To USMB- The ignore feature

Like you've been told, this has nothing to do with political ideology.

Except that most of the time it does. Perhaps not for you, but 90% of the ignores here are due to the ignorer losing a debate to the ignoree and dealing with their humiliation by ignoring the one they lost to.

Do you really think there are "winners" and "losers" here? :D Anyway, I don't put people on ignore because of petty things like that, and obviously it's the same for others.

What in the hell do sexual comments and comments about a person's personal life have to do with politics? Oh . . . that's right . . . nothing.

Why do YOU care if some of us choose to put some people on ignore anyway? It's really not your business.

True, those comments are not germane to political debate - and they violate forum rules, so there is a better mechanism for dealing with they. If a board member is stalking you with sexual comments and you ignore them, they will simply move to another victim. If you report them, they will be banned and harass no one on the board anymore.

Know what? Now that I've been using ignore, it's not so much of a problem. Also, avoid the FZ where the kindergarteners hang out. :lol: I should know better by now.

Except that most of the time it does. Perhaps not for you, but 90% of the ignores here are due to the ignorer losing a debate to the ignoree and dealing with their humiliation by ignoring the one they lost to.

Do you really think there are "winners" and "losers" here? :D Anyway, I don't put people on ignore because of petty things like that, and obviously it's the same for others.

I don't put people on ignore because I don't like their opinions. I will sometimes temporarily put somebody on ignore who is just posting nonsense unrelated to the topic just to clutter up the thread and I get tired of hunting for the good posts in the midst of all that.

Every once in awhile there is actually a decent discussion in the FZ that doesn't actually belong in the FZ. But I am very rarely there too.

I don't put people on ignore because I don't like their opinions. I will sometimes temporarily put somebody on ignore who is just posting nonsense unrelated to the topic just to clutter up the thread and I get tired of hunting for the good posts in the midst of all that.

Same here. It would be pretty boring if you put everyone you disagreed with on ignore. What's the point?

Know what? Now that I've been using ignore, it's not so much of a problem. Also, avoid the FZ where the kindergarteners hang out. :lol: I should know better by now.

Avoiding the FZ is probably 90% of it. :thup:

To return to the original concept of this thread though, avoiding the FZ isn't all that helpful when somebody is determined to make your life miserable. Most especially when it is an organized pack attack. But refusing to return hate and stupidity and childishness directed at you is usually the best policy. It isn't always successful and many a good person has been driven from a board that didn't act to deal with that kind of thing. USMB usually does if it gets bad enough though.

We no longer have rep because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. We no longer have a disagree button because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. And we are better off without both because the childish ones are almost certainly still with us.

Same here. It would be pretty boring if you put everyone you disagreed with on ignore. What's the point?

This board gets enough traffic that you could put 50% of the posters on ignore and not notice anyway. :)

This board gets enough traffic that you could put 50% of the posters on ignore and not notice anyway. :)

LOL. True. But it goes against my principles to punish people for nothing more than expressing an opinion I can't agree with. So the ignore feature for me is reserved for those who are being disruptive and not for those who are in opposition. And those are in a pretty distinct minority.

Nastiness is one thing. Overt and gratuitous sexual comments and bullying are another. Best thing is to click them out.
Doesn't deter them, but by that stage, who cares. You can't see them anymore.

BUT, those also violate the forum rules and should be reported. Ignoring those who hold differing political views seems a bit counterproductive in a political forum. :dunno:

There are those who cannot stand any form of disagreement. Such people will argue with a post and they are unable to focus on a concept. Instead they attack/accuse the member and/or his source or swerve off into something totally different from the thread topic.

If you are trying to have an intelligent discussion about a concept or issue, it is so much easier to scroll over the comments of such people or put them on ignore. And that blunts the ability of such people from being able to derail a thread or prevent a discussion which I suspect is usually their intent in the first place.

Hi Foxfyre Can we have a psycho-therapy thread then?
And people can "recommend posters" there who need their thinking rewired
if they are otherwise derailing threads.

Maybe Judicial review and I can volunteer to experiment on these subjects, find out what conflicts make them tick. And untick them. If they can be rewired, maybe they can participate like normal. End of problem, or they may stop on their own.

Oh, it's that easy, huh? :lol: Maybe you should be teaching all the psychologist and psychiatrists.

I'm writing a book actually, Christine, on the study of mental health and the need to reevaluate not just how we treat, but exposing the most important part of the human brain - How it perceives. emilynghiem

Last edited:

Avoiding the FZ is probably 90% of it. :thup:

To return to the original concept of this thread though, avoiding the FZ isn't all that helpful when somebody is determined to make your life miserable. Most especially when it is an organized pack attack. But refusing to return hate and stupidity and childishness directed at you is usually the best policy. It isn't always successful and many a good person has been driven from a board that didn't act to deal with that kind of thing. USMB usually does if it gets bad enough though.

We no longer have rep because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. We no longer have a disagree button because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. And we are better off without both because the childish ones are almost certainly still with us.
Exactly. And since the packs are usually rewarded by a victim being sent off...I really don't see why they would stop. Do you? Lots of good posters quit posting though. That is true.

BUT, those also violate the forum rules and should be reported. Ignoring those who hold differing political views seems a bit counterproductive in a political forum. :dunno:

There are those who cannot stand any form of disagreement. Such people will argue with a post and they are unable to focus on a concept. Instead they attack/accuse the member and/or his source or swerve off into something totally different from the thread topic.

If you are trying to have an intelligent discussion about a concept or issue, it is so much easier to scroll over the comments of such people or put them on ignore. And that blunts the ability of such people from being able to derail a thread or prevent a discussion which I suspect is usually their intent in the first place.

Hi Foxfyre Can we have a psycho-therapy thread then?
And people can "recommend posters" there who need their thinking rewired
if they are otherwise derailing threads.

Maybe Judicial review and I can volunteer to experiment on these subjects, find out what conflicts make them tick. And untick them. If they can be rewired, maybe they can participate like normal. End of problem, or they may stop on their own.

Oh, it's that easy, huh? :lol: Maybe you should be teaching all the psychologist and psychiatrists.

Would you want to devote your time and energy to analysing low life retards, whose only function is to troll? Wondering why they "do it"?

Far easier to just click them out.

Poliical disagreements, and even quarrelling, are something else.

Absolutely not. I don't want to spend my time in the Flame Zone with people I don't even know about whatever they decide is the "hot topic" for the day. Eff them.

So you will make your own topics? I mean posters no matter where they are decide the hot topic for the day.. Why don't you give it a shot? I'm intrigued. ;)

Yep, I'm up to three now, so I have a LONG way to go.

:laugh:

Yep, I'm up to three now, so I have a LONG way to go.

:laugh:

I probably have 20 plus and don't miss them :)

I'm not doubting you or disagreeing; I'm just pointing out that those violate the rules and bring about the ban hammer - so should be treated accordingly.

They can do what they like in the flaming zone.
Not totally.

Don't slip up and mention an ugly wife, even in the most jestful, facetious post.

That hits certain people square in the nuts, and when they recover, they hit the report button the second they can.

My how something's never change. LOL
I can see how having an ugly wife could be embarrassing, and a person could be sensitive about it.

I would never had made that post had I realized it would be taken seriously, it was very flippant, and I never thought it would offend any more than the more vile parts that were actually acceptable.

I could have easily left out the reference to the wife, but, my fingers were flying faster than my brain was reading what I wrote.

I had an alert from a mod and it was deleted before I even had a chance to edit it.

I freely admit I was wrong in that post.

A fellow poster suffered some horrible personal insults about his wife and family. And he took it on the chin.

Also, an intrusion into his Facebook page, one of the slimes going so far as to reproduce a picture of him on the thread.

These people (don't have a word for them) act as though they have the perfect right to intrude and abuse others.

Which is not the same as disagreement. Or ideological differences.

I forgot to comment on this before. I had the same thing happen. Things from my facebook page posted on the open board. Please note...I am not "friends" with anyone on this board. Kind of narrowed it down ...if you know what I mean. Sad when you can't even trust your friends.

Well stated as usual. :thup:

Hell, if anyone on the board were targeted for group attacks, it should be me. And early on the group negging with Rati and her crowd under an openly corrupt mod who is now banned was common. But I was no fun for them, because I didn't react. So they moved on. Ignore the games and the offenders get bored and move on.

Well stated as usual. :thup:

Hell, if anyone on the board were targeted for group attacks, it should be me. And early on the group negging with Rati and her crowd under an openly corrupt mod who is now banned was common. But I was no fun for them, because I didn't react. So they moved on. Ignore the games and the offenders get bored and move on.

It doesn't always work that way. Nothing deters them, not even ignore. So in the end, it's best to use the function provided, so at least their turgid depressing crap is invisible to the naked eye.

It's the sense of entitlement to be like that, I don't get.

But they have their aficionados. And that's what matters to them.

Last edited:
They get the entitlement from no repercussions.

I can think of one... but I doubt they see it as such. Too self centered.

Bluegin, some psycology for you but it's very easy to be self-centered, prideful or be a victim to vanity, and in my case act as such, but It's very hard to be humble. You'll find that pride is a very common trait among not just men, but women also. It's human nature. emilynghiem

Bluegin, some psycology for you but it's very easy to be self-centered, prideful or be a victim to vanity, and in my case act as such, but It's very hard to be humble. You'll find that pride is a very common trait among not just men, but women also. It's human nature. emilynghiem
I do realize it's human nature. And I do try not to be prideful. Which is why I have given many openings of forgiveness even though the other party/parties were too prideful to take them (for a very along time ...years). Until finally a movie together and birthday wish. But...I learned a very valuable lesson. Don't put off today...what you may not have time for tomorrow.

I do realize it's human nature. And I do try not to be prideful. Which is why I have given many openings of forgiveness even though the other party/parties were too prideful to take them (for a very along time ...years). Until finally a movie together and birthday wish. But...I learned a very valuable lesson. Don't put off today...what you may not have time for tomorrow.

My moddo is work hard today so you will have free time tomorrow. That explains why I'm very sucessful and semi retired at 28.

Forum List

Back