To USMB- The ignore feature

Except that most of the time it does. Perhaps not for you, but 90% of the ignores here are due to the ignorer losing a debate to the ignoree and dealing with their humiliation by ignoring the one they lost to.

Do you really think there are "winners" and "losers" here? :D Anyway, I don't put people on ignore because of petty things like that, and obviously it's the same for others.

I don't put people on ignore because I don't like their opinions. I will sometimes temporarily put somebody on ignore who is just posting nonsense unrelated to the topic just to clutter up the thread and I get tired of hunting for the good posts in the midst of all that.

Same here. It would be pretty boring if you put everyone you disagreed with on ignore. What's the point?

This board gets enough traffic that you could put 50% of the posters on ignore and not notice anyway. :)
Yep, I'm up to three now, so I have a LONG way to go.

:laugh:

I have 3 too. :)

They get the entitlement from no repercussions.

I can think of one... but I doubt they see it as such. Too self centered.

Bluegin, some psycology for you but it's very easy to be self-centered, prideful or be a victim to vanity, and in my case act as such, but It's very hard to be humble. You'll find that pride is a very common trait among not just men, but women also. It's human nature. emilynghiem
I do realize it's human nature. And I do try not to be prideful. Which is why I have given many openings of forgiveness even though the other party/parties were too prideful to take them (for a very along time ...years). Until finally a movie together and birthday wish. But...I learned a very valuable lesson. Don't put off today...what you may not have time for tomorrow.

My moddo is work hard today so you will have free time tomorrow. That explains why I'm very sucessful and semi retired at 28.

I find this difficult to believe from a person who can't spell "motto" and other simple English words. :D

To return to the original concept of this thread though, avoiding the FZ isn't all that helpful when somebody is determined to make your life miserable. Most especially when it is an organized pack attack. But refusing to return hate and stupidity and childishness directed at you is usually the best policy. It isn't always successful and many a good person has been driven from a board that didn't act to deal with that kind of thing. USMB usually does if it gets bad enough though.

We no longer have rep because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. We no longer have a disagree button because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. And we are better off without both because the childish ones are almost certainly still with us.

Well stated as usual. :thup:

Hell, if anyone on the board were targeted for group attacks, it should be me. And early on the group negging with Rati and her crowd under an openly corrupt mod who is now banned was common. But I was no fun for them, because I didn't react. So they moved on. Ignore the games and the offenders get bored and move on.

It doesn't always work that way. Nothing deters them, not even ignore. So in the end, it's best to use the function provided, so at least their turgid depressing crap is invisible to the naked eye.

It's the sense of entitlement to be like that, I don't get.

But they have their aficionados. And that's what matters to them.

Things around here have gotten better since I used the ignore feature. If those particular ones are saying something, I wouldn't even know, so it doesn't bother me. :)

Bluegin, some psycology for you but it's very easy to be self-centered, prideful or be a victim to vanity, and in my case act as such, but It's very hard to be humble. You'll find that pride is a very common trait among not just men, but women also. It's human nature. emilynghiem

That would be "psychology." :D

Nastiness is one thing. Overt and gratuitous sexual comments and bullying are another. Best thing is to click them out.
Doesn't deter them, but by that stage, who cares. You can't see them anymore.

BUT, those also violate the forum rules and should be reported. Ignoring those who hold differing political views seems a bit counterproductive in a political forum. :dunno:

There are those who cannot stand any form of disagreement. Such people will argue with a post and they are unable to focus on a concept. Instead they attack/accuse the member and/or his source or swerve off into something totally different from the thread topic.

If you are trying to have an intelligent discussion about a concept or issue, it is so much easier to scroll over the comments of such people or put them on ignore. And that blunts the ability of such people from being able to derail a thread or prevent a discussion which I suspect is usually their intent in the first place.

Hi Foxfyre Can we have a psycho-therapy thread then?
And people can "recommend posters" there who need their thinking rewired
if they are otherwise derailing threads.

Maybe Judicial review and I can volunteer to experiment on these subjects, find out what conflicts make them tick. And untick them. If they can be rewired, maybe they can participate like normal. End of problem, or they may stop on their own.

Oh, it's that easy, huh? :lol: Maybe you should be teaching all the psychologist and psychiatrists.

I'm writing a book actually, Christine, on the study of mental health and the need to reevaluate not just how we treat, but exposing the most important part of the human brain - How it perceives. emilynghiem

:lol:

To return to the original concept of this thread though, avoiding the FZ isn't all that helpful when somebody is determined to make your life miserable. Most especially when it is an organized pack attack. But refusing to return hate and stupidity and childishness directed at you is usually the best policy. It isn't always successful and many a good person has been driven from a board that didn't act to deal with that kind of thing. USMB usually does if it gets bad enough though.

We no longer have rep because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. We no longer have a disagree button because the childish ones couldn't resist using it as a weapon. And we are better off without both because the childish ones are almost certainly still with us.

Well stated as usual. :thup:

Hell, if anyone on the board were targeted for group attacks, it should be me. And early on the group negging with Rati and her crowd under an openly corrupt mod who is now banned was common. But I was no fun for them, because I didn't react. So they moved on. Ignore the games and the offenders get bored and move on.

It doesn't always work that way. Nothing deters them, not even ignore. So in the end, it's best to use the function provided, so at least their turgid depressing crap is invisible to the naked eye.

It's the sense of entitlement to be like that, I don't get.

But they have their aficionados. And that's what matters to them.

Things around here have gotten better since I used the ignore feature. If those particular ones are saying something, I wouldn't even know, so it doesn't bother me. :)

It's liberating.

I do realize it's human nature. And I do try not to be prideful. Which is why I have given many openings of forgiveness even though the other party/parties were too prideful to take them (for a very along time ...years). Until finally a movie together and birthday wish. But...I learned a very valuable lesson. Don't put off today...what you may not have time for tomorrow.

My moddo is work hard today so you will have free time tomorrow. That explains why I'm very sucessful and semi retired at 28.

I find this difficult to believe from a person who can't spell "motto" and other simple English words. :D

Doesn't take english skillz to sell a Kirby. ;) Even you could do it.. ;)

That would be "psychology." :D

That time was my keyboard. Sometimes I push a key and it doesn't register. When it starts to get annoying I will replace it. ;)

BUT, those also violate the forum rules and should be reported. Ignoring those who hold differing political views seems a bit counterproductive in a political forum. :dunno:

There are those who cannot stand any form of disagreement. Such people will argue with a post and they are unable to focus on a concept. Instead they attack/accuse the member and/or his source or swerve off into something totally different from the thread topic.

If you are trying to have an intelligent discussion about a concept or issue, it is so much easier to scroll over the comments of such people or put them on ignore. And that blunts the ability of such people from being able to derail a thread or prevent a discussion which I suspect is usually their intent in the first place.

Maybe Judicial review and I can volunteer to experiment on these subjects, find out what conflicts make them tick. And untick them. If they can be rewired, maybe they can participate like normal. End of problem, or they may stop on their own.

Oh, it's that easy, huh? :lol: Maybe you should be teaching all the psychologist and psychiatrists.

I'm writing a book actually, Christine, on the study of mental health and the need to reevaluate not just how we treat, but exposing the most important part of the human brain - How it perceives. emilynghiem

I'm sure Emily will spell check it for me word for word. ;)

Quit messing with Emily. She's a nice lady who means well.

Don't worry me and her are very much alike come to find out in brains. However, I'm more emotional.

Don't worry me and her are very much alike come to find out in brains. However, I'm more emotional.

You aren't fooling me. :)

I'm more of a romantic Christine. When I watch the Pride and Predjuice with Colin Firth I focus on their relationship. Emily focuses on the terminology.

I'm more of a romantic Christine. When I watch the Pride and Predjuice with Colin Firth I focus on their relationship. Emily focuses on the terminology.

I focus on the relationship first, where the perceptions and differences are coming from,
and the terminology follows that is common to those people so we can communicate.

I focus on the relationship first, where the perceptions and differences are coming from,
and the terminology follows that is common to those people so we can communicate.

Does it make you feel happy? emilynghiem

Last edited:
Anyone taking being put on ignore - "personally" - should take it personally - because something is wrong.

Not with the person who put them on ignore. But with the person put on ignore and how they are interacting with that particular person or other persons.

Your statement is confusing. If someone puts you on ignore, you are the one that is being put on ignore, and you are saying to take it personally not with the person who put you on ignore, but with the person "put" on ignore......which is yourself! That would make it seem like if someone puts you on ignore, there is something wrong with you? I don't agree with that.....although there are some annoying persons that probably need to be put on ignore because they are constant trolls, but many people are just very sensitive and don't like controversy or being told they are wrong.....and they will put you on ignore when you challenge them. I certainly wouldn't consider something being wrong with me in such a case, but something being wrong with them. If you can't stand being challenged when you make comments, you have no business making statements that will cause that. Perhaps such people should stick to the Coffee Shop forums, or gardening or where there is no caustic debate going on.

I really don't give a crap who puts me on ignore. I'll still respond to their posts if I don't agree with what they say. I don't really care if they respond or not, and, I don't take it personally, this is just a sounding board, but if someone gets nasty with me, they're going to get nasty back.

Anyone taking being put on ignore - "personally" - should take it personally - because something is wrong.

Not with the person who put them on ignore. But with the person put on ignore and how they are interacting with that particular person or other persons.

Your statement is confusing. If someone puts you on ignore, you are the one that is being put on ignore, and you are saying to take it personally not with the person who put you on ignore, but with the person "put" on ignore......which is yourself! That would make it seem like if someone puts you on ignore, there is something wrong with you? I don't agree with that.....although there are some annoying persons that probably need to be put on ignore because they are constant trolls, but many people are just very sensitive and don't like controversy or being told they are wrong.....and they will put you on ignore when you challenge them. I certainly wouldn't consider something being wrong with me in such a case, but something being wrong with them. If you can't stand being challenged when you make comments, you have no business making statements that will cause that. Perhaps such people should stick to the Coffee Shop forums, or gardening or where there is no caustic debate going on.

I really don't give a crap who puts me on ignore. I'll still respond to their posts if I don't agree with what they say. I don't really care if they respond or not, and, I don't take it personally, this is just a sounding board, but if someone gets nasty with me, they're going to get nasty back.

It was not meant to be confusing. To simplify - your example is the best example. As you do not care who puts you on ignore you have no reason to expect you have a problem, Mertex. The normal person should not "care" whether someone else puts them on ignore.

If you take personally someone else putting you on ignore - then - you have ever reason to examine what personally is wrong with you to exact such an emotion. Understood? I hope so because I am quite certain I did explain this already on this thread.

It was not meant to be confusing. To simplify - your example is the best example. As you do not care who puts you on ignore you have no reason to expect you have a problem, Mertex. The normal person should not "care" whether someone else puts them on ignore.

If you take personally someone else putting you on ignore - then - you have ever reason to examine what personally is wrong with you to exact such an emotion. Understood? I hope so because I am quite certain I did explain this already on this thread.

Okay, I get what you are saying.....

The thing that gets annoying is when those who put someone on ignore and then try to use it as some sort of victory over that person. The thing is, if you had to put that person on ignore, you weren't strong enough to ignore them (without the use of a forum function) or to put them in their place.....so bragging about it just makes that person look weak and needy.....needy of approval from others that they did a heroic thing. The ignore function is for a person's own satisfaction of not having to deal with another person they don't like or don't want to have to converse with, not as some trophy that you won and can keep hitting them on the head with.

Okay, I get what you are saying.....

The thing that gets annoying is when those who put someone on ignore and then try to use it as some sort of victory over that person. The thing is, if you had to put that person on ignore, you weren't strong enough to ignore them (without the use of a forum function) or to put them in their place.....so bragging about it just makes that person look weak and needy.....needy of approval from others that they did a heroic thing. The ignore function is for a person's own satisfaction of not having to deal with another person they don't like or don't want to have to converse with, not as some trophy that you won and can keep hitting them on the head with.

Mertex! Darling! TRUST ME! I'm strong enough! There just isn't enough time in a day!

Forum List

Back