abortions or gay marriage they have every right to do so. This also translates to much, much, smaller federal government.

A true conservative advocates for minimal government interference in people's lives.
Federal government.
State government.
Local government.

Federal government.
State government.
Local government.

A true conservative supports the rights of law abiding citizens to make their own choices.
The right to bear arms.

A true conservative opposes overly concentrated power and its resulting tyranny.
Government power.
Corporate power.

ROFLMNAO! Marriage is the joining of one man and one woman. It's not a complicated standard. But it is the standard and it's not negotiable.

And a true conservative, which is to say those who seek to conserve the recognition of and defense of, respect for and adherence to the principles in nature which govern human behavior... understands that there is no potential for a right which rejects the means another innocent human being to exercise their own life... thus, there is no potential for a 'right' to take the life of the most defenseless of all human life, when that life represents an inconvenience and, what's more... such is never MORE THE CASE, than where one is wholly responsible for that life, having wantonly and willfully engaged in the behavior that resulted in the conception of that life.

However, a true conservative does recognize the right of a woman to CHOOSE NOT to engage in the behavior which is designed specifically for the conception of children, where they're not prepared to raise and nurture such, thus she has the right to not engage in behavior which will set her up for living th rest of her natural left in shameful regret for having murdered her own child, as a result of her having made poor choices.

Federal government.
State government.
Local government.

Federal government.
State government.
Local government.

The right to bear arms.

Government power.
Corporate power.

True.

And the undermining of actual conservatism began some 45 years ago with the advent of the bane of the social right.

ROFLMNAO! Isn't it adorable when the Left is compelled to define the right, as the left which was pulled away by the crazies who disagreed?

I suppose I will NEVER get my fill of watching that foolishness... it is HYSTERICAL!

Marriage is the joining of one man and one woman. It's not a complicated standard. But it is the standard and it's not negotiable.

Who's standard, your standard? Don't worry, there's no need to negotiate. You can live by whatever standard of marriage you wish. The government does not need to dictate it to you.

ROFL! Wow!~

That's crazy Ironic.

Marriage is the joining of one man and one woman. It's not a complicated standard. But it is the standard and it's not negotiable.

Who's standard ...?

Nature's standard. It's the one that is demonstrated through the human physiological design. And like the standard it represents, its immutable.

The government does not need to dictate it to you.

The government is irrelevant... as the standard supersedes government.

You see, without regard to the government, its laws and edicts... Marriage is the joining of one man and one woman.

Forum List

Back